Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Congrats man.. How ya liking the upgrade ? I see your running Catalina, not sure why other than being a glutton for punishment, But Ive been toying with the idea of upgrading to it over Mojave? I have the Vega 64 which I love I just bought the vII but not sure if it will have the sleep issue and Fans Ramping up.. Not to mention if I would see any difference in the apps I use mainly Adobe CS (PS, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver) and occasional gaming on Windows?

Congrats man.. How ya liking the upgrade ? I see your running Catalina, not sure why other than being a glutton for punishment, But Ive been toying with the idea of upgrading to it over Mojave? I have the Vega 64 which I love I just bought the vII but not sure if it will have the sleep issue and Fans Ramping up.. Not to mention if I would see any difference in the apps I use mainly Adobe CS (PS, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver) and occasional gaming on Windows?

For me at least Catalina is same stable as Mojave. I don't have any problems at all. In gaming at Windows, for sure, I saw a lot of difference in comparison the RX 580 that I had before because I have a 4K display.
The only thing I've have to add at config.plist was a "agdpmod=pikera" to boot correctly to Catalina with RX 5700.
Sleep is working flawlessly.As far for the fans of RX 5700 Pulse edition, I don't even hear them. This card is very quiet.

I just returned my 7,1 Mac Pro w/ 12cores 32 gigs and my 3rd party Vega 64.. Honestly I just couldn't come to terms with spending $8k on a machine that frankly performed slightly better than this machine and the fact I couldn't get the Vega VII to run perfectly (Fans spin up at sleep) and also had conflicts with 2 driverless NVMe sleds I had added for my additional 2TB of flash storage. Kept getting conflicts between USB and Bluetooth. Not to mention the Vega 64 outperformed the Vega VII in most benches with the exception of Lux, and I don't do video editing. I'm still trying to get custom machine exact SSDT and DSDT files to work. But using spare parts laying around and getting this kinda performance was shocking I thought for sure the 7,1 was gonna crush it. LOL

Last edited:
For me at least Catalina is same stable as Mojave. I don't have any problems at all. In gaming at Windows, for sure, I saw a lot of difference in comparison the RX 580 that I had before because I have a 4K display.
The only thing I've have to add at config.plist was a "agdpmod=pikera" to boot correctly to Catalina with RX 5700.
Sleep is working flawlessly.As far for the fans of RX 5700 Pulse edition, I don't even hear them. This card is very quiet.

Ha I updated to Catalina Last night and Thank you for the confidence went w/out a hitch! Smooth as butter upgrade :) So now Im really getting Ballsy, I got the Alpine Ridge TB3 card before and could not get stable, it seems most of the comments I read with Titan Ridge seem to have greater success? I should be getting it tomorrow and am very hopeful I can get it running right. If so I will be one happy camper :)

Ha I updated to Catalina Last night and Thank you for the confidence went w/out a hitch! Smooth as butter upgrade :) So now Im really getting Ballsy, I got the Alpine Ridge TB3 card before and could not get stable, it seems most of the comments I read with Titan Ridge seem to have greater success? I should be getting it tomorrow and am very hopeful I can get it running right. If so I will be one happy camper :)
Re: Alpine Ridge for this Z370 8700K build: Here ya' go, sport! Good for RP21.

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 75
  • SSDT-Z370-TB3HP.aml
    5.7 KB · Views: 88

Thank you... Is this just for Alpine ridge or would it work for Titan Ridge? I returned the Alpine card and ordered the Titan :( I can return the Titan and reorder the Alpine? The system has been rock solid with my current build with a Fenvi WiFi card, Vega 64 and 3 1TB NVMe SSD's. My Titan gets delivered today lol.. either way also I am running f11 now but I believe the Alpine only runs on f7 ? If this didn’t work my next try was going to be a Z390 Designeer motherboard. I order an open box off Amazon a few weeks ago, and it came with bent pins in the CPU slot and only 1 memory stick worked. lol That’s what prompted me to get the 7,1 Mac. Sometimes it feels like I run around in circles. lol

Quick update, I got The Titan Ridge Card in today after scrambling to find the extra power adaptors for my PSU to add the extra power needed for this card and finally plugged it all in. (Unlike the Alpine Ridge which I returned. Unfortunately, this thing has an extra USB connection as well as the power.) I tried inserting these patched SSDT files, and, while it shows up in my PCI section of about this machine, none of the ports work? I updated from F10 to F11 with no luck. I have a friend who has a Z390 Designeer board and his works flawlessly? Hotplug, etc., all functional. Think I should just get that board and see if I can make it run there. I'm batting 0 on this effort. Everyone said it was tough, but, oh my gosh, this is aggravating beyond belief!

