Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Nope! I'm in the middle of updating my sig. F13 and iMac 18.3 on Mojave. FWIW, the Blackmagic Design MultiDock 2 doesn't have a power switch. The UAD Apollo 8 Quad is the one that won't reconnect when it's power-cycled. Not a big deal anymore.

I guess the good thing is that you now have two TB ports and they work, except for the elusive hotplug! :headbang::clap:

My Titan Ridge died a couple of days ago. I think it was all the mucking around with it trying all sorts of variations etc to get it to work with my RX 580 in my Razor Core X eGPU. I have since replaced it, and have updated my motherboard to a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro. I will be giving my Z370 to my son.
Interestingly there is more settings in the BIOS for the thunderbolt side of things.... something I will investigate further. The system using my current Z370 EFI boots to macOS and quicker!

USB Patch and Apple USB Power Patch Mini Guide

I have managed to get USB Apple USB power for iPhones and iPads working, at least on my system on this mobo. Because a lot of users have been having problems firstly patching their USB ports and also the changes that have impacted this process since Mojave 10.14.1+, I have incorporated this USB patching and the extra USB power features for iPhones and iPads in this mini guide.

Thanks @RehabMan for his initial guide on this & @balazs631 for his simplified mini guide.

Edit: 18th Dec 2018
I have made a mistake in the discovery of the USB ports that which affects the charging on the F_USB30 ports, usually these are connected to two USB3 ports on your case....:oops:
So I have uploaded a new SSDT-UIAC-EC-18.3.aml file. Just copy it over your existing one.
I believe all is well now, but please give feedback on whether it has worked for you or not.

Notes:
  1. This post is only for the Aorus z370 Gaming 7 v1.0 F11 BIOS. Other mobos in this series may work as they have similar hardware, but I can't confirm this as I only have the Aorus z370 Gaming 7 v1.0. Give it a try.
  2. I have only tested this on Mohave 10.14.2 (18C54).
  3. My system definition is iMac18,3 and the files that I have attached are for this build only. This is important, as other model definitions can cause issues e.g iMac14,2. So if you or others are trying to see or get this going, please note this is for iMac18,3 only, as it is what I have and I can only test on this model identifier!
  4. I have been using the FB-Patcher created USBPorts.kext to get all of my USB ports working. I haven't had time to see if this works with this method, so I have reverted back to the SSDT-UIAC method by @RehabMan. Now I know some people have had a lot of trouble understanding this method, so I have attached a SSDT-UIAC-EC-18.3.aml file that exposes the following USB ports - HS01-HS10 & SS01-SS065. Don't worry if you don't understand this, but please note as I don't know whether you have any USB devices attached to the internal mobo ports e.g
    Code:
    HS07 = F_USB1 (bottom pins)
    HS08 = F_USB1 (top pins)
    HS09 = F_USB2 (bottom pins)
    HS10 = F_USB2 (top pins)

I have these 4 ports marked as internal on my mobo because I have 4 internal devices permanently connected to them. If they are not marked as internal, then you will get sleep problems. E.g the PC will go to sleep, and then immediately awake. For testing purposes and for what I believe most users will have I have only provided this file with all USB ports marked as external.
Installation

EFI Folder

1. Mount you EFI folder using your favourite method.
  2. If you have been using the USBPorts.kext FB-Patcher, move this file from the /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory to somewhere safe...
  3. If you have been using a patched SSDT-UIAC.aml (or whatever you have called it), file in your /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory, then move it as per point 2 above. Later on you can try replacing my SSDT with yours, but to make sure that this process is working for you try mine first as I can't fault find using unknown a SSDT.
  4. Copy the three attached files into your /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory.
USBInjectALL
  1. Install the latest USBInjectAll.kext to your /Library/Extensions directory using your favourite method. If you have done it manually, then make sure you have updated the kernel cache by running the following commands in a terminal.
    Code:
    sudo touch /Library/Extensions
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo kextcache -i /
Clover config.plist
  1. You no longer require and it doesn't work anyway, any 26 port patches in your Kernel and Kext Patches section, so just remove them, or disable them. See mine below: (Note you most probably don't have the 10GBe ethernet card!)View attachment 372852
  2. In your ACPI section, remove or disable any EHC1, EHC2 or other USB patches. See mine below:View attachment 372855
  3. Save your config.plist
  4. Reboot
Post Installation

When you have rebooted if all is well, you should have all USB ports including USB 3 ports.
If you plug in your iPhone or iPad, and then open the USB Tab in System Information app you should get something similar to the following:
View attachment 372864

My iPhone 6 was around 35% charged, and I connected my USB power meter and it showed that that I was charging at 1200ma. This figure changes (reduces) as the device recharges. See picture below:
View attachment 372858

I have no other Apple devices to test further, and from what I understand it's only Apple devices that can demand the extra current, and it's unknown to me if this hardware can actually provide the full 2100ma, so I await feedback on this or if anyone finds errors please let me know as I'll try to help.

Jim:geek:

Hi Jim,

I always meant to ask you about this patch and it's relation to using the Fractal Define R6 case. I'd been getting a bit paranoid about "too many USB ports" so I started polling the case. I've mapped out what ports do what for my case and I’ve concluded that the HS01 and SS01 connections are attached to a hidden internal USB hub that's glued-in and jammed under the front hood and next to the power switch. Just in case this is of any use to anyone with the same setup: jb provided exactly 15 USB ports. Thanks @jb007 !

Front USB Ports reading from left to right from the front of the PC:

HS08 @14800000 Front USB port 1: 1st port from left: USB 2 port
HS07 @14700000 Front USB port 2: 2nd port from left: USB 2 port
HS01 @14120000 Front USB port 3: 3rd port from left: USB 2 port
HS01 @14110000 Front USB port 4: 4th port from left: USB 2 port
SS01 @14b10000 Front USB port 3: 4th port from left: USB 3.0 port
SS01 @14b20000 Front USB port 4: 3rd port from left: USB 3.0 port

Rear USB Ports reading from top to bottom looking at the back of vertical case:

HS02 @14200000 Blue rear bottom USB port: USB 2
SS02 @14c00000 Blue rear bottom USB port: USB 3
HS03 @14300000 Yellow rear top left USB port: USB 2
SS03 @14d00000 Yellow rear top left USB port: USB 3.0
HS04 @14400000 Yellow rear top right USB port: USB 2
SS04 @14e00000 Yellow rear top right USB port: USB 3.0
HS05 @14500000 Blue rear mid left USB port: USB 2
SS05 @14f00000 Blue rear mid left USB port: USB 3.0
HS06 @14600000 Blue rear mid right USB port: USB 2 only.

???? @00300000 Red rear bottom USB 3.1 port: USB 3 only? -Maybe not part of the patch’s intended setup?

All ports verified with a USB 2 iLok and a USB 3.0 CF Card reader.

Anyway, it was an interesting "discovery" -ha ha... FWIW, I mostly just run everything off of a huge Xcellon powered USB hub.

I wanted to make a build based off of this thread. I pretty much bought everything. I just need to know a good BT/WiFi card that would be compatible. Also, will this setup work for Mojave? Thanks.

Thanks @jiffyslot. You are using this same set up for Mojave then? Do you know any compatible BT/WF options?

I wanted to make a build based off of this thread. I pretty much bought everything. I just need to know a good BT/WiFi card that would be compatible. Also, will this setup work for Mojave? Thanks.
A good place to start is the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide, Accessories section. What is the maximum wireless speed does your router support.

Back