Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

@jb007 Hello! how did you enabled Thunderbolt AQ107?
I have a Sonnet TB Solo 10Gbe (Aquantia 107) but my system only detect it as USB instead TB device.
Did you tried eGPU in mojave? (I have a Razer Core X + Radeon VII) but not detected any TB.

X299 - smbios imacpro1,1
Titan ridge card.

View attachment 392040View attachment 392041View attachment 392042

Hi My OWC TB3 10GBe is recognised natively, and so should you if you are running 10.13.6+ or Mojave. I can Hotplug it into my Titan Ridge on Mojave. Interestingly is the Sonnet is in the same case as the OCW, I'm guessing it is a third party product that both companies have put their labels on.

I also have a ASUS AQ107 that has had it's firmware modified by booting it into High Sierra 10.13.3 (only this version will do it) and then because Apple left some 'debug code' in this version, it saw the AQ107 and then updated the ASUS firmware to the Apple firmware. Downside to this, is that it will only be recognised as an Apple AQ107 and needs the boot camp drivers in Windows and also a patch in the config.plist (see below).

I'm not sure as to why you are getting the Solo attached to the USB as per your IOREG. My guess (hunch) is that your USB ports aren't setup correctly.

I'd try and minimise every thing, remove all kexts SSDT's including the thunderbolt ones, and just see if the system recognises the Sonnet. Make sure you have USBInjectAll.kext in your /Library/Extensions.

Also make sure you have checked your kernel cache is ok by running in a terminal:
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions && touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -i /

Fix any errors, other than 'Kext with invalid signatured' errors which is ok.

Don't forget to clear the NVRAM at the Clover menu, by hitting the F11 key.

Other than that, it's hard to see your problem as I'm running a Z370 motherboard. Maybe @kgp or @LeleTuratti might have some input on this as they are a lot more experienced on this mobo and TB3.

I have a RX 580 in my Razor X, and a XFX Vega 64 LQ in the PC. The RX 580 always shows in the System information tool under PCI, irrespective of whether I have loaded any TB SSDT. I'm wondering if the Vega VII is not being shown, because there is no support for it ATM? Another user in this thread had all sorts of problems from what I could remember getting it to work as the dGPU... maybe this a problem. Have you a macOS supported card you can put in the eGPU to try this theory out?

The other day I actually had the RX 580 actually loading the drivers, but had a dark (black) screen. The macOS recognises it, and even has it in the Systems Preferences/Display/Arrangement along with my other 3 displays (2 x 4k, and 1 HD) but no video.:( So close, but no cigar as they say. I have spent a long time on trying to get TB3 working especially with the Titan Ridge (I also have a Alpine Ridge). Had most success with @LeleTuratti SSDT for the Z370 motherboard using the Titan Ridge, even though he states he hadn't tried on the Titan, only the Alpine Ridge.

I hope to spend a little more time researching TB3 next week, time permitting. Unfortunately TB3 is handled differently by macOS (why they have to do it differently god knows!) in regards to the Hotplug functionality compared to Windows and Linux (both OS's work well with my eGPU). I believe it has to do with interrupts from what I have read on the net.

Let us know how you go and if you find the culprit.

Jim

With the Windows update recently hosing ability to customize audio layout in windows to match macOS, I'm now forced to use the base audio layout in windows, which does NOT mac the custom one in macOS. so audio layout 11 isn't really working for me anymore. Sadly, I tried every other layout that's included in lilu plugin and NONE of them match windows. Is it possible to create a custom layout (well not actually custom, but non custom one that ACTUALLY matches windows default).

I bandaided around them not matching for a while, thanks to ability to remap layout completely in realtek control panel in windows, but windows recently released an update that utterly hosed control panel. There is a new version of driver/control panel for the windows update but it had to remove the very feature that let me remap the layout. :\

Short term, now when I reboot into windows I have to rewrite the audio into a different jack layout, and that's less than ideal long term.
I was wondering, have you tried uninstalling the Windows 10 drivers for the audio and installing the latest Realtek drivers from the Gigabyte site? I had a problem last week where I wanted to use the 'stereo mix' function that my music visualiser uses to listen to get its audio. It was missing, but came back after reinstalling the Realtek drivers. Sorry if this not what you where after, but I know with the 1809 release there are so many different places for the audio side of things it's confusing (at least for me). I'm not a 'audio guy' FWIW.

Jim

It doesn't matter how many USB ports your motherboard has. The Z370 chipset has 26 and that's what macOS will see. You can desolder all the USB ports on your motherboard but macOS will still see 26.

Don't expect sleep to work correctly until USB is fixed. As far as I know, hackintoshes have no support for hibernate.
It's been a while, but I have had both hibernate and also Power Nap working. Power nap very works well, assuming you have done your USB port assignments correctly and also marked USB ports like BT USB as internal etc.

As you would know, if your USB ports are not set up correctly and don't let your system sleep, then both of these will not work.

I have tried hibernate for a while but will give it a go next week if time permits. There is links in my post to the sources of information I used. Hope this helps.

