Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Infinite Thanks for your guide. Used the AORUS Gigabyte RX580 8GB graphics card, Noctua NH-D15 cooler, and a 1TB Samsung 960 EVO NMVe, but essentially, everything was the same (minus the firewire card). Being an absolutely green newbie (first computer I ever built, hackintosh or no), I started with fits and stalls and backtracking to see where I went wrong... but eventually, after about a week (working on and off as a side project), I can say I built a working, robust hackintosh. Sweetness!!! Thanks a whole bunch!!!

@jb007, Hello! in that post you said "with F7 and SSDT's and config.plist changes"

I have F7, but bios settings in your post that need to disable almost all thunderbolt parameters results that thunderbolt not works in windows and Mac OS X, so I decided to set parameters like in post at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/ (see attached screenshot). What changes I need to do in config.plist? is that ssdt right ?

Attachments

• mb_manual_z370-aorus-gaming-7_e.pdf (стр. 7 из 144) 2019-02-21 09-41-52.png
    mb_manual_z370-aorus-gaming-7_e.pdf (стр. 7 из 144) 2019-02-21 09-41-52.png
    233.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 336931-1d6375081ebcef6a76039b3c3987f31b.jpg
    336931-1d6375081ebcef6a76039b3c3987f31b.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Hello to everyone! please help me setup thunderbolt hot swap.

First of all, I have Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra (not 10.14 Mojave) because of Nvidia 1080ti video card (no web drivers from Nvidia for Mojave around 6 month from Mojave release.)

I Have Gigabyte z370 AORUS Gaming 7 rev 1.0 (not ultra) with GC-Alpine Ridge rev 2.0 installed in slot 4 (the bottom one like in attached screenshot in post above) with connected cable to the motherboard. Thunderbolt 3 device is SSD Samsung X5 disk.

I flashed F7 bios for my motherboard to power on hot swap support. I set thunderbolt bios options like attached screenshot (by post in thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/ )

then I opened registry explorer and see that my thunderbolt device in PCI0 and RP21 (see screenshot in attach, ioreg dump in attach)
after that I download SSDT-Z370-TB3HP.aml and changed all RP05 to RP21 via MaciASL (see attached aml file) and save it.

then I copy it to EFI/Clover/acpi/patched/ in EFI drive with another ssdt-dtpg.aml file.

in Windows I installed thunderbolt software from gigabyte website and installed bootcamp drivers.

After all in Windows hot swap worked perfectly for me, but for Mac OS X 10.13.6 it didn't work.

If first I plug Thunderbolt 3 SSD drive to Alpine ridge and after that power on computer and boot up to windows - and after that reboot to Mac - Mac OS X sees thunderbolt device in pci device and Finder (see attached screenshot), but after plug out and again plug in, device doesn't show again in finder and in pci devices.

What else I can do to install hot swap? I've attached my EFI folder and config plist file.

Please help me to setup hot swap because all you can do it, but I don't know, only in Mojave or somebody can do it in High Sierra too.

What I need to do else? may be some config.plist changes or may be I need another AML file?

Attachments

• 336931-1d6375081ebcef6a76039b3c3987f31b.jpg
    336931-1d6375081ebcef6a76039b3c3987f31b.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 189
  • ioregprop.ioreg
    23.5 MB · Views: 190
  • ioregscreenshot.png
    ioregscreenshot.png
    362.3 KB · Views: 213
  • SSDT-Z370-TB3HP.aml
    5.7 KB · Views: 189
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 230
  • iMac 2019-02-28 13-20-51.png
    iMac 2019-02-28 13-20-51.png
    315.8 KB · Views: 211
  • EFI.zip
    40.4 MB · Views: 256
  • config.plist
    10.4 KB · Views: 233
  • EFI.zip
    40.4 MB · Views: 256
See in the screen shot that both thunderbolt ports are fully working. One is my audio interface the other 2 devices showing are my Sonnet Breakaway eGPU box with GTX 1080ti for video and the audio from the 1080ti. I can unplug and they go away... plug in again and they pop right back up! :D

Just add theses from the "Patched" zip to your ACPI/Patched folder and add your model of Radeon card (from the Radeon SSDT folder) to that same ACPI/Patched folder. Reboot and hit F11 to clear NVRAM and you are golden!

