Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I hate to ask, I am starting my first build and about to order all the parts -
My main priority is to have win/mac dual boot using 2 x m.2 ssd's.
If I get this motherboard with this setup (inc. RX 580), can I just install the Broadcom wifi/bluetooth adapter (BCM94360) in the PCI-e slot and everything will work? (wifi/BT & 2 x m.2 ssd & rx580)
Sorry for the noob question

Mmm @EdwardVH I'm not 100% sure what's going on....

If none of the below helps you out, let us know, but it's getting harder to help you without any files, etc., from you. So if possible maybe include your config.plist, etc. This should be a 'no-brainer', but as you say, it's 'doing your head in'. This is something I can definitely relate to after my 44+ years in the electronics/software industries, but usually it's a very simple reason, not a complex one, you just have to find it before it does you in! :banghead::lol:
  1. It's good that your fans are firing up, but I'm pretty sure that they are controlled by the GPU it's self, just so it doesn't self-destruct whilst waiting for the system to tell it to turn on the fans. Others more knowledgeable than me could tell you what's going on there.
  2. Can you tell me what the HWMonitor is reporting whilst it's idle and also when you crank it up?
  3. I've run my RX 580 since Apple introduced support for these AMD RX xxx cards, and in the early days the GPU temp was not being reported, but the clever guy & gals soon fixed that, so having HS 10.13.6 is not an issue.
  4. Make sure you are using the same if not the latest kexts.
  5. Also, make sure you are loading only kexts that only have to be in the '/EFI/kexts/Other' directory for a successful boot, and all others in /S/L/E and that you have updated the kernel cache by running the following commands, and fixing any errors:
    Code:
    sudo touch /Library/Extensions
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo kextcache -i /
  6. I'm not running HWMonitor, I'm running 'iStat Menus', and the following kexts that I injected from the Unibeast 9. installer pen drive. The GPU Temp is reported as 'GPU Die' this the name that FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext reports to the HWMonitor app or in my case iStats Menu.
    View attachment 357870
  7. In my /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other I only have these kexts.
    View attachment 357871
  8. If you run System Information/Graphics/Displays... you should see if macOS is reporting that it is an AMD RX 580... like mine below. It would be interesting to see if the MSI card that you have is recognized by the Vendor 0x1002 and the DeviceID. I've had a look inside the FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext's Info.plist and it appears it is looking only for the vendor ID 0x1002. Could you confirm that you have this ID?
    Code:
    Radeon RX 580:

Chipset Model:    Radeon RX 580
      Type:    GPU
      Bus:    PCIe
      PCIe Lane Width:    x16
      VRAM (Dynamic, Max):    8192 MB
      Vendor:    AMD (0x1002)
      Device ID:    0x67df
      Revision ID:    0x00e7
      Metal:    Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
      Displays:
    DELL P2415Q:
      Resolution:    3840 x 2160 (2160p 4K UHD - Ultra High Definition)
      UI Looks like:    1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
      Framebuffer Depth:    30-Bit Colour (ARGB2101010)
      Display Serial Number:    866H664P050L
      Main Display:    Yes
      Mirror:    Off
      Online:    Yes
      Rotation:    Supported
      Adapter Type:    DisplayPort
      Automatically Adjust Brightness:    No
    DELL P2415Q:
      Resolution:    5120 x 2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)
      UI Looks like:    2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
      Framebuffer Depth:    30-Bit Colour (ARGB2101010)
      Display Serial Number:    V96RW78J15VB
      Mirror:    Off
      Online:    Yes
      Rotation:    Supported
      Adapter Type:    DisplayPort
      Automatically Adjust Brightness:    No

Thanks JB,

I've reviewed the kexts, and made sure it was all tidied up.
I noted that you mentioned /S/L/E but your kexts seem to be loaded in /L/E, so I've done the same.
One thing I hadn't done previously was clear the cache, and that is now also done.

I can confirm that the vendor and device ID is correct, see attached.
I can also confirm all the fakesmc kexts are loaded.