Hi My OWC TB3 10GBe is recognised natively, and so should you if you are running 10.13.6+ or Mojave. I can Hotplug it into my Titan Ridge on Mojave. Interestingly is the Sonnet is in the same case as the OCW, I'm guessing it is a third party product that both companies have put their labels on.

I also have a ASUS AQ107 that has had it's firmware modified by booting it into High Sierra 10.13.3 (only this version will do it) and then because Apple left some 'debug code' in this version, it saw the AQ107 and then updated the ASUS firmware to the Apple firmware. Downside to this, is that it will only be recognised as an Apple AQ107 and needs the boot camp drivers in Windows and also a patch in the config.plist (see below).

I'm not sure as to why you are getting the Solo attached to the USB as per your IOREG. My guess (hunch) is that your USB ports aren't setup correctly.

I'd try and minimise every thing, remove all kexts SSDT's including the thunderbolt ones, and just see if the system recognises the Sonnet. Make sure you have USBInjectAll.kext in your /Library/Extensions.

Also make sure you have checked your kernel cache is ok by running in a terminal:
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions && touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -i /

Fix any errors, other than 'Kext with invalid signatured' errors which is ok.

Don't forget to clear the NVRAM at the Clover menu, by hitting the F11 key.

Other than that, it's hard to see your problem as I'm running a Z370 motherboard. Maybe @kgp or @LeleTuratti might have some input on this as they are a lot more experienced on this mobo and TB3.

I have a RX 580 in my Razor X, and a XFX Vega 64 LQ in the PC. The RX 580 always shows in the System information tool under PCI, irrespective of whether I have loaded any TB SSDT. I'm wondering if the Vega VII is not being shown, because there is no support for it ATM? Another user in this thread had all sorts of problems from what I could remember getting it to work as the dGPU... maybe this a problem. Have you a macOS supported card you can put in the eGPU to try this theory out?

The other day I actually had the RX 580 actually loading the drivers, but had a dark (black) screen. The macOS recognises it, and even has it in the Systems Preferences/Display/Arrangement along with my other 3 displays (2 x 4k, and 1 HD) but no video.:( So close, but no cigar as they say. I have spent a long time on trying to get TB3 working especially with the Titan Ridge (I also have a Alpine Ridge). Had most success with @LeleTuratti SSDT for the Z370 motherboard using the Titan Ridge, even though he states he hadn't tried on the Titan, only the Alpine Ridge.

I hope to spend a little more time researching TB3 next week, time permitting. Unfortunately TB3 is handled differently by macOS (why they have to do it differently god knows!) in regards to the Hotplug functionality compared to Windows and Linux (both OS's work well with my eGPU). I believe it has to do with interrupts from what I have read on the net.

Let us know how you go and if you find the culprit.

Jim

@jb007, @juantrix,

Sonet TB Ethernet apparently requires a TB bus driver to work, which currently cannot be loaded as there is neither a TB local node nor TB bus driver implementation on any Hackintosh systems, independently of GC-Titan Ridge, GC-Alpine Ridge or TBEX3; see e.g. post #2,168 .

BTW.. the Vega VII is not properly implemented yet under macOS. By now it is implemented as a Vega without hardware acceleration and I already created an appropriate SSDT available in my X299 SSDT Github repository. The trick with adding Vega VII device-ID to AMDRadeonX5000.kext to enable hardware acceleration apparently does not work with X99 and X299 systems, as the latter apparently requires some iGPU implementation not available with Skylake-X, Broadwell-E or Haswell-E. Also all this has been already discussed in my respective X299 threads.

The RX 580 is natively supported under macOS starting with 10.14.4. To make video acceleration work for the RX 580 for <10.14.4, see also receptive guidelines available in my respective X299 threads. And last but not least, also in this case you should adapt and use the respective SSDT available in the X299 SSDT Github repository and also add Lilu.kext and WEG.kext to your EFI-Folder.

Good luck,

KGP

Last edited:
I was wondering, have you tried uninstalling the Windows 10 drivers for the audio and installing the latest Realtek drivers from the Gigabyte site? I had a problem last week where I wanted to use the 'stereo mix' function that my music visualiser uses to listen to get its audio. It was missing, but came back after reinstalling the Realtek drivers. Sorry if this not what you where after, but I know with the 1809 release there are so many different places for the audio side of things it's confusing (at least for me). I'm not a 'audio guy' FWIW.

Jim
It's not an issue with drivers missing. i installed new drivers to get audio back, the problem is (and i googled it and others said same). Windows no longer lets you remap the jacks. if you try with registery even, Windows will just change it back if it detects you tampered with it. This means I can no longer remap the layout to match macOS. I don't know if you know this but layout 11 is not quite right. What's actually mapped in macOS is the rear speakers and mid/sub woofer speakers jacks. The front speakers jack you're suppose to use for front speakers isn't mapped AT ALL in macOS. I used to get around this in Windows by remapping jacks in windows so they matched macOS. with remapping gone, now it's a real mess. because in macOS I have to use rear speakers and mid/sub woofer jacks, but in Windows I have to use front speakers/rear speakers jacks. Basically, I have to swap one of the cords into a diff jack any time I change to Windows because I can no longer tell Windows to swap sub/mid jack with the front speakers jack if that makes sense. It's just annoying. It's manageable, but I just wish I could get a layout ID in macOS that ACTUALLY matches what the jack layout of windows is all. Of course, what'd be even nicer is if macOS supported more than 2 line outs, since this hardware does in fact have 3 of them.

