Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Can anyone with this setup help me get to the installer? I've tried about everything but it keeps rebooting half way through the apple logo. I've tried running it with integrated graphics but that didn't help either.

I removed the optane 32gb from motherboard and now it works.. been working 2 days on this ;(

Attachments

• IMG_20180626_224828.jpg
    IMG_20180626_224828.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20180626_224827.jpg
    IMG_20180626_224827.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
What a great guide HackaShaq!

After looking through it I decided it would be a great project to duplicate. I've previously used GA-Z170N motherboards for a "CustoMac Mini" and "CustoMac Pro" so I have some experience with Hackintoshes. Still lots to learn.

I used your parts list except I didn't install a Firewire card, but added a TP-Link AC1900 WiFi card. Since I wanted to dual boot to Windows 10 I added a second 960 EVO 500GB NVME M.2 SSD. I also added a HGST DeskStar 4TB HDD, and a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD.

Following through your guide step-by-step got macOS High Sierra running with just a couple hiccups -- getting sound through HDMI to my monitor's speakers, and to the sound outputs. Redoing your instructions for sound, and answers on the forum overcame these hiccups.

The Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler was a real handful to install -- even using the YouTube guide! It's doing the job keeping the CPU cool.

Installing Windows 10 on the second 960 EVO was challenging. The installer kept refusing to install on the desired SSD. Eventually I found that the Win10 installer only worked if the 960 EVO for the Win10 install was the only drive available. I found some good instructions on this forum with the solution. I now have a macOS and Win10 dual-boot system.

I really like the looks and construction of the Phanteks Enthoo Evolve case. I haven't seen any cooling problems. I still have to figure out the PWM Hub cooling fan instructions as the three case fans run, but don't show up in the BIOS.

Still a little more tweaking, and trying some over-clocking, before I consider the project complete.

Thanks again HackaShaq for this great guide.

Hi @HackaShaq! Do you have any issues with Samsung 960 EVO? What version of firmware does it have? I have built High Sierra hackintosh (by Installation Guide) with that drive and there are several issues:
1. In most cases (sometimes not) I have kernel panic on boot with only 960 EVO drive:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f92b9d116): nvme: "Fatal error occurred. CSTS=0xffffffff
. FW Revision=3B7QCXE7\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-356.60.4/IONVMeController.cpp:5275
I have to attach another HDD drive and then system is booted successfully.
2. Randomly the system hangs for a few seconds and restarts. Then in most cases the system is entered in BIOS because it can't find 960 EVO. You need to power off to boot successfully. (Some Windows users have similar problems: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...oard-id/memoryandstorage/thread-id/617/page/1)

@NCMacGuy

Pics? Eye candy is always good. :)

As requested, here are some pics of the finished build:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    302 KB · Views: 134
  • image.png
    image.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image.png
    image.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 131
  • image.png
    image.png
    315.8 KB · Views: 127
  • image.png
    image.png
    308 KB · Views: 108
  • image.png
    image.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 111
Looks classy!

Hello @HackaShaq

thanks for this guide. I am planning to build the same machine following your guide.
Just wanted to ask you, are you using 1 or 2 graphic cards?

Thanks.

Hi @HackaShaq! Do you have any issues with Samsung 960 EVO? What version of firmware does it have? I have built High Sierra hackintosh (by Installation Guide) with that drive and there are several issues:
1. In most cases (sometimes not) I have kernel panic on boot with only 960 EVO drive:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f92b9d116): nvme: "Fatal error occurred. CSTS=0xffffffff
. FW Revision=3B7QCXE7\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-356.60.4/IONVMeController.cpp:5275
I have to attach another HDD drive and then system is booted successfully.
2. Randomly the system hangs for a few seconds and restarts. Then in most cases the system is entered in BIOS because it can't find 960 EVO. You need to power off to boot successfully. (Some Windows users have similar problems: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...oard-id/memoryandstorage/thread-id/617/page/1)

I have two Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSDs installed in my recently completed build using @HackaShaq build instructions. So far no problems with the EVO 960s.

The firmware is 3B7QCXE7 for both of my SSDs.

Hello @HackaShaq

thanks for this guide. I am planning to build the same machine following your guide.
Just wanted to ask you, are you using 1 or 2 graphic cards?

Thanks.

Just one graphics card (Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB Graphics Card) that is powering two 4k Displays @ 60Hz, both via DisplayPort.

I have two Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSDs installed in my recently completed build using @HackaShaq build instructions. So far no problems with the EVO 960s.

The firmware is 3B7QCXE7 for both of my SSDs.
That's great info! Good to know as a data point in case I wanted to add another M.2 SSD to my build.
(I'd have to check which SATA lanes would be KO'd.)

Thanks for that info!

Back