Thank you... Is this just for Alpine ridge or would it work for Titan Ridge? I returned the Alpine card and ordered the Titan :( I can return the Titan and reorder the Alpine? The system has been rock solid with my current build with a Fenvi WiFi card, Vega 64 and 3 1TB NVMe SSD's. My Titan gets delivered today lol.. either way also I am running f11 now but I believe the Alpine only runs on f7 ? If this didn’t work my next try was going to be a Z390 Designeer motherboard. I order an open box off Amazon a few weeks ago, and it came with bent pins in the CPU slot and only 1 memory stick worked. lol That’s what prompted me to get the 7,1 Mac. Sometimes it feels like I run around in circles. lol

Delete, please...

Last edited:
Quick update, I got The Titan Ridge Card in today after scrambling to find the extra power adaptors for my PSU to add the extra power needed for this card and finally plugged it all in. (Unlike the Alpine Ridge which I returned. Unfortunately, this thing has an extra USB connection as well as the power.) I tried inserting these patched SSDT files, and, while it shows up in my PCI section of about this machine, none of the ports work? I updated from F10 to F11 with no luck. I have a friend who has a Z390 Designeer board and his works flawlessly? Hotplug, etc., all functional. Think I should just get that board and see if I can make it run there. I'm batting 0 on this effort. Everyone said it was tough, but, oh my gosh, this is aggravating beyond belief!

My Titan Ridge card is in slot 4. I don't think you have to attach the USB. I'm using mine only for Thunderbolt connectivity. Remember that you have to activate the Thunderbolt card in Windows first: You have to load the driver from the optical disk that came with the card. (Or download the right one from GigaByte.) See page 1 of this guide and setup your BIOS. I have one BIOS setting for Windows and one for the Hack. I never boot into my Windows SSDs while OS X SSDs are attached. Here are the Titan Ridge patches for this Z370 build:

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 78
  • SSDT-Z370-TB3HP.aml
    5.7 KB · Views: 78
@SebErr I'm one the latest - F7 BIOS.

@SebErr and @borob120 I tend not to use external drives, but for a experiment and I removed one of my SSD's and tried sleep with it plugged in. Yep, I'm getting the dreaded 'Disk Not Ejected Properly' message upon rebooting.

With a bit of further investigation, I have found that this is a problem for Mac users as well as Hackintosh users alike. There is a few scripts that are on various forums including this one that purport to fix this issue, but an elegant solution that has worked all day for me is an app called 'Jettison'. It has a free trial, and only costs $7.95 Australian dollars. I like to keep things simple and this app has been around since 2011(?) so it's quite mature, so I bought it. No problems now!

I've also nearly finished documenting the SSDT for the USB, but I discovered while testing today that I was wrong to say you don't need this. You do need to use the PMHeart patch for 10.13.6 to open up all 26 USB ports. So if you haven't already, include this in the KextsToPatch section of your Clover config.plist, do so:

Code:
Name: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
Find: 837D880F 0F83A704 0000
Replace: 837D880F 90909090 9090
Comment: USB 10.13.6+ by PMHeart
MatchOS: 10.13.x

I've ordered a Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Version 2 card today. I'll report back later next week when it arrives. I don't have any TB3 devices ATM, but will eventually be buying an eGPU enclosure, but I guess I can see if it can talk to my USB devices until then.

Lastly if you are after the USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB cable, type this into eBay or Amazon etc... '0.5m USB3.1 Front Panel Header Type-E to USB-C Type-C Female Extension Cord Wire'. Very cheap, and will give you another 10Mbit USB 3.1 Gen 2 port.
I'm currently prepping my SSDT. I'm on 10.14.5, and I'm trying to get my 3 USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports to show up. Am I understanding you correctly that there is a patch to open up these 3.1 Gen 2 ports?

Back