Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

USB Patch and Apple USB Power Patch Mini Guide

Just completed the changes indicated. It seems that I have many more USB ports listed. As both 3.1 hubs popped up. I put the system to sleep. And, my iPhone continued charging. Will test more thorougly tomorrow. (It's after 11PM JST and, old f*rts like me need our beauty rest)

I attached the image just to ask you to look and see if everything is missing. I don't have any internal devices running on USB except BT on the BRCM Host Controller. ATM, external devices are a thumb drive (Ultra), Wacom Pro, an iPhone, a keyboard and a mouse. So, it seems everything is being recognized.

And, the iPhone entry shows about the same numbers as yours. So, this little hack is a WIN for my system.

THANK YOU for posting this. It helps dispense with a the more serious issues I had. Removing the old HDA entries also seemed to open up some other audio options such as the optical digital output showing up. <-- Yes, I will be using that.

Waiting for the 'bleeding edgers' to report if the in-place upgrade to 10.14.2 is a good idea. But, overall, I am EXTREMELY pleased with this system.

Thanks to EVERYONE @HackaShaq @RehabMan @jb007 and several others, for making it possible.

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 22.51.38.png

Wow... getting through a 119 page thread can really make a guy thirsty :crazy:, but I made it. Thanks to HackaShaq and others for their work here. I'm just wrapping up a slightly modified build with a fresh Mojave 10.14.2 install:

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
EVGA Supernova G3 1000W
Intel Core i7-8700K
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler
Corsair LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
SAPPHIRE Radeon RX Vega 64 HBM2
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe (+ some SATA SSD I had)
Wifi/Bluetooth (BCM94360CS2)
Apple Magic Mouse 2
Logitech K740 Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard

Everything is working great at this point. Some hiccups with the Vega 64 (loud fan and only 1 output), until getting the Intel headless stuff sorted out. Now it's quiet with with 4 outputs :)

@jb007 - One question on your recent USB mini guide. I changed to that from your previous kext, and it seems to work fine. Although I only see the Extra Operating Current when connected to one of the rear panel USB ports. The front panel USB ports (hooked to the USB 3 header on the motherboard) don't seem to. I read your note about "internal" vs "external" but got the impression they were all marked external on what you supplied, and wasn't sure that would be involved anyway. But does anyone see high current output on the ports attached to the USB3 header on the motherboard?

Thanks again... can't wait to load this machine up and make the swap here.

Wow... getting through a 119 page thread can really make a guy thirsty :crazy:, but I made it. Thanks to HackaShaq and others for their work here. I'm just wrapping up a slightly modified build with a fresh Mojave 10.14.2 install:

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
EVGA Supernova G3 1000W
Intel Core i7-8700K
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler
Corsair LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
SAPPHIRE Radeon RX Vega 64 HBM2
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe (+ some SATA SSD I had)
Wifi/Bluetooth (BCM94360CS2)
Apple Magic Mouse 2
Logitech K740 Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard

Everything is working great at this point. Some hiccups with the Vega 64 (loud fan and only 1 output), until getting the Intel headless stuff sorted out. Now it's quiet with with 4 outputs :)

@jb007 - One question on your recent USB mini guide. I changed to that from your previous kext, and it seems to work fine. Although I only see the Extra Operating Current when connected to one of the rear panel USB ports. The front panel USB ports (hooked to the USB 3 header on the motherboard) don't seem to. I read your note about "internal" vs "external" but got the impression they were all marked external on what you supplied, and wasn't sure that would be involved anyway. But does anyone see high current output on the ports attached to the USB3 header on the motherboard?

Hi @Moonshine. Congrats on making it through all of these posts, and welcome to the @HackaShaq build.

Good pick up, as I have confirmed your finding that the F_USB30 mobo ports are not showing the 'Extra Operating Current' when connected to a iPhone 6. Interestingly though, it appears that it is charging at a higher rate than the USB 3 standard of 900ma according to my in-line USB voltage/current meter. I'm hampered by the fact that I only have one Apple product ATM to charge, and once it gets past a certain charge level it falls below the 900ma mark whilst charging.

I then have to flatten the battery by running videos on it for a while so I can test further.

I'll investigate further and see what I can find.

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 9.57.32 am.png

Yes charge while it sleeps at a higher current than 'normal'.

Why yes! It does. Thanks. (I don't know how you folks figure all this stuff out. But, I sure glad someone knows what it all means.)