I've also uploaded my config.plist for you to have a look at.

I run the test again, and it appears to be similar as before. I can see when the the GPU die temp gets to about 57 degrees, the fan kicks in during the stress test.

However, the worrying thing is that at idle, or during normal web browsing, the temp creeps up and the card gets very hot and the fans do not run at all.

Is the a configuration somewhere in a kext or other where the fan settings are? I'd ideally like to lower that temp. I don't mind the fans turning slowly all the time to be honest, as they do when I stick a windows hard drive in on the system, that's sort of suggesting to me the hardware is ok.

There must be something on the osx system stopping the fans because during boot-up, the fans are running, and when it gets to the login window, they stop.

Attachments

• Screen1.png
    Screen1.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 84
  • config.plist
    6.4 KB · Views: 160
I hate to ask, I am starting my first build and about to order all the parts -
My main priority is to have win/mac dual boot using 2 x m.2 ssd's.
If I get this motherboard with this setup (inc. RX 580), can I just install the Broadcom wifi/bluetooth adapter (BCM94360) in the PCI-e slot and everything will work? (wifi/BT & 2 x m.2 ssd & rx580)
Sorry for the noob question
Yes it should all work. Make sure to install the Wifi card into one of the two PCIe x1 slots and not any of the three larger ones.

maxresdefault.jpg

The only thing to worry about / figure out is which Sata port will be disabled by running two of the NVME M.2 drives. Read the motherboard manual to find out.

Yes it should all work. Make sure to install the Wifi card into one of the two PCIe x1 slots and not any of the three larger ones.

View attachment 358036

The only thing to worry about / figure out is which Sata port will be disabled by running two of the NVME M.2 drives. Read the motherboard manual to find out.

thank you so much for this info.
kinda worried I'm gonna mess something up...

thank you so much for this info.
kinda worried I'm gonna mess something up...
No worries. It happens to everyone starting out. You always get a chance to fix your mistakes. It's always best to research first, then do the build slowly as to avoid any "big" mistakes that would be very costly. If Quinn's Mom can build a PC I'm sure you can too. Ask us any questions if you have them and we'll try to help out.

Thanks JB,

I've reviewed the kexts, and made sure it was all tidied up.
I noted that you mentioned /S/L/E but your kexts seem to be loaded in /L/E, so I've done the same.
One thing I hadn't done previously was clear the cache, and that is now also done.

I can confirm that the vendor and device ID is correct, see attached.
I can also confirm all the fakesmc kexts are loaded.

I've also uploaded my config.plist for you to have a look at.

I run the test again, and it appears to be similar as before. I can see when the the GPU die temp gets to about 57 degrees, the fan kicks in during the stress test.

However, the worrying thing is that at idle, or during normal web browsing, the temp creeps up and the card gets very hot and the fans do not run at all.

Is the a configuration somewhere in a kext or other where the fan settings are? I'd ideally like to lower that temp. I don't mind the fans turning slowly all the time to be honest, as they do when I stick a windows hard drive in on the system, that's sort of suggesting to me the hardware is ok.

There must be something on the osx system stopping the fans because during boot-up, the fans are running, and when it gets to the login window, they stop.

Hi @EdwardVH. Yes, I did mean /L/E.

I have had a look at your config.plist. Some things I don't think are right are:
Boot Section
  1. -disablegfxfirmware should be disableddart=0
  2. dart=0 disable it.
Device Section
  1. Change all the Fake ID's to nothing ie delete them so they become nothing
Graphics Section
  1. Unless you are using you Intel iGPU in 'headless' mode then don't have ig-platform-id filled out. Also 0x59120000 I believe is wrong use one of the ones for Coffe Lake using the drop-down list... search for the correct one.
  2. Remove Inject Intel if not using your iGPU as above
  3. Also if you do intend to use your iGPU, then use iMac18,3 as your Product Name in your SMBIOS. iMac18,3 is closer to our build than 14,2 but both will work to get you going. Use the Up/Down arrows to select this in this section.
I have uploaded my config.plist that I was using when I was running HS 10.13.6 on this build. I've deleted my serial number etc. I was running Clover r4674 with this configuration.

