Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

The various sig/build/profile pages were a little confusing. I was trying to be really specific with my build components. Q: Did anyone's CPU temps start jumping up with Gigabyte's F7 BIOS with an 8700K? I'm trying to take it easy with the OC. I'm more concerned with over-voltage to my CPU than heat. I'm OC'ing at ~4.5GHz, I've diabled Intel Speed Shift, and temps are around 38-45°C: Can I share some Cinebench and Geekbench info here since I've got the same build?

The only big difference I saw when I updated to F7 and had the reconfigure the OC settings from scratch, I can run a stable OC of 4.9GHz at a lower core voltage.
Before my system would shutdown during benchmark test with anything lower of 1.35V at 4.9Ghz.
Now I am running stable at 1.3v at 4.9GHz.

Idle temps are around: 31-34 degrees (my CPU is delidded, applied Liquid Metal and running on a 280mm AIO water cooler).

I've disabled SpeedShift because it yanks the core frequency around too quickly for Pro Tools, and I'm all about keeping Pro Tools from randomly spiking the CPU. It's an Avid problem. If I were to run Pro Tools on Windows 10, I'm supposed to disable Hyper-Threading and set a "high affinity" to background processes. They need to rewrite their code, but they don't want to pay anyone to do it. So sacrifices (like electricity and special setups) have to be made. Here are my latest Geekbench and Cinebench Scores:View attachment 358871 View attachment 358872 View attachment 358873

Here's mine:
Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 12.10.15 am.png Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 12.10.56 am.png
I can't get anywhere near your Cinebench result of 148fps, mine is around 110fps... what version of Cinebench are you running @jiffyslot as mine looks different to yours?

Jim

Are you using it for video editing with Premiere CC ? I have big issue with hardware acceleration rendering crashing the system.
Some experience with that?
I'm not sure who you are directing this question to, me @jb007 or @jiffyslot?

Hi @benoithock, I don't do any 'real' video editing ATM, but if I do I use either iMovie or Blender (yes, Blender allows you to do non-linear video editing).

I'm using the Intel iGPU to help with QuickSync encoding... I'm not sure as to what I could try to see if I have the same issues rendering as I don't have Adobe Premiere. Does it crash with any other video editing application?

Jim

Hi thanks for reply. I have this problem only on premiere since there add hardware rendering using quicksync whitch is activated on my system.
If you really have time to try it with a demo software from premiere will be nice

Thank’s

Ben

@jb: Cinebench v15.038.

I'm using FCPX. When you send a project to Compressor, you have to tick the "Use GPU" box or a 3 minute FCPX clip will take 35 minutes to make an MXF 1080 clip. I turned on the RX-580 and the render dropped to 35 seconds.

I want to move over to DaVinci Resolve 15. I'm trying Media Composer First today. I've never got it to launch on a Mac or PC with crashing. Last chance today. Compressor is pretty great though. I'll have to check out Blender. I didn't know that you could cut on that.

Compressor is worth it as a utility, plus it has distributed processing. So I could cut on a Mini and have my Hack do the render over ethernet. Cool stuff.

Hi thanks for reply. I have this problem only on premiere since there add hardware rendering using quicksync whitch is activated on my system.
If you really have time to try it with a demo software from premiere will be nice

Thank’s

Ben

@benoithock

Hi Ben (@benoithock), I signed up for the 7-day trial version of Adobe CC and ran a couple of quick tests for you.

I'm not a 'Video' expert by any means but I tried to convert the 'Sony Camp 4K Demo.mp4' 2:07min 4K video file to 1920x1080 using the same frame rate as the original 59.94Hz using H.264.

It took roughly 2:55 to export.

I've captured the settings that I used, along with 3 Intel Power Gadget screenshots i.e. the start of the export, during and after and also a screenshot of the VTDecoderXPCService, which if I understand correctly, shows that the iGPU QuickSync is working (?). My AMD RX 580 was maxed out during this export, which is to be expected, as I think Adobe uses the GPU for the encoding.

