Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I am actually curious if F12 is more functional than F12c (which was a release candidate not final version). many of us tried 12 release candidate build and saw that it's not possible to boot on that bios. but if F12 final resolves that, it'd probably be a better run to run because i believe the microcode update was vulnerability fixes in microcode.

I am actually curious if F12 is more functional than F12c (which was a release candidate not final version). many of us tried 12 release candidate build and saw that it's not possible to boot on that bios. but if F12 final resolves that, it'd probably be a better run to run because i believe the microcode update was vulnerability fixes in microcode.
Hi @MysticalOS, I've tried this new F12 version, and can't get it to boot either of my Mojave SSD or even the Mojave install disk. I've even gone as far as removing all of my NVMe M.2 drives, Vega64 and Titan Ridge.

It's throwing up errors in the ACPI side of things, as well as there is an ACPI error saying:
"ACPI Exception: AE_BAD_PARAMETER, Could not install PciConfigHandler for Root Bridge PCI0 (20160930/evrgnini-339)"
Depending on what devices I have installed it proceeds further then halts.

Under linux it also complains about ACPI in the error logs, but soldiers on and boots okay, same as Windows 10.

Spent far too much time with this Gigabyte motherboard and their BIOS 'updates'! Might look at getting a ASUS mobo to replace this.

If anyone succeeds with this F12 BIOS, please post and let us know.

Jim

I am running OSX off my M.2 960 EVO, and it runs flawlessly. Now I am trying to install Win10 to dual-boot, and my BIOS nor Disk Utility will recognize the 860 EVO. But it will recognize my HDD using the same power and SATA cables, and SATA port. I've tried with two brand new 860's and same issue for both. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I am running OSX off my M.2 960 EVO, and it runs flawlessly. Now I am trying to install Win10 to dual-boot, and my BIOS nor Disk Utility will recognize the 860 EVO. But it will recognize my HDD using the same power and SATA cables, and SATA port. I've tried with two brand new 860's and same issue for both. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Have you tried all Sata ports of your motherboard?

Yeah, I was hoping the release version of F12 fixed ACPI error. It sounds to me like their Qa sucks and hasn't noticed error since Windows or whatever they use to test it can kind of ignore it. macOS is a bit more fickle with bad ACPI errors. It could maybe be fixed with ACPI patching to resolve whatever they screwed up in it but not worth hassle when F11 is fine. I may use the firmware modification tool to install latest CPU microcode on top of F11 and go about it that way.

Yeah I was hoping the release version of F12 fixed ACPI error. it sounds to me like their Qa sucks and hasn't noticed error since windows or whatever they use to test it can kind of ignore it. macOS is a bit more fickle with bad ACPI errors. It could maybe be fixed with ACPI patching to resolve whatever they screwed up in it but not worth hassle when F11 is fine. I may use the firmware modification tool to install latest CPU microcode on top of F11 and go about it that way.

It's a pity that Gigabyte don't also state what has really been changed in the firmware, i.e a changelog, or am I missing something? I know that most users don't care or understand what changes have been made, but I do.

You are right, macOS is a lot more fussy with ACPI errors. I see less errors when I look in Linux on F11, compared to F12, and don't even mention F12C. Also why do Gigabyte release F12C if it's a release candidate without saying so on their web site? IMHO it's very poor to release a RC on the general public without them knowing!

Just got my eGPU finally working properly with my TB3 Titan Ridge on macOS 10.14.3. Now to see if I can get it to hot plug, like my OCW TB3 10GBe adapter does!

Can you share more information for this?
Just got my eGPU finally working properly with my TB3 Titan Ridge on macOS 10.14.3. Now to see if I can get it to hot plug, like my OCW TB3 10GBe adapter does!
I only got eGPU working in Alpine Ridge (Asus EX3)(only 1 port)... so very interested in only use Titan Ridge (2 port)

Can you share more information for this?

