Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Fantastic price!
I honestly can't say enough positive things about this case. It's a fantastic case in a beautiful design.

I should also point out that I did a bunch of research when I was putting together the parts for my build, and I spent a lot of time on which case to get. I couldn't be happier, and I found an absolutely fantastic video on YouTube that showed exactly how to install components for this case. I would have loved to include all YouTube videos in my build thread, but the forum only allows one video per build.

However, if anyone is on the fence about this case, this video is a perfect step-by-step showing the ins and outs of this case, and how to install each component:

There's even a part 2 to this video for those who want to install a liquid cooled options.

This video helped me absolutely confirm that this was the case for me, and since this was my first ever ground-up Hackintosh build, I really needed the guidance to see the inside of the case and get as many tips as possible. Hopefully video can also help others who select this case for their build.

Lastly, I swear I don't work for Phanteks! Even though I sound like a shill, my comments are completely genuine. I just love this case. :D

Ha! This kind of enthusiasm is part of the reason we all like building our own Hackintoshes - we get to choose what the case looks like and what goes in it :thumbup:

I've been building Hackintoshes since I finally made the full-time move over from real Macs. I've kept a Mac Mini for nostalgia sake, but rarely use it. Since a big case - well bigger than current Apple cases - is going to get noticed, it makes sense to build using one you are going to be happy to let others see too!

:)

HackaShaq-

First off, I really want to thank you for posting this! Very well explained, illustrated, and easy to follow. I'm gearing up for a new build this week, and the component list that I've picked out almost exactly matches yours.
I had a question for you. This is my second Hackintosh build - my first was way back in 2011, and that machine lasted all the way up until last week, when it finally flamed out as I tried to upgrade from El Capitan to High Sierra. This time around, I'm trying to learn and educate myself more deeply on the process, so I'm better off troubleshooting my own build down the line during future upgrades.
With that in mind, I can follow along and understand the concept, if not every detail, of most of the steps of your build. The sections that I don't follow, are steps number six and seven. I understand the basic idea of getting the USB and audio working correctly, of course, but you lost me when you began copy and pasting those strings of numerical values. How did you know to do that? What were you looking for there, how did you know it was a problem, and how did you know that those new values would resolve the problem?
Again, thanks for taking the time to create this post! It's very much appreciated!

Seasonic SCMD
This looks like an excellent idea for cleaning up cable clutter in any ATX build. Would be especially handy if you get the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case with two glass side panels. Looks like Seasonic will work with Phanteks on this project. Will really help simplify cable mgt. for newbies or anyone that doesn't want to spend a lot of time on it. Gives a build that "Pro" look even if you're not a pro PC builder. No nylon zip ties needed to tie down cables is what appeals to me.

https://techreport.com/news/33782/seasonic-scmd-puts-the-kibosh-on-cable-spaghetti

scmd.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got my pc up and running but am having issues with my Alpine Ridge TB card showing up. It's in the lowest PCIE Lane on my mobo, I've reseated it, and unplugged/plugged it back into the the TB header on my mobo, and it's still not showing up. I've installed the latest drivers in Windows, and I am not getting an option in my BIOS as according to what I've read when it's working.

HackaShaq-

First off, I really want to thank you for posting this! Very well explained, illustrated, and easy to follow. I'm gearing up for a new build this week, and the component list that I've picked out almost exactly matches yours.
I had a question for you. This is my second Hackintosh build - my first was way back in 2011, and that machine lasted all the way up until last week, when it finally flamed out as I tried to upgrade from El Capitan to High Sierra. This time around, I'm trying to learn and educate myself more deeply on the process, so I'm better off troubleshooting my own build down the line during future upgrades.
With that in mind, I can follow along and understand the concept, if not every detail, of most of the steps of your build. The sections that I don't follow, are steps number six and seven. I understand the basic idea of getting the USB and audio working correctly, of course, but you lost me when you began copy and pasting those strings of numerical values. How did you know to do that? What were you looking for there, how did you know it was a problem, and how did you know that those new values would resolve the problem?
Again, thanks for taking the time to create this post! It's very much appreciated!
Hey, thanks for the kind words and I hope the write up and illustrations/photos help.

In regards to Steps #6 (USB Configuration) and Step #7 (Audio Configuration), the steps show exactly what was needed to get this build working.

As for how I knew exactly what parameters to put in each box, that truly rests with people who are far more intelligent than I am who originally figured out these steps and the exact info to update each kext with. I just googled all parts of my build and did research. Those settings for USB and Audio are based on the exact motherboard used in this build. Thus, by googling search parameters like "Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 hackintosh USB fix" or "Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 hackintosh audio fix" and so on, I was able to find the correct settings in Clover to get USB and Audio working.

For example, the process to get the audio working on a hackintosh, will have has different parameters needed to be entered based on the exact audio chipset of the motherboard. The gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 uses the ALC1220 audio chipset, and this, the magic number for my motherboard was 11, and is reflected in step 7. A different audio chipset requires a different number here, and there was a chart somewhere on google that I saw that reflected the exact number to use with each audio chipset. Mine was 11, so that's all I really needed to know and that's all that is needed for this exact build.

Hope that info helps.

I finally got my pc up and running but am having issues with my Alpine Ridge TB card showing up. It's in the lowest PCIE Lane on my mobo, I've reseated it, and unplugged/plugged it back into the the TB header on my mobo, and it's still not showing up. I've installed the latest drivers in Windows, and I am not getting an option in my BIOS as according to what I've read when it's working.

Hey there,

I'm getting the same mobo and TH3 card.
I may be way off, but I think I read a post on TM here somewhere that you need to enable Thunderbolt either in the BIOS, App center and/or in Windows 10 itself -before the card is installed- and disable "safe boot" in that Thunderbolt setup. Something like that. I don't have the link handy. Anybody, LMK if this is wrong. It sounds back-arsewards, but then...
I looked through some YouTube videos, but w/o luck. I onw't be able to see this stuff until the rest of my kit arrives. Hope this helps some...

I love Phanteks, but you guys need to understand that they have terrible airflow in general.

The top lid slits are super tiny and front has bad airflow since only the front corners have ports for intake.

I take ambient noise/cooling very seriously and this is one of the worst case makers out there for that.

Their built quality is fantastic, however, and it's beautiful in person and the closest thing to a Cheesegrater Mac Pro, but keep that in mind.

If you plan to put any higher end CPUs or GPUs in this case, prepare to be super tight with airflow. And if you are going to ever overclock, you will have airflow issues since Intel runs pretty hot.

Just a heads up.

Generally some case manufacturers take looks over airflow. I used to have this case but had major issues with Airflow and tried to get the top lid modded with a laser cutout, but failed twice because it didn't look good. I moved on to a Meshify C and it's been excellent in terms of airflow.

Good guide, otherwise. :thumbup:

Thanks for your excellent guide.

I followed your tip for the Dual Boot Audio issue and bought that
Monoprice 6inch 3.5mm Stereo Jack/Two 3.5mm Stereo Plug Cable.
When I plug it in to the suggested outputs the volume level in OSX
is severely diminished to the point of being unusable. As soon I remove
one leg of the Y cable from the "Blue" windows 10 output all is fine in OSX.
Am I doing something wrong or is that how it is.

Thanks in Advance.

Back