Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

@jb007 Thanks for that. So, I thought I'd share a mystery item for the @HackaShaq build using the Fractal R6 case. I've been using your kext unchanged. Because our cases are different, there may be a difference on what "chassis USB connector" registers where, and if an internal hub may be monkeying around with the way an item registers. I'm not an EE, so I don't know all this stuff. I tested it with an iLok because it's a license holder and not something that has to be ejected to prevent damage. Oddly, I can't get that red type-A sized USB 3.1 port to register in the FB Patcher app. Check it out: Thanks @jb007 and @headkaze

View attachment 367912

I have the same case but with the USB-C Front Panel. The overview I made back then for my USB SSDT was with that case. In the overview you'll see all the ports labelled:

"HS01/SS01" - is the internal front panel USB3 connector

The red type USB 3.1 Type 2 ports have a separate chipset and are labelled differently "RP05" (2 external ports) & "RP07" (internal type C connector). They are not part of the Intel chipset.

@EdwardVH
Hi Guys, lately I've been annoyed by the "Disk not ejected properly" notification, when a USB drive is plugged in.
Are you guys getting this problem? If so, what did you do about it?

Do you have that issue after sleep or when you system is running?
The issue with with not properly ejected drives after sleep is known issue. I use the "Jettison" app to solve that issue. It will automatically eject drives when the system goes to sleep.

IF you experience the issue while your system is running, maybe re-check your usb connector on the motherboard.

Last edited:
Hi All!
I just wanted to say that I built pretty much this exact computer but with a 1TB Samsung 960 Evo M2 SSD, 64GB of GSkill RAM (2 x F4-2666C15D-32GVR) and the case with the tempered glass and I installed a fresh copy of 10.14.1 on it. This machine has been working great so far! I had to do a few things slightly different than the how to but everything seems to be working now including all USB ports and both Networking ports. This is pretty much what I did....

* First Set the BIOS to the recommended settings per the article *

1. Boot up the installer USB and open up Disk Utility so that you can format the SSD as APFS and name it Macintosh HD.

2. Install 10.14 to Macintosh HD

3. Install MultiBeast to get the machine booting from the SSD

MultiBeast Settings
Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
Audio: Leave All Unchecked.Skip installing any audio kexts for now (more on that later)
Disk: Leave All Unchecked.
Misc: Leave the FakeSMC (greyed out) option as the only install
Network: I selected IntelMausiEthernet.kext * I also had to select AtherosE2200Ethernet v2.2.2 to get the second killer NIC working as well *
USB: I selected 7/8/9 USB Support
Bootloaders >Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Customize: System Definition > iMac14,2

4. Fix the LEDs on the motherboard so that they are on but shut off when the computer is turned off or asleep

a. Launch Clover Configurator and select your config.plist file.
b. ACPI > Uncheck FixShutdown
c. Boot > Change the pulldown menu from "darkwake" to darkwake=8

In the BIOS settings:

Peripherals > LEDs in sleep, Hibernation, and Soft Off States: OFF
Power
> ErP: Enabled

5. For 10.14 I did not do any further patches for USB to work (I tested all USB ports and they work fine even after sleep)

6. Next I used KextBeast to install AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext into /Library/Extensions

7. Setup the Audio Patches in config

a. OpenClover Configurator
b. Select Mount EFI under TOOLS
c. Click Mount Partition for your boot drive
d. Click Open Partition to open your EFI folder.
e. Open config.plist using Clover Configurator
f. Click Apci
g. Add HDAS to HDEF patch DSDT > Patches box. Click the add “+”button and enter:

Comment: Rename HDAS to HDEF Find* [HEX]: 48444153
Replace [HEX]: 48444546

8. Next click Devices on the left column

9. Check ResetHDA checkbox

10. Now we will Inject the audio ID number based on the ALC1220 audio chipset from this motherboard. The list of supported codecs is here, but for this motherboard audio chipset the magic number is 11. Enter the number 11 in the audio field and hit enter. It will look like this:

11. Reboot your machine

12. There should now be two line-out audio outputs. I selected the bottom one for my jack on the back of the computer.

13. Last I edited the com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist in /Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences and changed “iMac (27inch, Late 2013)” to “Hackintosh Mac Pro (Late 2018)”. A restart is required for the changes to show up in the System Information Window.

14. Change the CPU information

- Open a Finder window, navigate to the System folder, and then to the Library folder inside. (Not the “Library” folder we visited in the Model name section).

- Inside Library, go to PrivateFrameworks, and find AppleSystemInfo.framework.

- Inside this framework, navigate to /Versions/A/Resources/. Then find the folder for your system language. If yours is English, go to English.lproj.

- Inside that folder, find the file AppleSystemInfo.strings. Copy the file, and paste one somewhere as a backup. Then paste another copy to your Desktop to edit. Do not try to edit the file in place, it will not work.

- Right-click the copy on your Desktop and open it with your editor of choice.

- In the editor, look through the file for the UnknownCPUKind entry which describes non-standard CPU models. Mine originally said “Unknown”.

- Edit the text in that line to report your preferred CPU model and speed, or whatever text you like. Save the document and exit.

- Hackintosh only, Mac users skip to Step 9.

Open up your Clover config.plist, and under the CPU section set the Type to Unknown. I used Clover Configurator for this step but it can be done manually too. (* Clover Configurator would not allow me to edit the Type so I had to manually edit the config.plist file and overwrite the original *)

- Drag the edited file from your Desktop back into the folder we got it from to overwrite the original. Authenticate with your user password if required.