I only got eGPU working in Alpine Ridge (Asus EX3)(only 1 port)... so very interested in only use Titan Ridge (2 port)
I haven't got it to hot plug ATM. When I remove and plug the eGPU (fitted with a RX 580) it reconnects and the display drivers are loaded with all of the settings in IOreg showing, but a black screen. If I get it to hot plug (the holy grail of TB!), I'll be shouting it from the roof tops. My OCW TB3 10GBe hot plugs just fine.
I'm finding it hard to understand the process of hot plugging in macOS, but I hope to nut it out before I go completely mad.
I don't know how this will translate to your ASUS Prime Mobo though. I might have to ask to borrow a friends mac book pro to see if I can gleam further info.

I thought KGP had TB3 working with Titan Ridge on your Mobo? Is the eGPU hot plugging on your current setup?

I haven't got it to hot plug ATM. When I remove and plug the eGPU (fitted with a RX 580) it reconnects and the display drivers are loaded with all of the settings in IOreg showing, but a black screen. If I get it to hot plug (the holy grail of TB!), I'll be shouting it from the roof tops. My OCW TB3 10GBe hot plugs just fine.
I'm finding it hard to understand the process of hot plugging in macOS, but I hope to nut it out before I go completely mad.
I don't know how this will translate to your ASUS Prime Mobo though. I might have to ask to borrow a friends mac book pro to see if I can gleam further info.

I thought KGP had TB3 working with Titan Ridge on your Mobo? Is the eGPU hot plugging on your current setup?

Thunderbolt hot-plug/power-swap for me (using my build hardware) is in this state on the Alpine Ridge, Rev. 2, Slot 4, header cable attached. I am using genuine Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 dongles and cables:
  1. Single port only: Port 1.
  2. Thunderbolt basic functionality even without an SSDT.
  3. UAD Apollo 8 Quad Thunderbolt 2 must be fully powered up before boot for driver recognition.
  4. No hot swap/power swap with the UAD Apollo 8 Quad Thunderbolt 2 blackface units.
  5. Maximum connection speed is 2.5 GT/s
  6. Booting into Windows 10, both Thunderbolt ports work and power-swap/hot-swap works.
Close enough. I'm betting that Apple-grade/Windows-grade true hot plug will never work with the Z370. That's fine. I'll just flip-on the UAD power before I boot. I built this machine to be a DAW and at that task, it runs great. Flipping a switch is cheaper (to me) than dropping $5k on a throttle-mac. Lesson: Hackintosh + Thunderbolt = Big Hassle.

If you're going to build a DAW, plan on using either a PCIe connected interface, or a real USB 3 interface, or a Dante-type system. You'll thank me later. ;)

Thunderbolt hot-plug/power-swap for me (using my build hardware) is in this state on the Alpine Ridge, Rev. 2, Slot 4, header cable attached. I am using genuine Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 dongles and cables:
  1. Single port only: Port 1.
  2. Thunderbolt basic functionality even without an SSDT.
  3. UAD Apollo 8 Quad Thunderbolt 2 must be fully powered up before boot for driver recognition.
  4. No hot swap/power swap with the UAD Apollo 8 Quad Thunderbolt 2 blackface units.
  5. Maximum connection speed is 2.5 GT/s
  6. Booting into Windows 10, both Thunderbolt ports work and power-swap/hot-swap works.
Close enough. I'm betting that Apple-grade/Windows-grade true hot plug will never work with the Z370. That's fine. I'll just flip-on the UAD power before I boot. I built this machine to be a DAW and at that task, it runs great. Flipping a switch is cheaper (to me) than dropping $5k on a throttle-mac. Lesson: Hackintosh + Thunderbolt = Big Hassle.

If you're going to build a DAW, plan on using either a PCIe connected interface, or a real USB 3 interface, or a Dante-type system. You'll thank me later. ;)
Hi @jiffyslot. I'm just concentrating on the Titan Ridge ATM. I know all about the Alpine Ridge and only Port 1 working. Unfortunately as previously stated, I don't have any TB3 Audio devices, but my eGPU currently fitted with a RX 580 is recognised in either port of my Titan Ridge.
I get this if I disconnect it!›
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 10.33.47 am.png

I agree, something is very flaky about the whole setup, but I like to try things for myself before giving up. My TB3 OCW 10GBe ethernet adapter hot plugs with no issues.

My Dell monitors I think are part of my problem, sometimes I have to remove the power on them before they display the desktop or even the Clover boot menu. I believe others have had this Dell issue also, which makes it hard to fault find!

Back