There are also some ACPI setting in my file that you don't have along with Drop Tables DMAR & PluginType... the last makes power management work better for the CPU etc.

Hopefully, this will get you in the ballpark. Rename/copy (I use the right click duplicate function) your original config.plist before adding mine. If the system doesn't boot then in clover boot menu you can select the original one.

Last, of all, I hope these work I've had very little time to check further on this today. Let me and others know how you go.:thumbup:

Jim:)

Attachments

• config-HS.10.13.6 Clover 4674.plist
    8.3 KB · Views: 127
Hi @jiffyslot. I've been wondering where you were at with your hack, I notice that there still is a cross on your Avitar?

Hi @EdwardVH. Yes, I did mean /L/E.

I have had a look at your config.plist. Some things I don't think are right are:
Boot Section
  1. -disablegfxfirmware should be disableddart=0
  2. dart=0 disable it.
Device Section
  1. Change all the Fake ID's to nothing ie delete them so they become nothing
Graphics Section
  1. Unless you are using you Intel iGPU in 'headless' mode then don't have ig-platform-id filled out. Also 0x59120000 I believe is wrong use one of the ones for Coffe Lake using the drop-down list... search for the correct one.
  2. Remove Inject Intel if not using your iGPU as above
  3. Also if you do intend to use your iGPU, then use iMac18,3 as your Product Name in your SMBIOS. iMac18,3 is closer to our build than 14,2 but both will work to get you going. Use the Up/Down arrows to select this in this section.
I have uploaded my config.plist that I was using when I was running HS 10.13.6 on this build. I've deleted my serial number etc. I was running Clover r4674 with this configuration.

There are also some ACPI setting in my file that you don't have along with Drop Tables DMAR & PluginType... the last makes power management work better for the CPU etc.

Hopefully, this will get you in the ballpark. Rename/copy (I use the right click duplicate function) your original config.plist before adding mine. If the system doesn't boot then in clover boot menu you can select the original one.

Last, of all, I hope these work I've had very little time to check further on this today. Let me and others know how you go.:thumbup:

Jim:)

Hey JB... first up, thanks for your time on this...

I had a look at your config.plist and made some adjustments to mine, and changed SMBIOS to 18,3.

I'm starting to think that the graphics card fans maybe only kick in at high 50 degrees, and that's it. Maybe I'm chasing a ghost here.

One very positive thing about your comments and plist is now my USB is working 100%. Before, anything plugged into USB 3 ports were only seen after a sleep cycle. That now seems to be fixed.

To be honest, this build now is - i think - just about perfect. Great CPU and GPU performance.

The last things probably to do now is to buy a EVO 970 pro nvme drive to get better performance, and maybe explore changing out the wi-fi card for one that is native apple. Not sure at this point how fiddly that may be.

Hey JB... first up, thanks for your time on this...

I had a look at your config.plist and made some adjustments to mine, and changed SMBIOS to 18,3.

I'm starting to think that the graphics card fans maybe only kick in at high 50 degrees, and that's it. Maybe I'm chasing a ghost here.

One very positive thing about your comments and plist is now my USB is working 100%. Before, anything plugged into USB 3 ports were only seen after a sleep cycle. That now seems to be fixed.

To be honest, this build now is - i think - just about perfect. Great CPU and GPU performance.

The last things probably to do now is to buy a EVO 970 pro nvme drive to get better performance, and maybe explore changing out the wi-fi card for one that is native apple. Not sure at this point how fiddly that may be.
Thanks @EdwardVH. Yes my fans kick in around 48C in macOS.
I can’t get my card to go above 76C when stressing it with Blender or Heaven benchmarks. This with an ambient temp around 20C.
I’m looking forward to having monitoring of the GPU fans.
Jim

Back