@Moonshine and others. I have discovered why it is not charging on the F_USB30 (usually these are connected to two USB3 ports on your case), I made a mistake in my port discovery, yes me! I now believe I have it right.

I'm in the process of creating a SSDT and have created a USBPorts.kext which I have been testing it out with. Good news is you can use either the SSDT-UIAC.kext or the FB Patcher method.

So hang in for an hour and I should be able to upload both to my original mini guide.

AFTER.png
Edit: 18th Dec 2018
So I have uploaded a new SSDT-UIAC-EC-18.3.aml file. Just copy it over your existing one.
I believe all is well now, but please give feedback on whether it has worked for you or not.

Attached is my AFTER results for this modification. Thank you for tackling this.

However, after applying this fix, my trackpad suddenly started stuttering movements and I completely lost the Dock. Didn't see that coming!

I reverted to the previous version and, everything is now back and working well.

Last edited:
Some hiccups with the Vega 64 (loud fan and only 1 output), until getting the Intel headless stuff sorted out.

Can you elaborate on that? How did you get the fan quieted down? My rig is dead silent except for that one piece, so it sounds like a jet engine compared to the rest. I ordered an Alphacool closed loop water cooler for it, but they are out of stock.

@Moonshine
So hang in for an hour and I should be able to upload both to my original mini guide.

@jb007 Thanks... that's working for me :)

Can you elaborate on that? How did you get the fan quieted down? My rig is dead silent except for that one piece, so it sounds like a jet engine compared to the rest. I ordered an Alphacool closed loop water cooler for it, but they are out of stock.

@riverrat42 I'm using a VegaTab_64.kext for my Vega 64 that's generated by the VGTab app. Basically I saw information on it in this build. I just changed the following settings from the defaults (which seem a little odd):

Idle Speed: 700
Target Speed: 4900
Target Temp: 55

Then let it make the kext, installed it, and the fan was under control. This should work for Vega reference cards and possibly others. Can check the fan speed/temp with the following command (also picked up from other threads):

Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

View attachment 373442

Attached is my AFTER results for this modification. Thank you for tackling this.

However, after applying this fix, my trackpad suddenly started stuttering movements and I completely lost the Dock. Didn't see that coming!

I reverted to the previous version and, everything is now back and working well.
Mmmm, not quite sure as to the connection with the USB and your Dock. Could you give it another try as the previous SSDT is not correct?

I'm home at my desk and continued working on my hackintosh dual-boot + Win10 setup.

I decided to go with a iMac18,3 SMBIOS definition, and, now, after I sorted out my remaining issues, I want to give all fellow hackintoshers a quick overview of all the problems I had lately. This is mainly for those of you who are as new to hackintosh as I am. So to save your precious time, here are the top mistakes I made during setup:

Hardware related issues

There were some hardware related missteps I took. For example, please make sure to check, if the MoBo has enough space for the PCIe expansion you would like to install.

With the two slot graphics card that has very bulky fans in PCIe 16x, there's not much space left to spare. So, with the hardware components discussed in this thread (especially the Firewire PCIe 1x), there is only one more PCIe 1x slot left to use (the one at the bottom).

The remaining PCIe 1x slot on the bottom of the MoBo however, is covering the bottom M.2 NVMe SSD slot. So if you are going to equip the PCIe 1x slot with a Fenvi WiFi card, keep in mind to only use your second M.2 SSD either without or only with a tiny heatsink.

In my setup, with the Fenvi AC1900 WiFi card and the Icy Box M2H2 701 heatsink it's right on point where it fits (heatsink and WiFi card are touching but it's working).

Backup issues

To be able to test future macOS updates or changes in my Clover / EFI setup, I wanted to make sure to have an exact copy of my hackintosh disk. For this purpose, I ordered two 500 GB SSD M.2 cards. The main one goes into the top M.2 slot (right below the Dark Rock 4 Pro - so make sure, you install the SSD prior to installing the CPU Cooler!) and for cooling reasons (the middle slot is covered by the graphics card), the second one goes into the bottom M.2 slot (see the above mentioned notes about its heatsink).

That being said, I strongly suggest, not to use
Code:
dd if=/dev/disk0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=512
to make a bootable backup of your primary SSD. I unfortunately did and rendered my setup unusable: Since FileVault preboot somehow was not able to distinguish between both SSDs (they ended up having the same UUID identifier), it was not able to boot into macOS after entering the FileVault password and thus I had to create a bootable Ubuntu Linux stick and erase the second SSD.

