Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I'm embarrassed to report that I've just completed the hardware build (using all the parts exactly as described) and am facing the ultimate newby nightmare: computer not turning on. I'm turning the power supply on and pushing the on button at the top of the case, but getting nothing and hearing nothing (no power supply fan or anything). I've carefully gone over all the cables that attach to the motherboard, and I'm quite sure I've plugged everything in. The only orphan plugs are a Phantek multi-color LED strip plug (which I think is optional) and a 12V input on the side of the case opposite the motherboard and at a 12V power input on the motherboard side of the case, which I believe are optional and related to the fan. What can I be doing wrong? Is it possibly a bad power supply?

I'm embarrassed to report that I've just completed the hardware build (using all the parts exactly as described) and am facing the ultimate newby nightmare: computer not turning on. I'm turning the power supply on and pushing the on button at the top of the case, but getting nothing and hearing nothing (no power supply fan or anything). I've carefully gone over all the cables that attach to the motherboard, and I'm quite sure I've plugged everything in. The only orphan plugs are a Phantek multi-color LED strip plug (which I think is optional) and a 12V input on the side of the case opposite the motherboard and at a 12V power input on the motherboard side of the case, which I believe are optional and related to the fan. What can I be doing wrong? Is it possibly a bad power supply?

Hi Pete, I'm a newbie myself in the hackintosh department so I'm sure you'll get better advice from other users of this forum BUT:

Have you checked the power on / shutdown button connection on your motherboard? Gigabyte's manual can be tricky because the motherboard is laid out the opposite way it is in a real case (idk why?)... I wasn't really aware of this the first time I hit the power on button and nothing happened! But I quickly realised I had just plugged the button on the wrong side of the front panel connector.

Thanks. I tried both orientations for the Power SW connector, which is conveniently colored red on the motherboard. Maybe I need to put a SATA cable into the 4 pin ATX power connector on the upper left of the board, and then connect to the 12 V Sata cables that go to the fan hub, in order to get this to power on?

Thanks. I tried both orientations for the Power SW connector, which is conveniently colored red on the motherboard. Maybe I need to put a SATA cable into the 4 pin ATX power connector on the upper left of the board, and then connect to the 12 V Sata cables that go to the fan hub, in order to get this to power on?

Hi.
You must have these two POWER connectors connected from your power supply to get this motherboard to turn on; ATX_12V_2x4 & ATX highlighted in yellow.

Also, make sure you have the power connectors going to your graphics card which I assume is an RX 580 and it requires two power connectors. These are usually dedicated cables from your power supply.

The PW_SW highlighted can also be used to turn on the mobo irrespective of whether you have the front panel power button connected properly. In fact just for the exercise, maybe disconnect all the connections from your F_Panel header, just in case there is a wrong connection there.

Make sure you have your CPU fan connected, as you don't want to fry your CPU.

Jim
Capture.JPG

@FauPod The search engine is your friend! At least start with the excellent post #1170 of this thread by @jb007. Follow his instructions regarding USB ports.
Thanks @iWire . I solved by changing the additional USB card. I took the Inateck KT4004 and now everything works. The beautiful guide of @jb007 that you indicated to me, I think refers to Mohave . I think I understand that with Mohave there are a few complications. With High Sierra everything works. I'm incredulous of how everything works perfectly! I think I will keep High Sierra for a long time. Do you know if mounting Intel Optame can lead to problems? I have read that the hackintosh system does not support the Optame.

But that implied changing BIOS setting every time they had to switch OS
Not something I would want to do on a regular basis. If booting from a SATA SSD or NVMe SSD I don't think that using Optane would be of any benefit in macOS. I've never tested this myself of course, but from what I've read about Optane it looks like it's really not worth using with macOS.
looks like the average M.2 gumstick and in fact plugs into an M.2 slot on Intel 200 series chipset motherboards (7th gen Kaby Lake or newer). However, it’s designed to cache slower storage volumes like hard drives, offering orders of magnitude faster response times and essentially enabling spinning media to perform more like a high performance SSD in many applications, from workstation and content creation workloads, to gaming, web browsing and even productivity apps. It does this by storing most frequently used data, meta data and access patterns on either a 16GB or 32GB Optane Memory stick, allowing the system to make far fewer trips to a much slower hard drive for data access.

Last edited:
Thanks @iWire . I solved by changing the additional USB card. I took the Inateck KT4004 and now everything works. The beautiful guide of @jb007 that you indicated to me, I think refers to Mohave . I think I understand that with Mohave there are a few complications. With High Sierra everything works. I'm incredulous of how everything works perfectly! I think I will keep High Sierra for a long time. Do you know if mounting Intel Optame can lead to problems? I have read that the hackintosh system does not support the Optame.
I may be wrong, but since there are no real mac models with Optane onboard, that means no macOS Optane drivers. I read that some user on this forum had found a way to use his optane module in a Win10 / macOS dual boot scenario. But that implied changing BIOS setting every time they had to switch OS, so that the Optane module didn't make macOS boot impossible.

Hi,

I finally build the hardware part of my first hackintosh :) and since it's also my first PC build ever, I run into quite a few 'noob questions' (well, at least I think they are) while following this guide.

For example, now my Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 starts up, the CPU cooler and GPU fans spin, LED lights up, screen gets a signal, but I can't get into the BIOS screen for step 2. I tried to USB keyboards, holding 'delete' and in another attempt 'F1' while starting up but it just says: "Reboot and Select prober Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected device and press a key". Any idea's?

Back