Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I did this build over a year ago and have been happy staying at High Sierra. However, I need to start using Premiere Pro, and I've discovered that I finally need to upgrade, probably to Catalina. Has anyone done this process? I've tried to update to Mojave as a first step, starting on a bootable external clone portable usb drive. So far, I haven't been able to get the Mojave installation to proceed. I've copied the EFI folder to the clone, updated SMC kext. Mojave seems to download from the app store, but isn't installing for some reason.

I did this build over a year ago and have been happy staying at High Sierra. However, I need to start using Premiere Pro, and I've discovered that I finally need to upgrade, probably to Catalina. Has anyone done this process? I've tried to update to Mojave as a first step, starting on a bootable external clone portable usb drive. So far, I haven't been able to get the Mojave installation to proceed. I've copied the EFI folder to the clone, updated SMC kext. Mojave seems to download from the app store, but isn't installing for some reason.

Yes, I had updated from High Sierra to Mojave. Just update all necessary kexts and clover.

Yes, I had updated from High Sierra to Mojave. Just update all necessary kexts and clover.
I'm having trouble updating Clover. I am using Clover configurator:
> Install/Update Clover
> Package (radio button)
> Check Now
> Update
> Bootloader
> Installation Type (install is to an external guinea pig drive, usb to usb c)
> Install (installaiton complete)
But when I reboot, Configurator is still telling me that I am on Clover v. 4630
I think that this is what is preventing me from updating to Mojave or Catalina. I have also tried using MultiBeast. When I try to update using my existing Clover, the update stops with a prohibited sign.

I'm having trouble updating Clover. I am using Clover configurator:
> Install/Update Clover
> Package (radio button)
> Check Now
> Update
> Bootloader
> Installation Type (install is to an external guinea pig drive, usb to usb c)
> Install (installaiton complete)
But when I reboot, Configurator is still telling me that I am on Clover v. 4630
I think that this is what is preventing me from updating to Mojave or Catalina. I have also tried using MultiBeast. When I try to update using my existing Clover, the update stops with a prohibited sign.

Download pkg file from the link and try to install it.

Since I used the same board and CPU, I used this thread for info – thanks for that. :)

From the start, I had problems with the Vega 56 GPU though: Black screen for an instant. Sometimes a few times in a row. I always thought was a misconfiguration or because it was a Hackintosh.

I didn't use it much and when I fired it up later, it asked for my (macOS) account password. I can't give that because I never set it up with a password. So now I can't get into it any more.

Because of Corona, I let my wife use the Windows partition so she could work from home. After a week, the GPU started to fail (black screens for seconds, more and more often in a row) so at least I now know it's not the system. I've send it back for guarantee repair, but this can easily take another month because it's now busy.

I have a old GTX 770 so I could try that instead, but I have no idea how to reset the macOS password.

Since I used the same board and CPU, I used this thread for info – thanks for that. :)

From the start, I had problems with the Vega 56 GPU though: Black screen for an instant. Sometimes a few times in a row. I always thought was a misconfiguration or because it was a Hackintosh.

I didn't use it much and when I fired it up later, it asked for my (macOS) account password. I can't give that because I never set it up with a password. So now I can't get into it any more.

Because of Corona, I let my wife use the Windows partition so she could work from home. After a week, the GPU started to fail (black screens for seconds, more and more often in a row) so at least I now know it's not the system. I've send it back for guarantee repair, but this can easily take another month because it's now busy.

I have a old GTX 770 so I could try that instead, but I have no idea how to reset the macOS password.

Have you follow the guide from Apple?

Have you follow the guide from Apple?

I feel so stupid. It never even came to my mind that such a thing might exist!

Can't test it now because my GPU is away for a month and the iGPU is disabled. Or can I just plug in the GTX 770??

I feel so stupid. It never even came to my mind that such a thing might exist!

Can't test it now because my GPU is away for a month and the iGPU is disabled. Or can I just plug in the GTX 770??

GTX 770 should work natively.

I currently have a Z370 Gaming 5 board with a Nvidia GTX 1080, so I am stuck using High Sierra. I have been having issues with HID Legacy Shim 2 crash on boot. Also wouldn't anyone know of a good guide for HS on the gaming 5 board with EFI I could use as a learning tool. Funny my 15" Razer blade advanced was easier to get working correctly then this system. Thanks in Advance.

Hey, guys! If anyone wants to do a clean install and use OpenCore bootloader, I have a made a folder that should be OK for everyone with our motherboard.
I don't say that is stable, is only for testing and learning.

First of all, download Catalina to application folder, then run the command to make a bootable USB.

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Where MyVolume, put the name of your USB stick. It will take about 20 minutes to complete.
After that, mount with Hackintool or Clover Configurator the USB and put the EFI folder inside.

Now you should be able to install Catalina with OpenCore. After the installation completes, mount the main drive with Hackintool and put the EFI folder so you can boot from your main disk without the USB.

If someone has a Navi graphics card (RX 5500, 5600, 5700), we have to add agdpmod=pikera to config.plist

To do this we have to use ProperTree-master (google it) run proppertree.command and select the config file.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 8.39.00 AM.png

Also with open core we have to to disable from bios the CSM support and enable ABOVE 4G Decondig.

IMG_2688.jpeg IMG_2689.jpeg

That's all. Happy testing ;)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Back