Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

What I've found is that if one borks an install, it kind of ruins the USB installer and you have to really start over, even clearing what seems to Optimized Defaults. This time, I opened the MultiBeast package and installed Clover from there to be sure everything matched. -This was the first time I did that. EFI Mounter v3 was not working on first reboot, and I didn't see any of the MultiBeast patches anywhere (neither EFI nor S/L/E) so I figured I was gonna be a Windows 10 guy on this machine when I restarted. But then, it just worked. So, I did what you said and I'm cloning the HFS+ Fusion drive to an Angelbird HFS+ SSD. If the clone takes, then I'll proceed.

Okay, so I have a working 10.13.6 APFS working on an SSD. -The APFS No Convert command still doesn't work. This build, I only used MultiBeast and Migration Assistant -I did not use Clover Configurator. My trick is to go into the BIOS screen and make certain that the SATA boot priority is always the UEFI part of my SSD. If you've used other drives (disconnected or not) it may take a few tries to get the right SATA device in this MOBO's "two-choices only" design.

FWIW, "Optimized Defaults" don't always stay that way and are not visible in the BIOS setup after you've attempted a build, so select "Load Optimized Defaults" every time that you attempt a new install. But hey what do I know? I've been trying this for way too long now. :banghead:

What I'm wondering now is: Should I go into BIOS and delete any other non-HD specific BCFG entries that are pointing to anything other than to my newly-minted installation? :?:

Hi @jiffyslot. I don't have this issue. I set up the BIOS as per this guides BIOS setup save it as a profile eg 'My Hackintosh' I also have one for other OS's like Windows etc. You from memory are running an earlier BIOS... so maybe there are issues I'm unaware of. But as an exercise just setup up using this guide which always should be done with starting using 'optimized Defaults'. Also if you ever do a BIOS upgrade always reset your BIOS settings just in case there is other problems....

Another thing is in Clover Boot menu clear your cache... can't remember the function key for this ATM, but press F1 for help it will tell you.

Jim

Hi @jiffyslot. I don't have this issue. I set up the BIOS as per this guides BIOS setup save it as a profile eg 'My Hackintosh' I also have one for other OS's like Windows etc. You from memory are running an earlier BIOS... so maybe there are issues I'm unaware of. But as an exercise just setup up using this guide which always should be done with starting using 'optimized Defaults'. Also if you ever do a BIOS upgrade always reset your BIOS settings just in case there is other problems....

Another thing is in Clover Boot menu clear your cache... can't remember the function key for this ATM, but press F1 for help it will tell you.

Jim

Yeah, I have a few saved BIOS setups -but there are changes that are being written into and hanging around in the (PRAM?) -whatever the equivalent is on this MOBO. Something that survives shutdowns with no disks attached, etc. Something that can survive anything but an outright CMOS-shorting as per the manual. Maybe it is those Clover caches. Anyway, will do. So clearing the Clover Caches is preferable to the BCFG dump commands?

The clones are stable, though I got the machine to throw a KP when I hit the "System Diagnostics" button in Activity Monitor. I ran First Aid on both disks after that. No problems to report. Pictures this week... Thanks man!

Yeah, I have a few saved BIOS setups -but there are changes that are being written into and hanging around in the (PRAM?) -whatever the equivalent is on this MOBO. Something that survives shutdowns with no disks attached, etc. Something that can survive anything but an outright CMOS-shorting as per the manual. Maybe it is those Clover caches. Anyway, will do. So clearing the Clover Caches is preferable to the BCFG dump commands?

The clones are stable, though I got the machine to throw a KP when I hit the "System Diagnostics" button in Activity Monitor. I ran First Aid on both disks after that. No problems to report. Pictures this week... Thanks man!

Sorry had a few bourbons whilst watching Netflix... I knew I was celebrating something!:clap::headbang:

FWIW I'd recommend that now it's all going, back up and maybe look at updating your BIOS to at least F6 or F7 from a USB drive not from Windows, but save your BIOS profiles to a USB as they get wiped during a BIOS upgrade.

Jim

Hi @jiffyslot. Interesting about the System Diagnostics and your KP. I tried it on my Dell XPS (whoops my MacBook Pro ) and it runs fine. I'll try it on my Z370 in morning.

Re your PRAM? it is most probably info stored in your NVRAM... clear it by running the cache clearing Function from Clover boot menu. Even on this Dell XPS-12 it is using the NVRAM to store/persist lots of things between boots e.g. I've just implemented 'native brightness control which preserves my screen brightness settings between reboots.

If you want to see what's stored in your NVRAM, just type in a terminal 'nvram -p'

Look forward to hearing more positive outcomes on your hack!

Jim

HackaShaq! I'm absolutely loving the build and your username! XD

I've been able to model my build after yours, and it has come out almost perfect! The only thing I cannot seem to get going is the Bluetooth dongle. I used the link you provided to purchase the one you did but it will not connect to any of my Bluetooth devices. The icon shows up and my phone recognizes the computer, but it refuses to connect and send files. Any ideas on how to possibly get that to work would be amazing. Thanks again for your time and effort!

I'm running Darkwake=0 since moving to Mojave, see this post of mine for the details.

What macOS are you running HS or Mojave? if HS then yes Darkwake=8 is your answer, but Mojave = 0 in my experience.

Darkwake=0 broke Power Nap for me (I use it constantly for cloud syncing and Time Machine). With Darkwake=8, things are generally stable. One quirk is that if I am near the computer during a Power Nap session, my Apple Watch tends to unlock the machine, but this does not impact stability in any way. I tried Darkwake=10, which was also relatively acceptable, but caused intermittent crashes every once in a while during wake up.

For those who do not intend to use Power Nap in Mojave, darkwake=0 with FixShutdown in Clover seems to be the best option. Otherwise, set darkwake=8, uncheck FixShutdown and enable ErP in BIOS.

Hey guys... just a tid-bit.

I was actually trying to get Yosemite going with this hardware. I got a fair ways - all the way to the log in screen, but could not get USB working. Mouse and keyboard would not fire up.

In trying to get it working, i set Legacy USB in the BIOS to ENABLE.
When I went back to High Sierra disk, I forgot to set Legacy USB back to AUTO in the BIOS. The system would not sleep.

Just a heads up if you have this problem, check to see that Legacy USB is set to AUTO, then sleep works again fine.

Off topic: I really would love to get Yosemite working with the Z370 and i5-8400. My opinion is that's the last awesome build that Apple did. And it's fast. It screams when used in a RAID 0 configuration on a 10 year old system, so it must be lightning fast on this hardware. I guess though, that's for a different thread. If anyone is interested, let's give it a go.

HackaShaq! I'm absolutely loving the build and your username! XD

I've been able to model my build after yours, and it has come out almost perfect! The only thing I cannot seem to get going is the Bluetooth dongle. I used the link you provided to purchase the one you did but it will not connect to any of my Bluetooth devices. The icon shows up and my phone recognizes the computer, but it refuses to connect and send files. Any ideas on how to possibly get that to work would be amazing. Thanks again for your time and effort!
Hmmm...if you're able to get the icon to show up, and you purchased the exact same Broadcom one, (and there was no change in the manufacturer) I would first try a reboot and then a different USB port, and try pairing/connecting only one device just at first.

I don't really have an answer because typically if the hardware isn't working the OS doesn't recognize the bluetooth adapter at all. Since it is recognizing it, usually that's a software issue, and this dongle is true plug and play with no need for anything to configure.

Back