Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hi guys,

one year after my first successful Hackintosh build with the config presented in this thread, I updated from Mojave to Catalina.

Everything seems to work, but I have two weird issues:

1. The loading bar right before the Catalina desktop presents itself (white loading bar on black ground without Apple logo) is showing “fuzzy” (i.e. the bar is not a straight line but has some drawing issues). See here:

View attachment 442335

2. Having updated to Catalina, Mail.app seems to have forgotten *all* Passwords for all Accounts. Even when I am reentering the correct passwords, it won’t work (“Unable to verify account name or password”). I even tried to disable the Little Snitch firewall but that didn’t help either.

Does someone have a clue on how to fix this? Especially the second issue (without having to remove and readd all accounts)?

Edit: Apparently, I found a solution to the second issue. As described in detail here, one has to paste the password into the password-field in the respective account in Internet Accounts and then press tab (why, Apple, why? :-O). This way, the password gets saved. Then, Internet Accounts and Mail.app can be closed / quitted and once Mail.app is opened again, the connection can be made to that account. Repeat this for every account you have and Mail.app is up and running again.

Thanks
hackmymac

Which version of Clover are you using? Have you the latest Lilu and WEG?

After 4 weeks of trying to get Mojave to run smooth on my i7-8700K, Z370 Gaming 7 with Alpine Ridge TB3 add-on card, I'm throwing in the towel. I decided to go back to Hackintosh because of the constant throttling on my '18 Mac Mini with Vega 64 eGPU. Well, I guess I don't have the will to listen to my wife bitch that its 4am and time to come to bed, LOL. I had a functional system but too many glitches to deem usable as an all day device. I wish I had half as much talent as you guys do.. Don't think I've felt this discouraged in a long time

After 4 weeks of trying to get Mojave to run smooth on my i7-8700K, Z370 Gaming 7 with Alpine Ridge TB3 add-on card, I'm throwing in the towel. I decided to go back to Hackintosh because of the constant throttling on my '18 Mac Mini with Vega 64 eGPU. Well, I guess I don't have the will to listen to my wife bitch that its 4am and time to come to bed, LOL. I had a functional system but too many glitches to deem usable as an all day device. I wish I had half as much talent as you guys do.. Don't think I've felt this discouraged in a long time

You can take the Thunderbolt card out and likely have a awesomely running system. I am not sure what you need the TB3 for but I have a Gaming 5. It runs rock solid as long as I keep the Thunderbolt away from it. I also have a 2018 Mac Mini with Vega eGPU but it is about 32% slower then in the hack. I have the Mac Mini set up on the network in case I absolutely need to have TB3.

On another note you could get a laptop stand for your Mac Mini. I have one similar to the one called Beststand. If you flip your Mac Mini over and have metal to metal contact and have a case fan blowing on the system it keeps it running much cooler. It basically acts like a big heat sync.

Last edited:
You can take the Thunderbolt card out and likely have a awesomely running system. I am not sure what you need the TB3 for but I have a Gaming 5. It runs rock solid as long as I keep the Thunderbolt away from it. I also have a 2018 Mac Mini with Vega eGPU but it is about 32% slower then in the hack. I have the Mac Mini set up on the network in case I absolutely need to have TB3.

On another note you could get a laptop stand for your Mac Mini. I have one similar to the one called Beststand. If you flip your Mac Mini over and have metal to metal contact and have a case fan blowing on the system it keeps it running much cooler. It basically acts like a big heat sync.

I have a 1TB OWC Envoy, OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock.. The main reason I wanted the Hackintosh once more was for the added speed (As a means to thwart me from the temptation of buying a new Mac Pro, Honestly I really believe its way overpriced, If I was to stay on the Hack Id really want it running equally to what I have but I can't even say that, the damn bootcamp with egpu is a joke.. I just Donno So aggravated. I have my Mini upside down on top of my relatively cool Sonnet EGPU and if I run anything of substance it throttles.. APPPLE does suck when it comes to their computers thermals, I get it Small compact "ELEGANT" but I wanna system that works! Cant get it with a $2500 mini and can't get it with the HAckintosh. Uggggggggggg
Currently I have 11 Authentic Macs The mini is my home machine its got 32 gigs ram 6 core i7 processor, and of course the Vega64.. another major issue with mini is dual booting windows.. the egpu causes so many problems its stupid.Half the time I can't get it to install then when I do It doesn't always see the egpu or just hangs...