- After a reboot the changes should be visible in the “About This Mac” window.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! to @HackaShaq for posting this amazing and detailed build.
I used this as a guide for my first build/Learning experience. And, it went perfectly (Well, almost due to my initial ignorance of certain details).
The requirements for posting builds here is a bit too involved for me at this point. And, for this build, there seems to be no good reason since SO MANY have followed your guide to success!
I am VERY grateful to be able to see what others have done and, at least replicate it - if not fully understand it at this point.

I now have a perfectly solid MacPro PLUS-level machine at less than half the cost. Who doesn't love that?
So glad you liked this build and it helped you...that's the exact reason I did this write up! Cheers.

I have the same case but with the USB-C Front Panel. The overview I made back then for my USB SSDT was with that case. In the overview you'll see all the ports labelled:

"HS01/SS01" - is the internal front panel USB3 connector

The red type USB 3.1 Type 2 ports have a separate chipset and are labelled differently "RP05" (2 external ports) & "RP07" (internal type C connector). They are not part of the Intel chipset.

@EdwardVH

Do you have that issue after sleep or when you system is running?
The issue with with not properly ejected drives after sleep is known issue. I use the "Jettison" app to solve that issue. It will automatically eject drives when the system goes to sleep.

IF you experience the issue while your system is running, maybe re-check your usb connector on the motherboard.

Thanks. The internal connector is fine. Everything works with Windows 10 Pro, even hotplug Thunderbolt, and Thunderbolt from two ports on the AIC. I never sleep my computer because it's a Pro Tools machine.

Last edited:
I'm sure we'll get the USB ports working in the next days. As for Thunderbolt, have you tried the new Titan Ridge card from Gigabyte? I've heard that it solves a lot of issues that occurred with the Alpine Ridge ones.

The USB ports all work, it's just a problem with a Lexar card reader and some external USB 3 5TB spinners. I'm using a single hub now and I'm just going to "Share" the spinners from a real Mini until I can find a more direct solution.

As far as Titan Ridge goes, I'm skeptical because I held out for Alpine Ridge -Rev.2, and all I have is a single TB port working with no hotplug. It's a mystery and no known fixes. (There are a few topics on this, so I don't want to get into this much here.)

Last edited:
The USB ports all work, it's just a problem with a Lexar card reader and some external USB 3 5TB spinners. I'm using a single hub now and I'm just going to "Share" the spinners from a real Mini until I can find a more direct solution.

As far as Titan Ridge goes, I'm skeptical because I held out for Alpine Ridge -Rev.2, and all I have is a single TB port working with no hotplug. It's a mystery and no known fixes. (There are a few topics on this, so I don't want to get into this much here.)

I have a TR. I only have one Thunderbolt device but it works in either port, just not hot plug using a Gaming 5. Thunderbolt with or without TB Cable to the header on the board. It also worked before the bios update though it did not show in the bios. Its good for my monthly Firesafe back up. It is even bootable. Just can't get the hot plug to work.

Sorry if this has already been answered but its a pretty long thread and search is a bit wonky for me right now. Can I use an i7-9700k chip or i9-9900k with this setup and have it work 100%? Are there any special instructions to get those chips to operate in this setup?

Sorry if this has already been answered but its a pretty long thread and search is a bit wonky for me right now. Can I use an i7-9700k chip or i9-9900k with this setup and have it work 100%? Are there any special instructions to get those chips to operate in this setup?

Yes you can use these CPUs on the Gaming 7, BUT you’ll need to have at least BIOS Version F10 on the motherboard (F11 is the latest). So if you get a new Gaming 7 ask the retailer if the BIOS is updated for 9th gen CPUs. Otherwise you’ll need an older CPU to flash the BIOS to the newest Version.
I am not 100% sure tough if the Gaming 7 let’s you flash the BIOS without a CPU installed.

I've got almost everything working fine right now, but there are two issues that are minor but very annoying. I only use the IGPU for now.
First thing is that when I'm booting into mojave first the dp stops displaying anything and just the hdmi connected display kepps showing the progress bar. Then the display starts glitching and only stops after some seconds on the log screen. So far everything is ok, but the dp screen is not recognized correctly until i plug it out and then in again.

Second annoyance is that that i can't find a solution for the hackintosh logging me out completely after some minutes of inactivity. I find that very annoying because I like listening to some music before going to sleep while the displays are already off, but the music stops after some minutes because of the complete logout.

I add my config file for further investigation. I use the config and usb kexts from @jb007 and only made minor changes because of the IGPU setup. It would be nice to find a fix for these issues.

Attachments

• config.plist
    15.2 KB · Views: 154
Very little difference between the two:
[…]
It really comes down to if you want want an M.2 slot for your WiFi/BT if you even care about handoff/continuity or if you want that Killer GB LAN.

If you're not planning adding a 3rd GPU, then the reinforcing of the 3rd slot on the Gaming 7 is also pretty worthless.

Anything the Gaming 5 or 7 have that the other does not you are likely able to add it on your own via a PCIe card.

Thank you for this confirmation, much appreciated. I'm sorry that I completely forgot to reply.

I'm planning on a single GPU and WiFi/BT (but mostly for the BT) on the M.2 because according to @pastrychef this is a little quicker responsive after sleep. I use cable ethernet for networking though.

Back