Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Replace that Sammy drive with a WD SN770 prices have come down a lot. Get a 1TB at Amazon.
You'll get much better read/write speeds and faster boot ups. Use the Sammy as a scratch drive.

also boot verbose, see where it slows down, may give some hint :)
This is a solid suggestion.

I tried booting with Command-V held down and sadly it did nothing. Then I googled how to display verbose booting in opencore and adding -v to the boot-args also didn't do anything, sadly.

I did enable trim and I followed you suggestion and removed agdpmod=pikera igfxonln=1 from the boot arguments. Thank you both! Booting was still slow, but again, I usually use sleep/wake so it's not that big of an issue.

I think I'll just live with it if I have to edit too much stuff to see verbose booting. As stated, I'm incredibly lazy. :)

Hey guys, it’s HackaShaq here! Just checking in after a long absence for a brief update. :)

I haven’t been around much because this build I made is still my main daily driver machine, and I honestly have no need for a new Mac. I’ve been running Catalina for years now, and this build has been flawless. Best decision I ever made. So that explains why I haven't been following this tread much since this build just works great for me.

Well, I had some time the other day and thought it would be fun to try to update this build to the latest version of macOS Monterey (currently 12.6).

Well, it’s all done:

So there you have it. An Idiot's Guide to macOS Monterey. I think it's funny that this is an opencore EFI now, but I used Clover Configurator and BBEdit for all tasks since that's all I know.

If anything goes haywire, I likely can’t really assist much since I still know nothing about opencore, but I wanted to pass this info along in case it helps anyone else out there with the same (or similar) build. So fire up a backup drive, use my include EFI, update those four unique machine items, and let it rip.

Cheers!

@HackaShaq

Glad to see you back! This build was the first hackintosh that got me started on the hackintosh adventure. Without your detailed guide I may never have succeeded. It has been over four years since I posted pictures of my build here that mimicked yours.

Since then I had upgraded the CPU to a i9-9900K, replaced the BeQuiet with a Corsair H115i Pro Cooler, installed a Fenvi card for WiFi and Bluetooth, and installed a flashed GC-Titan Ridge TB3 card.

I have also moved from Clover to OpenCore. Editing EFIs has been super-easy with the OpenCore Configurator app, which is not universally endorsed on tonymacx86.

I have installed Ventura Public Beta 5 and OC 0.8.4 on this hack and things seem to be working fine. So the future is still available for this "old" hack!

About.png

Thanks again for getting me started. I've graduated to a Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 hack.

@HackaShaq

Glad to see you back! This build was the first hackintosh that got me started on the hackintosh adventure. Without your detailed guide I may never have succeeded. It has been over four years since I posted pictures of my build here that mimicked yours.

Since then I had upgraded the CPU to a i9-9900K, replaced the BeQuiet with a Corsair H115i Pro Cooler, installed a Fenvi card for WiFi and Bluetooth, and installed a flashed GC-Titan Ridge TB3 card.

I have also moved from Clover to OpenCore. Editing EFIs has been super-easy with the OpenCore Configurator app, which is not universally endorsed on tonymacx86.

I have installed Ventura Public Beta 5 and OC 0.8.4 on this hack and things seem to be working fine. So the future is still available for this "old" hack!

View attachment 554729

Thanks again for getting me started. I've graduated to a Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 hack.
I'm so glad that my original build write up assisted you!

Great to hear that this machine has been future proofed and runs Ventura as well. All great stuff.
Thanks again for chiming in. Makes my day!

@HackaShaq

Hey NCMacGuy, do you have the exact specs/model of this Wifi/bluetooth card you are using?

If I jump back into grading this machine, it would be nice to add Wifi/bluetooth (for airdrop), and I just wanted it wouldn't hurt to use a WiFi card that is confirmed to work with this build.

Not sure if you're still using the Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 MoBo, but any feedback on an ideal Wifi/bluetooth card for this build, and any necessary Opencore tweaks needed would be great to know. Thanks!

Holy cow, OOB? No OC tweaks needed
Don't forget that you have to connect the BT cable to an internal USB 2.0 header on your mobo. Then set that to internal (255) in your USB ports kext.

Back