Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Gotcha. Makes sense to do as much research as possible.

Just for reference, I only have one m2 drive (macOS High Sierra) in the middle slot, and Windows 10 off a SATA SSD. An additional m2 drive will block a lane shared by SATA ports, and these are covered in Page 33 of the Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 Manual. If you don't have more than 4-5 SATA drives needed on top of the two m2 drives, then you're good.

Also, one thing I've found in my setup is related to audio and MacOS and Windows. Well, I have my speakers connected via the line out I highlighted in my manual. For Windows, it uses a different line out port. So rather than unplugging the speakers each time I boot up into the other OS, I'm going to get a "Y" splitter cable and test it out. It's on order, and I'l update the manual as needed for those who create a dual-boot system of Mac and Windows.

I believe then that it has to do something with SMBIOS that i use (iMac 18.3) because the setup proccess is similar to yours, except that i have create an ssdt file for the usb ports. I have follow RehabMad guide for the preparation of ports finding and create the file. -> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

8700K is @ 5Ghz like yours, so i believe is SMBIOS that make this difference in Geekbench score.

When you have free time, try it if you want :)

I believe then that it has to do something with SMBIOS that i use (iMac 18.3) because the setup proccess is similar to yours, except that i have create an ssdt file for the usb ports. I have follow RehabMad guide for the preparation of ports finding and create the file. -> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

8700K is @ 5Ghz like yours, so i believe is SMBIOS that make this difference in Geekbench score.

I have to be honest, I've read that link in the past, and didn't understand the process at all. I'm sure it works great, but I didn't follow along at all with that process outlined in the post, and that's not a reflection on the poster, it's just a reflection on how my brain works. I had to pull a Josh Baskin from the movie Big and just state, "I don't get it." :)

That's why I went with the process I outlined in this build. I'm definitely down to try it out if I ever have time down the road.

Just curious, did you run geekbench numbers/scores before you did the overclock? If so, what were the numbers. Just curious as this would tell me info about the baseline and overclock using iMac 18,3.

I have to be honest, I've read that link in the past, and didn't understand the process at all. I'm sure it works great, but I didn't follow along at all with that process outlined in the post, and that's not a reflection on the poster, it's just a reflection on how my brain works. I had to pull a Josh Baskin from the movie Big and just state, "I don't get it." :)

That's why I went with the process I outlined in this build. I'm definitely down to try it out if I ever have time down the road.

Just curious, did you run geekbench numbers/scores before you did the overclock? If so, what were the numbers. Just curious as this would tell me info about the baseline and overclock using iMac 18,3.

Just a moment to revert the cpu back to stock and report the score of geekbench.

Here is the scores with everything to stock. Only XMP Profile is enabled for the memory @ 3000MHZ.

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 19.55.48.png

And here with overclock @ 5Ghz, LLC to Turbo and 1.31Volts.

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 20.04.47.png

I have the same hardware and SMBIOS as you, runs great! Would you mind posting your SSDT file you created for the USB ports? Thank you :)

@Superboss123 iMessage doesn't have anything to do with hardware, read the guide here from @P1LGRIM and follow it to a tee and iMessage will work.

I have the same hardware and SMBIOS as you, runs great! Would you mind posting your SSDT file you created for the USB ports? Thank you :)

Is enabled all the back ports and two of the case which is in the front. I have a Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass.

Attachments

• SSDT-USB.aml
    621 bytes · Views: 143
This is a great setup, but I have been having enormous difficulty with this build (it's my 4th hack build since 2011 so not completely new). On the initial install, the GPU (RX850) was creating issues getting through the full install. I managed to get around that with the internal graphics and reconnected the monitor there after. For some reason now when I point my BIOS to the PCIE1 slot where I have the GPU/Monitor, I don't get the initial splash screens and bootloader...but after a long boot, the OS loads up and the screen appears.

Right now I'm trying to fix a long (5 minute?) boot. It get's stuck here on the AppleUSBHostResources....any else seeing this or have any suggestions?
2018-07-03 22.44.28.jpg

Reading up above it looked like there were some issues with others getting both ethernet ports to work. Only the bottom (intel) port worked using the original build suggestions for MultiBeast, but I later added the AtherosE2200Ethernet v2.2.2 kext out of MultiBeast which did the trick for me there.

Last edited:
Back