So instead, the recommended action is the following:
  1. Boot into your primary SSD macOS.
  2. Install Carbon Copy Cloner and do a 1:1 copy from your primary SSD to your backup SSD (make sure to create a RecoveryHD on the backup SSD when Carbon Copy Cloner asks).
  3. Reboot (make sure to boot into your primary SSD's EFI, since there is none yet on your backup SSD) and select your backup SSD macOS in Clover.
  4. Mount the EFI folder from your primary SSD, copy it to your Desktop. Then unmount the primary SSD EFI and mount the backup SSD EFI. Copy the content from ~/Desktop/EFI to your backup SSD EFI.
  5. (Optional) Go to System -> Security & Privacy -> FileVault and turn it on.
  6. Make sure to set your MoBo BIOS-setting to always boot into your primary SSD EFI. (To be able to distinguish from which EFI clover is actually loaded during each startup, I used a slightly different Clover background image that I put into my themes folder in my backup SSD EFI Clover.
That way, you can do a 1:1 copy to your backup SSD any time using Carbon Copy Cloner and be able to boot it, if your primary SSD died.

Clover / EFI issues

1. Tidying up the Clover bootloader / Hiding unwanted instances

If you are going to hide all RecoveryHD and FileVault Preboot boot options, make sure to use Clover Configurator -> Gui -> Custom Entries.

For each FileVault drive you want to have as boot option, add a custom entry. While don't that, in the fields to fill out, select the "RecoveryHD" partition from the "volume" drop-down.

Hint:
In case macOS created a logical volume while turning on FileVault, you will have to select "Preboot" instead of "RecoveryHD". To avoid confusion and hassle, which one was the right "Preboot", I did the following:
First, I did a 1:1 copy of my primary SSD to my backup SSD as described in Steps 1 to 6 above. Then, I booted into my backup SSD and erased the primary SSD, so I could copy all files back from my backup SSD with a 1:1 copy using Carbon Copy Cloner again - including the creation of a new RecoveryHD volume on the primary SSD. That way, both disk structures are the same and it is easier to distinguish between them within
Code:
diskutil list
as well as the Disk Utility GUI.

Now, in case you also be able to distinguish between the two macOS instances within the Clover bootloader, make sure to give them a different name under "Title / FullTitle" in each custom entry. If you want to add a different icon to be shown for each instance within the bootloader as well, add another "Image" to the custom entry. Make sure to use a 128x128 PNG (!) file, that is named "your_icon.icns" since Clover is able to handle PNG files, but expects the file to be named icns. The path to be set in the "Image" file should point to the file like this: \EFI\CLOVER\themes\your_theme\icons\your_icon.icns

2. Preview not working
Since my Preview.app crashed while opening a .JPEG, I decided to enable my iGPU in the MoBo BIOS (BIOS -> Advanced Settings -> Chipset -> iGPU enable).

3. Uneasy sleep / Fixing random wakes in the middle of the night

In the first two nights, I woke up because my hackintosh would wake from sleep in the middle of the night. I fixed it by turning off "Power Nap" in System Preferences -> Energy Saver.

4. USB-Charging Power

You most probably want to be able to use an external Apple Super Drive or charge your iOS devices as fast as on a real Mac. For that, please take a look at @jb007's guide. I used his iMac18,3 files (SSDT-EC.aml, SSDT-USBX.aml and SSDT-UIAC-EC.aml - remember to remove the "-18,3" from the filename) and put them in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/.

Important: After installing the above mentioned *.aml files, I started getting random kernel panics while trying to boot into macOS or the FileVault bootloader. As soon as I added the "keepsyms=1" bootflag in my Clover config.cfg, the kernel panics stopped and I got a perfectly usable mashine (no crashes / freezes / delays what-so-ever)!

Final Configuration

Here's an overview of all my kexts installed in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other:

Code:
AppleALC.kext
FakeSMC.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

For you to review my current settings and be able compare it to your config, I also attached my config.plist (personal identifiers like the S/N created by the SMBIOS settings in the Clover Configurator or my SSD and HDD UUIDs are XXX'ed out).

I hope my hints can help some of you to avoid or tackle any issues you might face :)

Cheers,
hackmymac

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited by a moderator:
Back