Set Thunderbolt setting in BIOS to the picture provided. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OUTLINED IN THE RED BOX AS IT COULD DAMAGE YOUR T/B CARD!!!!! That is why Gigabyte has removed those settings in all newer updates.
@Gothic4684, hello! I tried your SSDT too with all your files in my High Sierra (see attached screenshot), but unfortunately nothing changed for me. After unplugging my TB3 SSD device and plugging it in again, it doesn't shown again. No hot swap for me:(((

Attachments

• iMac 2019-02-28 14-13-31.png
    iMac 2019-02-28 14-13-31.png
    403.1 KB · Views: 196
What problems do you still have?

Sorry I wasn't able to answer more quickly, I live in the countryside, and I often have such bad bandwidth that I can’t even do basic, essential Internet stuff, such as reading this forum or looking for cat gifs.

Rather than explaining what problems I have, which is kind of hard for me to do in English, I took a picture and a video of what’s problematic graphic wise with my phone.

So as you can see I have those ugly artifacts that appear on the tabs when the mouse pointer pasts on them in Safari.

In Chrome, some areas of the pages I’m browsing shimmer, making them hard to read or watch. Strangely though, when I open a video file, it’s displayed correctly.

I noticed if I take screenshots of the shimmering web pages and illegible tabs, they disappear in the screenshots. So at one point, I thought it was the DVI/HDMI adapter that I use with my monitor scree n that was the culprit. But I tried to use a lcd TV with native HDMI ports (no DVI/HDMI adapter involved) as my hack’s video output, and encountered the same glitches.

@Gothic4684, hello! I tried your SSDT too with all your files in my High Sierra (see attached screenshot), but unfortunately nothing changed for me. After unplugging my TB3 SSD device and plugging it in again, it doesn't shown again. No hot swap for me:(((

Is your BIOS F7 and all the settings in BIOS for the Thunderbolt card set as shown in the screen shot?

Hello to everyone! please help me setup thunderbolt hot swap.

First of all, I have Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra (not 10.14 Mojave) because of Nvidia 1080ti video card (no web drivers from Nvidia for Mojave around 6 month from Mojave release.)

I Have Gigabyte z370 AORUS Gaming 7 rev 1.0 (not ultra) with GC-Alpine Ridge rev 2.0 installed in slot 4 (the bottom one like in attached screenshot in post above) with connected cable to the motherboard. Thunderbolt 3 device is SSD Samsung X5 disk.

I flashed F7 bios for my motherboard to power on hot swap support. I set thunderbolt bios options like attached screenshot (by post in thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/ )

then I opened registry explorer and see that my thunderbolt device in PCI0 and RP21 (see screenshot in attach, ioreg dump in attach)
after that I download SSDT-Z370-TB3HP.aml and changed all RP05 to RP21 via MaciASL (see attached aml file) and save it.

then I copy it to EFI/Clover/acpi/patched/ in EFI drive with another ssdt-dtpg.aml file.

in Windows I installed thunderbolt software from gigabyte website and installed bootcamp drivers.

After all in Windows hot swap worked perfectly for me, but for Mac OS X 10.13.6 it didn't work.

If first I plug Thunderbolt 3 SSD drive to Alpine ridge and after that power on computer and boot up to windows - and after that reboot to Mac - Mac OS X sees thunderbolt device in pci device and Finder (see attached screenshot), but after plug out and again plug in, device doesn't show again in finder and in pci devices.

What else I can do to install hot swap? I've attached my EFI folder and config plist file.

Please help me to setup hot swap because all you can do it, but I don't know, only in Mojave or somebody can do it in High Sierra too.

What I need to do else? may be some config.plist changes or may be I need another AML file?
Hi @Ferz2019. I've had a brief look at all of your files. I gather the second EFI.zip is your current EFI.
  1. You're config.plist is 'all over the place' and is not correct. I'd suggest you read the config setup that is at the beginning of this guide. I also suggest you use 18,3 in your SMBIOS. I made some improvements over the config.plist that @HackaShaq published, but other his should get you going in the right direction, but I suggest you use 18,3 not 14,2(?) as he published.
  2. It is bad practice to have all of the kexts in your Other directory. The correct place is in /Library/Extensions. Read my numerous posts in this thread on what you should have in there. The only file I have in my Other is FakeSMC.kext, and it should be the same version as in /L/E.
  3. You should not require a DSDT (DSDT15.aml) your patched directory. This mobo works fine with out DSDT patches.
  4. What is the ECDT.aml file (Embedded Controller Boot Resources Table) ??? Get rid of it.
  5. Have you setup your USB ports?
  6. The TB card requires a USB cable going to the USB2 port, is this connected?
  7. What files and versions have you in your /L/E directory?
  8. What files have you added, if any, in your /System/Library/Extensions directory?
Without sounding harsh, until you have a system setup as per this guide, it is very hard for anyone to help you with the Thunderbolt side of things. I've had no problems with the Alpine Ridge using F7 BIOS, but this was on Mojave, not High Sierra.

