Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Good info, and you're exactly right about stability. If the machine isn't stable, then it's pointless. But what I like about this "dummy" approach is that it's so easy to turn off and/or go back to "normal", or dial down the CPU overclock without having to remember all the manual settings from my original overlock step-by-step.

I just did a few sleep/wakes, and my system sleeps and it properly stays asleep. So I'm not experiencing any sleep/wake issues at all. Then again, I just installed the new BIOS today, so I'm going to keep a close eye on things. But I haven't had any sleep issues (or any OS issues at all really) on 10.13.4 or 10.13.5. Hope that info helps.

Thanks for the quick feedback, it must be very early there in the States (assumption on my part). Don't forget that you can save your settings into different 'Profiles' in the BIOS. I have at least 2, 1 for macOS and the other for Windows. You can create multiple, and also overwrite them as required.

I look into the sleep issue... I'll disconnect all USB devices... I'm using nearly all ports (especially the internal ports) and try and isolate the cause. I'll post if I find an issue that might effect others users of this board.

Hey, jimmakos01.

avxoffset was already set to Auto, and uncore ratio is at 40 but there's no way to change that individually (option to change is likely dependent on another setting.)

Here's what my current CPU settings look like with thew overclock:

View attachment 339959

I'll be happy to test any other settings, but performance seems to definitely be tied to my memory speed.

At uncore section, type Auto. Then save your bios settings and run again geekbench. When you run geekbench, all the programms must be closed. Only geekbench must be open.

At uncore section, type Auto. Then save your bios settings and run again geekbench. When you run geekbench, all the programms must be closed. Only geekbench must be open.
Gotcha. I always have Geekbench running as the only app.

I have made quite a few adjustments since my last reply to you, including a BIOS update.

I am now using the more simplistic "CPU Upgrade" overlock over my manual overlock settings, and an updated F6 version BIOS.
With the simplistic "CPU Upgrade" overlock, it now automatically sets both to Auto.

IMG_3813_preview.jpeg

Geekbench numbers were the following: 25,671

I then applied the M.I.T > Advanced Memory Options Memory Enhancement Settings > Enhanced Performance
Rebooted and ran geekbench again.

Geekbench numbers were then the following: 25,991

Hope this info helps.

Will you be making a guide for Mojave when it's out and stable?
If I update my build for Mojave, I'll be happy to update the guide.

However, I don't plan on updating my machine to Mojave anytime soon. I typically wait until a .1 release (not .01) of any OS before updating, and with a Hackintosh, that might be even longer just to play it safe.

Looks like you have built the new modular Mac Pro before apple could do it :)

Will you be making a guide for Mojave when it's out and stable?
I did a test, I just cloned my current stoned Sierra to an empty ssd and just upgraded it to Mojave.
Nothing special , anything works except some Safari extensions due to deprecation

HA! I love it. And so true. This thing is a beast.

Yes, the HaSMP (HackaShaq Mac Pro) is certainly as good as a $5,000 iMac Pro. I don't think it will match the horsepower of a new 2019 MP. That will have mega core Xeon chips and workstation class graphics. We'll have to wait and see.... With Apple Pro products these days it's always "wait just a few more years till we can get this to market." While Pro users need something to get their work done right now.

Last edited:
@HackaShaq

Great guide, really !

I'm gearing up myself for a very similar (first time hackintosh ever) build. I'm still waiting for all the components to arrive, but this is what's scheduled :

CPU: 8086x
MB : Aorus gaming 7
GPU : Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Pulse
RAM : Tridentz 3200 Ghz 14CL
COOLING : Noctua NH-D15
PSU : Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold
CASE : NZXT H700i
SSD : 960 pro 1. To

I'm still undecided concerning my boot SSD. I'd like a ultra-fast M.2 250 GB boot drive, then a "slower" M.2 for storage. The 960 pro is too powerful for mere storage, but there's not 250 GB pro edition and I would like something better than EVO. Any suggestions ? Would an optane drive be overkill (it's overpriced for sure). I'm tempted to wait for the Patriot Viper M.2 to come out with very promising write speeds. Any other suggestions ?

Otherwise, did you delid the cpu for OC ?

Any suggestions for wifi/BT ? I'd like to avoid PCIe cards with antennas sticking out of the case for esthetic reasons. Maybe a combo wifi/BT usb ?

Back