It's a shame macOS has to drop one of them anyways. but if it is it drop one of them, it should be sub/mid since it's least common, it DEFINITELY shouldn't be dropping front speaker jack like it does in layout 11. I did try every other layout and they pretty much ALL seem to drop the front speaker jack, or keep it but don't have a 2nd jack at all or some other awkwardness.

Last edited:
I see. I have no solution to this. Under Linux, the port assignment gets mucked up also. You have to turn on/up the headphone mixer to hear audio out of the rear line out.
I solved all my problems by using a Creative 5.1 XFi surround Pro USB. Works in all 3 OS’s but the volume control on the device only works in Windows. Not saying this is a solution for you though.

@jb007, @juantrix,

Sonet TB Ethernet apparently requires a TB bus driver to work, which currently cannot be loaded as there is neither a TB local node nor TB bus driver implementation on any Hackintosh systems, independently of GC-Titan Ridge, GC-Alpine Ridge or TBEX3; see e.g. post #2,168 .

BTW.. the Vega VII is not properly implemented yet under macOS. By now it is implemented as a Vega without hardware acceleration and I already created an appropriate SSDT available in my X299 SSDT Github repository. The trick with adding Vega VII device-ID to AMDRadeonX5000.kext to enable hardware acceleration apparently does not work with X99 and X299 systems, as the latter apparently requires some iGPU implementation not available with Skylake-X, Broadwell-E or Haswell-E. Also all this has been already discussed in my respective X299 threads.

The RX 580 is natively supported under macOS starting with 10.14.4. To make video acceleration work for the RX 580 for <10.14.4, see also receptive guidelines available in my respective X299 threads. And last but not least, also in this case you should adapt and use the respective SSDT available in the X299 SSDT Github repository and also add Lilu.kext and WEG.kext to your EFI-Folder.

Good luck,

KGP

Hi KGP,

I thought we were keeping only the FakeSMC kext in EFI<Clover<Kexts<Other -And all other kexts in L/E?
Are all of your hack kexts living in your EFI? (Load Kexts = Yes and 0x28 and 0x3, etc?)

Hi KGP,

I thought we were keeping only the FakeSMC kext in EFI<Clover<Kexts<Other -And all other kexts in L/E?
Are all of your hack kexts living in your EFI? (Load Kexts = Yes and 0x28 and 0x3, etc?)

I keep all additional kexts in my EFI. And yes, "inject kexts" and disabled SIP.

I keep all additional kexts in my EFI. And yes, "inject kexts" and disabled SIP.

Okay, thanks @kgp. I couldn't remember whether it was you or @pastrychef who was doing this seemingly contrarian method. Somebody was using SIP without a problem with either 0x67 or the value that gave SIP but allowed 3rd party/unsigned kexts. -I just want the system "double scanning/double loading" kexts. How did you install kexts into the EFI? Just drag and drop? -Would that work only because of the EFI partition's format?
I'm wondering if the loading of kexts from the EFI also directs the loading the the ACPI, Patched SSDTs to work as intended and not just giving a cosmetic value since at this time my kexts are in L/E and my TB patch lives in the EFI folder. The system is stable as is, but I'm willing to be daring if it will help further these builds. ;)

If I can get my build as close to yours as possible (though I haven't yet written that Z370 XHC library), I may be able to give our UAD Apollo-using friends some practical Thunderbolt 2 via RP21 workaround advice. Thank you for advice.

Attachments

• config no serial_kexts still in L_E.plist
    8.4 KB · Views: 75
Okay, thanks @kgp. I couldn't remember whether it was you or @pastrychef who was doing this seemingly contrarian method. Somebody was using SIP without a problem with either 0x67 or the value that gave SIP but allowed 3rd party/unsigned kexts. -I just want the system "double scanning/double loading" kexts. How did you install kexts into the EFI? Just drag and drop? -Would that work only because of the EFI partition's format?
I'm wondering if the loading of kexts from the EFI also directs the loading the the ACPI, Patched SSDTs to work as intended and not just giving a cosmetic value since at this time my kexts are in L/E and my TB patch lives in the EFI folder. The system is stable as is, but I'm willing to be daring if it will help further these builds. ;)

If I can get my build as close to yours as possible (though I haven't yet written that Z370 XHC library), I may be able to give our UAD Apollo-using friends some practical Thunderbolt 2 via RP21 workaround advice. Thank you for advice.

Kexts must be in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Others/, in the config.plist of my EFI-Folder distributions, "SIP" is "0x67" (although the entire approach might also work with "0x00", i.e. SIP enabled) and "Inject kexts" is set to "Yes". No need to use any additional kext in /L/E. All additional kexts can be implemented under /EFI/Clove/kexts/Others/ and will be fully operational such.

All System SSDTs must be under /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched. Neither kexts nor SSDTs are purely cosmetic.

Last edited:
Back