Regarding your NVIDIA card, could you use the iGPU for your Mac, and upgrade to Mojave where most of the work has been done with TB, and use your NVIDIA card if you dual boot into Windows? Without any bias, IMHO AMD is the better choice for macOS going forward.

From my hazy memory, others have TB hotplug working in HS. Could they let me know if this is true?

Jim :geek:

Please make a backup of your existing EFI folder and try this one. Replace the EFI folder in your EFI partition. Get rid of any hackintosh kexts you have in /Library/Extensions/.

Pastry.. curious, is the config you attached for your Radeon Config or was it altered for the Integrated HD only?

EDIT: I know most of the posts I've read by you (VERY helpful, BTW) were for the ASUS ROG Strix Z370, is this config specific to the ASUS or should it also work with the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7--for some reason, I thought the SSDTxxx.aml files were calling out different subtleties.

Last edited:
Pastry.. curious, is the config you attached for your Radeon Config or was it altered for the Integrated HD only?

EDIT: I know most of the posts I've read by you (VERY helpful, BTW) were for the ASUS ROG Strix Z370, is this config specific to the ASUS or should it also work with the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7--for some reason, I thought the SSDTxxx.aml files were calling out different subtleties.

For Mojave and Z370 + 8th gen CPU, you don't need separate EFI folders or config.plists for IGPU, RX500-seris, and Vega cards. Vega cards don't need any special configurations in config.plist. IGPU doesn't need any special configuration in config.plist. This means that a single EFI folder can be used to accommodate both.

Generally, very little separates one Z370 motherboard from another and the EFI folder from my Asus Z370-G build will work for others with little to no changes. The SSDT included in the EFI folder is not for port configuration. Rather, it's for USB power injection. I do not include SSDT for port configuration because every motherboard's USB port configurations are different.

Sorry I wasn't able to answer more quickly, I live in the countryside, and I often have such bad bandwidth that I can’t even do basic, essential Internet stuff, such as reading this forum or looking for cat gifs.

Rather than explaining what problems I have, which is kind of hard for me to do in English, I took a picture and a video of what’s problematic graphic wise with my phone.

View attachment 390106

So as you can see I have those ugly artifacts that appear on the tabs when the mouse pointer pasts on them in Safari.

In Chrome, some areas of the pages I’m browsing shimmer, making them hard to read or watch. Strangely though, when I open a video file, it’s displayed correctly.

View attachment 390106

I noticed if I take screenshots of the shimmering web pages and illegible tabs, they disappear in the screenshots. So at one point, I thought it was the DVI/HDMI adapter that I use with my monitor scree n that was the culprit. But I tried to use a lcd TV with native HDMI ports (no DVI/HDMI adapter involved) as my hack’s video output, and encountered the same glitches.

So I did a clean install of Mojave, having read that most of the issues with the integrated graphics chip was dealt in Mojave, as it recognizes our intel UHD 630 natively. To my surprise, I had the same exact problems. That was indeed whatevergreen that solved the problem for me, as several users had told me. I must have missed a step when I installed it in High Sierra.

No. Use Clover Configurator and click on:
View attachment 389751

Nevermind. I just remembered one more omission on my part... Please try this config.plist.

I then used this EFI @pastrychef gave me (thanks again) and sound was back on. Thanks to all of you, I now can fully use my hack and even Logic pro seems to run smoother in Mojave (at least on my system).
@pastrychef , I noticed in the config file you gave me, you chose iMac18,1 system definition. Other users like @jb007 are using iMac18,3 (if I'm correct). From what I understood, this choice has a lot to do with USB ports setup. I read a lot of information on this forum, but I haven't seen a "definitive" guide to USB ports setup in Mojave. So I guess my question is: are there still things that I need to do to get all my usb ports working properly?

Back