Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I still have a problem with internet. Cable is connected, I do get green dot in the preferences (network), I get local ip but it doesn't connect to internet or my router. I have to refresh dhcp few times, wait few minutes and randomly it starts to work and stays that way.

The same thing on both killer and intel ethernet port.

What could it be?

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2018-08-02 o 11.10.03.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2018-08-02 o 11.10.03.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 74
I still have a problem with internet. Cable is connected, I do get green dot in the preferences (network), I get local ip but it doesn't connect to internet or my router. I have to refresh dhcp few times, wait few minutes and randomly it starts to work and stays that way.

The same thing on both killer and intel ethernet port.

What could it be?

Which peripherals do you have connected to usb ports? If you have many of them, try to pull out them and see if you still have the problem.

My Hack crashed hard. Unrecoverably hard, as in not boot from my CCC backup -which was the first thing I did when I got it to boot the first time after Multibeast. Starting over. Anyway, about Thunderbolt, I just made these for you. I'm assuming nothing about what you already know, so pardon the arrows, etc.

Jeez @jiffyslot, you're not having much luck! Thanks for the info, I will be getting a TB3 card very soon, but the eGPU will have to wait a little bit longer as I went out and purchase a 10Gbe Switch today (I've got a 10Gbe NIC talking to my NAS), and my wallet is looking very sad!

I don't mind you assuming my level of knowledge, sometimes it's the little things you think you know, that are the gotchas! I have both a hardware and software engineering qualifications, but I'm getting a little older and sometimes forget what I did 5 minutes ago but remember things I learnt back in 1975 in the military... go figure.

Moving on, after your post the other day, I created a new USB with the latest 10.13.6 ( I installed/upgraded from 10.13.4). I installed on a spare SSD using APFS, with no problems. It has to be something really simple with your set-up (it usually is), but what I don't know. :(4

Have you, (you most probably have), run from the clover boot menu with verbose on, select space bar, then the options for verbose and halt on kernel panic, to see if you can get any error message or where its hanging. Also pressing F2 before booting dumps a boot log file into the EFI/EFI/CLOVER/misc/ directory as preboot.log and if you have the debug=0x100 flag set in your config.plist Boot section, I believe it also creates a debug.log file in there also. Turn this flag off when finished, as it slows down the boot process.

I can send you my config.plist if you want... let us know. Jim

Edit: For the debug.log file just press F4 at clover boot, F2 for preboot.log or both, for well both!
Edit: Also I had problems last week whenI updated my clover, from memory it rebooted just as it was initialising the AMD graphics after all the crosses... I've reverted back to Clover revision: 4458. I'll re investigate this tomorrow and re confirm.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

First off, thanks HackaShaq for the perfect build instructions. I finished my build recently and nearly everything works flawlessly. I haven't sorted my USB situation yet (only front ports work, but haven't had enough time to deal with it). Both Ethernet work, my 1080Ti works, even Thunderbolt! But one thing that surprised me is how hot my CPU runs when I'm running a heavy task. I have a Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 Liquid unit, and I'm not sure what's going on here. Has anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 8.18.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 8.18.50 AM.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 69
how hot my CPU runs when I'm running a heavy task.

What is the task that pushes temps up that high ?

What kind of temps do you get at idle ?

I'm running an offline bounce in Pro Tools - it's pushing the processor, but I didn't expect it to get that hot. Hackashaq used a different cooler, but he was reaching 60C, so that's a huge difference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 10.27.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 10.27.03 AM.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 70
I'm running an offline bounce in Pro Tools - it's pushing the processor, but I didn't expect it to get that hot. Hackashaq used a different cooler, but he was reaching 60C, so that's a huge difference.
Correct, a liquid AIO cooler shouldn't be doing that poor of a job. Have you checked that it is seated properly on the IHS of the CPU ? Was the thermal paste pre-applied or did you apply it ? Do you hear the pump working ? Only other thing I can think of is that you may have gotten a defective cooler if it was installed correctly and it's not keeping temps at least below 80C when you stress it.

Correct, a liquid AIO cooler shouldn't be doing that poor of a job. Have you checked that it is seated properly on the IHS of the CPU ? Was the thermal paste pre-applied or did you apply it ? Do you hear the pump working ? Only other thing I can think of is that you may have gotten a defective cooler if it was installed correctly and it's not keeping temps at least below 80C when you stress it.
Ok, I'll check everything there - glad I noticed this before starting to use the machine full time... Thanks trs96!

*and to reply fully - i hope it was seated properly, probably would have shut down a couple times of overheating if it wasnt. I applied the paste, evenly. But here's the question - fans are spinning fine and have their own power cable. Pump has LED which is lights up, so I'm guessing its working, but it's a pretty quiet rig so hard to say?...

Last edited:
Ok, I'll check everything there - glad I noticed this before starting to use the machine full time... Thanks trs96!

*and to reply fully - i hope it was seated properly, probably would have shut down a couple times of overheating if it wasnt. I applied the paste, evenly. But here's the question - fans are spinning fine and have their own power cable. Pump has LED which is lights up, so I'm guessing its working, but it's a pretty quiet rig so hard to say?...
If you can't get temps down adequately you can always return it and get a BeQuiet or Noctua air cooler that will do the job. They don't cost that much more than you paid for your AIO. Air cooling is a lot less complicated and has fewer ways to fail. If it does fail it usually just takes a simple fan replacement.

If you can't get temps down adequately you can always return it and get a BeQuiet or Noctua air cooler that will do the job. They don't cost that much more than you paid for your AIO. Air cooling is a lot less complicated and has fewer ways to fail. If it does fail it usually just takes a simple fan replacement.
Ok, so I went back to no over clocking and then ran a test. Then back to OC, test again. Results are pretty interesting. It does a good job cooling standard settings but once I kick it into OC it barely keeps up.
I feel like a more powerful fan would be necessary if overclocking. thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.09.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.09.26 AM.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.16.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.16.56 AM.png
    245.2 KB · Views: 123
Back