Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Pro Tools 2018.10/VEP6 user here: I picked my mobo (see sig) and built this machine only because I needed to accommodate a Thunderbolt AIC for my Apollo interface. Had I known back in June that hotswap/power-down power up/get your device back is not currently possible, -and it's doubtful that it'll ever be, I would have purchased a used 2012 Mac Pro 12 core with a 1 TB PCIe Flash unit and 64 GB RAM to run my Vienna Ensemble Pro stuff headless and have all USB ports working when I need them.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean by 'hotswap/power-down power up/get your device back is not currently possible'. What kind of device(s) are you (dis)connecting?

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean by 'hotswap/power-down power up/get your device back is not currently possible'. What kind of device(s) are you (dis)connecting?
Sorry about that. I keep thinking that everybody can see that I'm running a Universal Audio "Apollo 8 Quad" via Thunderbolt. To run this unit on (see my setup below)... You have to power -up the device well before you power-up your computer. If you switch the unit off while the computer is still running, you'll not not only cause some errors, but you won't "recover" the device if you power it up again. -You have to start from the beginning. This is not the case with a real Mac or Windows machine. The mystery of mysteries is in the Thunderbolt stuff. @kgp has made some progress on the X299 builds, but nothing's ever been solved. It's timely that you wrote, because I was about to post this attachment:

Attachments

• Instruments Data Snippet.png
    Instruments Data Snippet.png
    697.7 KB · Views: 85
I had to do a few things slightly different than the how to but everything seems to be working now including all USB ports and both Networking ports.
[...]
Network: I selected IntelMausiEthernet.kext * I also had to select AtherosE2200Ethernet v2.2.2 to get the second killer NIC working as well *

This is great news, I wasn't sure if I would get the Killer Ethernet port to work properly without too much hassle, and I can make good use of it.

Wow, can't believe I read this whole thread!

So I think I'm going to use this awesome build to make my own Hackintosh. The mobo would be a GB Z370 Gaming 7 indeed. For the processor on the other hand, I'm not sure wether I should go with an i5 8600k or an i7 8700k. I want to use this build mostly to use with Logic X in HS and maybe to do some light video work. Besides, I won't OC it right away, but I want to keep the possibility to try it in the future. I'm also considering an i5 9600k which is sold the same price as the 8600k, but would require to have the mobo already flashed with at least F10, since I don't own any other 8th gen processor to flash it. I also read somewhere on this forum that the 8600k performed better in Logic X than its 9gen counterpart, but I can't seem to find this thread.

What would be the best fit for my needs? Where I live, the two i5 cost around 300€. The i7 8700k is a little bit more expensive at 420€. I'm not sure if I really need the extra performance an i7 would offer, because Logic isn't that CPU hungry compared to video editing software for instance. Maybe spending the extra cash saved with an i5 to buy more or faster ram would be more efficient?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I had this happen one time, and it was driving me nuts. Check these:

- This one happened to me: A SATA cable was fouling on the video card fan stopping it from turning at all. The computer kept randomly rebooting, exactly as you describe.

You could also check:
- Build up of dust / fluff in the CPU / GPU heatsink fins. This causes poor air circulation and could also cause the random reboots.

Thanks! Will take note of those remedies. Not worried about build up as all the parts are new haha but something to totally always keep in mind! I've gotten a few random restarts since my last post but what concerns me most is when I use Adobe Creative Suite applications, they crash... a lot. Thanks again :)

Thanks! Will take note of those remedies. Not worried about build up as all the parts are new haha but something to totally always keep in mind! I've gotten a few random restarts since my last post but what concerns me most is when I use Adobe Creative Suite applications, they crash... a lot. Thanks again :)

Did you try to stress test your system with different applications/benchmarks to make sure it's not a RAM or overclock (if you did that?) issue?

First I overclocked my system to 5GHz (1.3v) and it would run perfectly fine for Internet and Lightroom/Photoshop use. Lately I had 2 random shutdowns when I used the system under full load (rendering) for several hours. Since then I went down to 4.9Ghz and no issues anymore.

So first of all huge thank you for this write up. I just got done putting everything together and installing Mojave. Exact same hardware as in the original post.

Unfortunately, im running into a minor issue: Gopro 4K 60fps Videos lag and don’t play smooth in QuickTime. I have a fresh install with no special configs or Kexts at the moment.

This is really frustrating since my 3 year old MacBook has no issues playing this same file. I have no idea where to start to address this. Any help is appreciated

So I'm gonna buy a GB Z370 Gaming 7 Mobo and an i7 8700K today. One quick question about RAM: from what I understood, the important thing is to check on the motherboard specifications which modules have been tested with the specific board. But it seems that people on this forum have very mixed opinion whether it is useful to go with high frequency RAM rather than just go with more standard modules like 2400Mhz Ballistix Sport that are listed in the Buyer's Guide.

I see several members on this very thread who seem to be audio guys and know their way around hardware, like @e-troc and @jb007 choosing 3200MHz RAM. Is there a specific reason to go with higher frequency when working audio? Is it worth the extra bucks?

Back