Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Any Gaming 7 owners that are using the UHD 630 igpu in headless mode ? Could you post a mini-guide here on how to do that ? Would be helpful to those just starting out with this guide.

I've been trying to make it work using this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/, but it's not a complete success yet. My iGPU is enabled in the BIOS, and I cannot see it in System Report (which is supposed to mean that it is indeed in headless mode). I do see it in Hackintool. But DRM video in iTunes still won't play.

The issue could possibly be because I'm using an HDMI connection to my display. I need to find my DP cables- all I have at the moment are HDMI and DP to TB (for my old Mac Pro). The displays came with DP cables, but they're packed up in a box somewhere, and we've moved since then. :lol: Hopefully I'll be able to track them down today.

If I do get it working, I'll definitely post here what worked for me.

One more thing you'll want to do is to disable the Port Limit patch. This patch is known to cause problems, it causes access outside a fixed array bounds. I don't believe that disabling it is part of this guide. You can easily do this using Clover Configurator or just completely remove it from the config.plist. It was originally used when installing High Sierra (that's why it's part of post #1) but no longer works in Mojave 10.14.3.

Thanks! I will disable that. I did discover that my high-power USB ports are no longer high-power after installing the SSDT that I linked earlier. So now my powered USB external drives are working, but my external SuperDrive is not. So I'm back to tinkering with that again.

The issue could possibly be because I'm using an HDMI connection to my display. I need to find my DP cables- all I have at the moment are HDMI and DP to TB (for my old Mac Pro). The displays came with DP cables, but they're packed up in a box somewhere, and we've moved since then. :lol: Hopefully I'll be able to track them down today.

DP is working now, but still no DRM video playback.

Based on the Golden Build by @HackaShaq with considerable direct contribution from @jb007 and the resources of several others mentioned below by their invaluable links.

Refinements and newer Config settings for Mojave builds for this Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard:

1. The jb007 USB SSDT-UIAC patch. That uses ReHabMan's method for creating an SSDT for USB.
-See https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/

2. The jb007 USB Power Patch Mini Guide.

3. The jb007 Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt AIC patch.

4. The jiffyslot "When everything breaks and nothing seems to work" fix.

For Thunderbolt AIC users:

The LeleTuratti "3 Methods" guide for fixing Thunderbolt hotplug issues. -Ongoing for Z370 users. Hint: We're on the PCH over here with the Z370 and the i7 8700K.

It is important to distinguish between our particular motherboard, the Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 -which requires BIOS F7 and the one that LeleTuratti is using: The Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 7-which is different and requires BIOS F10 for his patch.

Although we are using a different board, kgp always has some great work going on worth thinking about: E.9.2.13) - GC Titan Ridge/ GC-Alpine Ridge / Asus TBEX 3 Thunderbolt HotPlug System Implementation

Other Resources that should stay sorted by the latest update:

Regarding the use of Kext Installer apps such as KextBeast, it’s good to have this critical command handy if you haven’t yet memorized it:

sudo kextcache -i /

Then Reboot.

Thanks to trs96 for showing me what should have been obvious to me.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update on my USB woes - I used the SSDT file that @JimmakoS posted here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...80-2x-dell-p2715q-4k-60hz.252989/post-1772170, and my powered external drives are now working!

If you encounter any further problems with USB, check the USB Patch and Apple USB Power Patch Mini Guide by @jb007. The SSDT from the guide enables both of the internal USB headers. Since the port limit is exceeded this way, one of the USB ports on the back will not work. If you prefer to disable one of the internal USB headers and have all the ports on the back working, you can use my SSDT posted here.

Any Gaming 7 owners that are using the UHD 630 igpu in headless mode ? Could you post a mini-guide here on how to do that ? Would be helpful to those just starting out with this guide.

I have configured the iGPU in headless mode by using the instructions provided in An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins. Wouldn't a mini-guide be largely redundant?

I have configured the iGPU in headless mode by using the instructions provided in An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins. Wouldn't a mini-guide be largely redundant?
Yes, everyone should read the iDiot's guide to understand what they're doing. I'm not suggesting a complete rewrite of that guide, just specifics related to what you've found to work (Platform ID for headless mode) for the Gaming 7 motherboard and the SMBIOS that works for you. Might help save newbies a lot of trial and error. In a similar vein to what hackmymac describes in post #1198.

Last edited:
So all I can do is point. It's a bit of reading, but it's well worth it to know what's what. I hope this eases things a bit as the builders have done for me.
You can post direct links to these so that others can find them easily with one click. For example, here's the direct link to post #1198 by hackmymac:

Then you just copy the whole URL and it links directly to that post. So as you can see above, post #1198 is actually 1874856 on page 120 of this guide.

Last edited:
Yes, everyone should read the iDiot's guide to understand what they're doing. I'm not suggesting a complete rewrite of that guide, just specifics related to what you've found to work (Platform ID for headless mode) for the Gaming 7 motherboard and the SMBIOS that works for you. Might help save newbies a lot of trial and error. In a similar vein to what hackmymac describes in post #1198.

I'd be up for this, but as long as important information gets buried in the thread I honestly don't see the point. New users just won't find all these key bits (e.g. @jb007's USB mini-guide) if they are not made accessible from the first post.

I'd be up for this, but as long as important information gets buried in the thread I honestly don't see the point. New users just won't find all these key bits (e.g. @jb007's USB mini-guide) if they are not made accessible from the first post.
I'll talk with hackashaq about possibly adding this to post #1 as well as the USB mini guide. Thanks for helping out, much appreciated.

I'll talk with hackashaq about possibly adding this to post #1 as well as the USB mini guide. Thanks for helping out, much appreciated.

Cheers, that would be great. I suppose the situation is a little bit convoluted since the guide is about High Sierra but a lot of the recent support has been evolving around Mojave. This is obviously the case in regard to the USB configuration. When it comes to configuring the iGPU in headless mode, I am a little bit confused about how @HackaShaq got acceleration and Quick Sync working correctly with iMac 14.2 SMBIOS and iGPU disabled. It didn't work for me with either iMac 14.2 or 18.3 until I configured the iGPU in headless mode. I doubt that High Sierra vs. Mojave makes a difference here, but who knows.

Back