You can see that the iGPU is being used to help with the encoding, but I don't think it's really needed as the RX 580 does most of the grunt work. Others with more experience with video editing can chime in here, as I'm a bit out of my 'comfort zone' with video editing etc.

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 12.32.37 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 12.33.13 pm.png Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 12.35.06 pm.png Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 12.36.16 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 12.55.56 pm.png

@jb: Cinebench v15.038.

I'm using FCPX. When you send a project to Compressor, you have to tick the "Use GPU" box or a 3 minute FCPX clip will take 35 minutes to make an MXF 1080 clip. I turned on the RX-580 and the render dropped to 35 seconds.

I want to move over to DaVinci Resolve 15. I'm trying Media Composer First today. I've never got it to launch on a Mac or PC with crashing. Last chance today. Compressor is pretty great though. I'll have to check out Blender. I didn't know that you could cut on that.

Compressor is worth it as a utility, plus it has distributed processing. So I could cut on a Mini and have my Hack do the render over ethernet. Cool stuff.

Hi @jiffyslot. I checked and my demo version of Cinebench is v15.038 same as you are using, but I think you have paid for yours?
Still can't get my FPS to match yours. Might be because you are on HS 10.13.6 and I'm on Mohave where maybe the AMD drivers have been more optimized for 'Metal' rather than OpenGL, which Apple is going away from.

I ran the same test's on Windows 10 Pro (same machine) and interestingly my FPS went up but CPU went down. Cinebench also mistakenly thinks I'm was running on Windows 8... maybe they should update it!

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 1.27.06 pm.png Capture_win10_OpenGL.JPG

Jim

Hi @jiffyslot. I checked and my demo version of Cinebench is v15.038 same as you are using, but I think you have paid for yours?
Still can't get my FPS to match yours. Might be because you are on HS 10.13.6 and I'm on Mohave where maybe the AMD drivers have been more optimized for 'Metal' rather than OpenGL, which Apple is going away from.

I ran the same test's on Windows 10 Pro (same machine) and interestingly my FPS went up but CPU went down. Cinebench also mistakenly thinks I'm was running on Windows 8... maybe they should update it!

View attachment 359110 View attachment 359112

Jim

That's interesting since we have the same system, more or less (thanks @HackaShaq !) The Cinebench I ran is the demo, and really, the scores are close enough. It won't run a Metal b.m. on the demo, just CPU and Open GL. I've moved my OC back to 4.3 GHz and only took a slight hit on the Cinebench score. FWIW, I turned the Intel iGPU is set to Auto with settings of 128MB min 256MB max -in BIOS F7.

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 11.48.28 PM.png

I haven't checked yet to see if this helps with Compressor. I always use "Send to Compressor" rather than render from the timeline. I think most of my issues are a combo of weird OS bugs that were never fixed and inadequately patched 3rd party software.

I've re-enabled SpeedShift and enabled IGPU only for FCPX. Avid Media Composer First is a bit of a mess and loads up the systems with Java and a lot of background processes. And there's no apparent split/blade key as there is in Avid Pro Tools 2018.10. DaVinci Resolve 15.1 crashes on launch while validating a Vienna Ensemble Pro plugin. So I'm stuck with FCPX. Too bad that Logic X is a definitely not an A/V Post tool.

Hmmm...if you're able to get the icon to show up, and you purchased the exact same Broadcom one, (and there was no change in the manufacturer) I would first try a reboot and then a different USB port, and try pairing/connecting only one device just at first.

I don't really have an answer because typically if the hardware isn't working the OS doesn't recognize the bluetooth adapter at all. Since it is recognizing it, usually that's a software issue, and this dongle is true plug and play with no need for anything to configure.

Yeah after a couple of restarts it worked! Speaking of restarts, have you come across any issues with your computer randomly restarting? it's happened more times than I can count as I'm working :-X Any advice is good advice, thanks :)

Yeah after a couple of restarts it worked! Speaking of restarts, have you come across any issues with your computer randomly restarting? it's happened more times than I can count as I'm working :-X Any advice is good advice, thanks :)
Never. Literally never.
I've never had my machine randomly restart.

I would suggest removing any overlocking settings back to stock numbers and testing things out for a while.

Back