Last edited:
I have a 1TB OWC Envoy, OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock.. The main reason I wanted the Hackintosh once more was for the added speed (As a means to thwart me from the temptation of buying a new Mac Pro, Honestly I really believe its way overpriced, If I was to stay on the Hack Id really want it running equally to what I have but I can't even say that, the damn bootcamp with egpu is a joke.. I just Donno So aggravated. I have my Mini upside down on top of my relatively cool Sonnet EGPU and if I run anything of substance it throttles.. APPPLE does suck when it comes to their computers thermals, I get it Small compact "ELEGANT" but I wanna system that works! Cant get it with a $2500 mini and can't get it with the HAckintosh. Uggggggggggg

So your not using the Thunderbolt for anything you "need" only that you would like to have it. With the PC case and the board you bought you have more than enough drive expansion room so the TB need that is on the MacMini is not really a need situation on a Hack. Once again this is a want/need situation. I would say based on your specs that with the removal of TB3 the system would be rock solid. People that have Hotplug working do not have sleep or lose the TB3 when the computer sleeps. There is no perfect solution for TB3 and Hackntosh its always going to break something.

I was under the impression that the TB3 controller on 2018 Mac Mini did not work in windows under bootcamp did they change that?

I have I7 2018 Mac mini and before going back to a Hack I ran UE4 Studio my projects generally are around 13 gigs or so processor was always blasting. Get Mac Fan Control and turn the fan up I never had throttling issues.

OK. I took your advice and pulled the TB3 card rebooted 10 times no problem. I then got slick, and figured I want my cake and eat it, too, & decided to put my 1TB NVMe OWC stick in the empty slot. Well, now getting an error ptidsensors started and then crashes?

Attachments

• 19CF3E0F-6F48-46AF-90A7-B24E3F4A359C.jpeg
    19CF3E0F-6F48-46AF-90A7-B24E3F4A359C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 67
Somehow I got it running by moving my fenvi fv-ac1900 wifi card to the top slot formally occupied by the TB3 Alpine card? Whatever it worked. System seems stable, OWC 1TB ssd is working flawlessly and I think I have an extra Thunderbolt3 dock in my possession but overall its working, I don't like that it froze up and couldn't get in till moving the cards, but uggg Its soo much faster than the mini :( If I can just get a working efi life would be good.. Can anyone help me with straightening this config efi out, Please
Vega is in bottom 16x slot and fenvi is in top slot..

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    25.4 MB · Views: 79
Somehow I got it running by moving my fenvi fv-ac1900 wifi card to the top slot formally occupied by the TB3 Alpine card? Whatever it worked. System seems stable, OWC 1TB ssd is working flawlessly and I think I have an extra Thunderbolt3 dock in my possession but overall its working, I don't like that it froze up and couldn't get in till moving the cards, but uggg Its soo much faster than the mini :( If I can just get a working efi life would be good.. Can anyone help me with straightening this config efi out, Please
Vega is in bottom 16x slot and fenvi is in top slot..

Here is my EFI since our boards are pretty much the same board. I cycled all the SN numbers and board numbers and UUID's and such but I guess you should do it again because anyone can grab this one. Our USB is different since I have a gaming 5 not a 7 But the rest of the settings should not matter. If you tell me what HS/SS number for the ports you want enabled I can make the USB SSDT file for you using the Kext less method.

Regarding putting the OWC drive inside your computer that is kind of what I was suggesting to you when I said you had plenty of room on the inside for drives and such.

I do not know what you mean bottom 16x slot the top slot 16x slot is the only one that operates at 16x the middle 16x slot operates at 8x and the bottom one only at 4x. So from the CPU you should have the fentvi in 1x and then the Vega 16x, then more slots for other things. see below.

You had all kinds of craziness in you EFI Z370 pretty much can run with very very little in the config and in the EFI Folder.

On my board if an M.2 drive is in the bottom M.2 slot it disables the bottom 16x PCIE slot or the one that operates at 4x. Maybe that is why you got an error with the drive and the wifi card.

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
    * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
  2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
    * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot operates at up to x8 mode.
  3. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
    * The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the M2P_32G connector. The PCIEX4 slot operates at up to x2 mode when a PCIe SSD is installed in the M2P_32G connector.
  4. 3 x PCI Express x1 slots
    * The PCIEX1_3 slot shares bandwidth with the SATA3 1 connector. The SATA3 1 connector becomes unavailable when the PCIEX1_3 is populated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.2 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OK, the edit you had has worked outta the gate. Thankyou much! I added my Atheros kext to kext/other filer in the EFI and all seems to be working. :) I had a couple odd errors but have since disappeared since the 3rd boot. Hope it stays stable. So far, running my creative suit with no issues but I will keep you posted. Damn TB3 card not running six but eh... Thanks again on both issues.

OK the edit you had has worked outta the gate...

Pretty sure your USB is only operating at 2.0 since they are not configured. I will look see if I can find your USB port layout somewhere and make you a file. But even then something is going to have to be turned off or left as USB2.0. Yea the TB3 thing is a drag from the perspective of it would be cool if it was working, but I do not have any TB devices.

Back