Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

UPDATE: So far, The new Radeon VII is a let down.

First issue is it refuses to boot with CSM disabled in BIOS. No idea why.

Second issue is there is no driver support in Mojave yet. I was hoping it would piggy back off the Vega drivers but that was a no go. Guys running the Beta 10.14.4 update said there is no listing for it there either yet so its looking like maybe 10.14.5 would be the earliest.

Third issue is it takes a special driver from AMD to work under Windows and its flat out HORRIBLE! Performance with my Vive Pro is not much better than my Vega 64 and my 1080ti walks all over it in VR yet in game benches the VII beats the 1080ti in really everything... so it may be the crappy drivers... no way to tell at this point.

:roll2:

Good evening everyone!
After a few months of light use, I began to notice some problems. First problem: I used Premiere for the first time. I tried to export the video but the Hackintosh crashes. Second problem: every time I have to extract a "rar" archive for files of about 20 GB, regardless of the disk where I unzip the file, the average extraction time is about 30 minutes !!! I'm stuck in High Sierra 10.13.5. Any advice?

Give as more information about your build. Have you overclock the cpu? Maybe this is the problem and system crashes at full load.

This...

Pleases me.

MasterZee | GA-Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | i7 [email protected] | 64GB DDR4-2400 | Sapphire RX580 Nitro+
Thanks for getting me started @HackaShaq

Iwonder how to get the processor OC speed reported correctly

Give as more information about your build. Have you overclock the cpu? Maybe this is the problem and system crashes at full load.
@JimmakoS, thanks for your answer!
No, may CPU is not overclocked.
I have 6 hard drives connected. One has the S.O. One is set up as hard disk for the Photoshop and Lghtroom chace, and the other 4 are working hard disks. Even when I open the contents of a folder, before seeing the content there are 2, 3 seconds where the window remains empty. Only later can I see the content. The strange thing is that, when for example, I extract a file, the CPU works at a minimum and the RAM is still available. The unzip of a file of 20GB can last even half an hour, and, while unzip works, the CPU is at the minimum! Despite this, the extraction times are long. The biggest problem with Premiere. The export of videos, block the system, even if I try to export video for Youtube 1080. Sometimes it happens also, that the passage of some files on the pen drive, happens in a very slow way.

I wanted to pop back in and thank @HackaShaq for this EXCELLENT guide and also to the community for the pages and pages and pages of support here.

I have my Hackintosh mostly working with minimal effort, and I really only have a few minor things (installing kexts for the MB audio and getting the m2 to be the default boot drive are at the top of that list, as is getting iMessage set up) to finish and will do those as I have time. Luckily I didn't have to do any of the fixes listed in the guide for USB to work properly- it seems to be in order straight out of the box!

I also still need to dual boot to Windows (I just picked up a second SSD for that), but it'll have to go on the to-do list for now. :)

Again, thank you all for this awesome community!

Do you recommend a compatible USB 3.0 PCI-E card? I mounted an Inateck KT5001 but this doesn't work.
Here's a 4 port card designed for the Mac Pro. Should work for you in your hackintosh. Available on Amazon.com
From a review by a buyer of this card:
by Gordon T. Hamachi On 20 Jan 2019
"I was pleased to see that this card works in my Mac Pro 5,1 running Mac OS X Mojave."

Last edited:
@jb007
Here's an update regarding the Thunderbolt patch: Hot-swap (power off/power on -get your Apollo back, etc.) is no longer working. The Apollo no longer reconnects after the interface is power-cycled. Anybody else run in to this? OSX 10.14.3 18D109. Everything else works, but the patch has either degraded or 10.14.3 broke it.

I'll try paving over the EFI with the backup and see if that fixes it. It can't hurt. As before, I'm running off of a clone that I use as a working machine. I'll check the original and see what's up, so FYI...

UPDATE: The paving over didn't work. Clones tested as well...

Last edited:
@jb007
Here's an update regarding the Thunderbolt patch: Hot-swap (power off/power on -get your Apollo back, etc.) is no longer working. The Apollo no longer reconnects after the interface is power-cycled. Anybody else run in to this? OSX 10.14.3 18D109. Everything else works, but the patch has either degraded or 10.14.3 broke it.

I'll try paving over the EFI with the backup and see if that fixes it. It can't hurt. As before, I'm running off of a clone that I use as a working machine. I'll check the original and see what's up, so FYI...
Hi there jiffyslot. I'm currently running the Titan Ridge and F11 BIOS, hence hot-swap is not working with it, but I haven't tried hot-swap in the latest version 18D109.
So I guess you are using your Alpine Ridge with the F10 BIOS, and it's gone south for the winter with this latest 10.14.3 18D109. What patch are you referring to?
I've been busy installing KDE on Arch Linux, where my TB3 Titan Ridge works OTB as TB support has been in the Linux Kernel for sometime. I don't have to pull out what is left of my very white hair!

Wow... This has to be my most favored thread. I only wish I found it BEFORE accidentally inadvertently installing the Security Patch 10.3.6---which I was holding off until I had a Vega-64 such that I could REDO the config.​

@jb007 and @HackaShaq, great job... really!

I'm wondering if I can use your /EFI, namely your Config.plist and SSDTs (looks like they are geared toward TB TR) in this latest setup. I've done some basic SSDTs, though I'm confident I need to review my efforts as all seems FUBAR at the moment and I may need to do a cleanse on /S/L/E and /L/E.

I did try both of your /EFIs, and both came up. Something did change my boot volume name (a little concerning), but not entirely sure what or how catastrophic it is. DOH!

My problems vary almost as much as my attempts to fix, the include:

1. Rebooting when idle (I walk away), though I have sleep and hibernate disabled (...hmmm.. or I used to).
  2. Trouble getting Audio to work properly, meaning when invoking USB devices, I often get crashes or am unable to use Mic/Speakers with random non-native Apps (Slack, Google Meet, and other Apps.)
  3. USB - Haven't quite gotten the USB
  4. Video decent (currently not using HD630)--haven't tried FCP yet. A little tearing when moving windows, not too much
Benchmarking (GeekBench 4), w/o further optimization wasn't bad, ~6300/30000 and about 200000 for Metal, though I realize this is not an indicator of system health as I clearly have other issues... (so my wife says, anyway).

My System is:

Z370 Gaming 7 (r1)​
Sapphire Vega 64 (reference)​
Samsung M.2 NVME 960 Pro -​
32 GB Hyper-X FURY 2666 (2x16G)​
Firmware: F11​
APFS​
MacOS 10.14.3 Mojave​

Back