Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Thanks for your excellent guide.

I followed your tip for the Dual Boot Audio issue and bought that
Monoprice 6inch 3.5mm Stereo Jack/Two 3.5mm Stereo Plug Cable.
When I plug it in to the suggested outputs the volume level in OSX
is severely diminished to the point of being unusable. As soon I remove
one leg of the Y cable from the "Blue" windows 10 output all is fine in OSX.
Am I doing something wrong or is that how it is.

Thanks in Advance.
Are you sure you just don't have the plug plugged in all the way, or maybe you need to raise the output audio in System Preferences > Sound?

Lastly, when you boot to windows 10, is the audio fine in Windows? (i.e. both male ends of the cable are plugged in to both the Mac and Windows port)

If the audio is passing through fine for Windows 10, switch the "Y" male inputs and test the cable. If Windows 10 audio was fine, and then when you switch the male inputs it reduces the audio levels in Windows, then you have a faulty cable.

The "Y" is passing audio though, and since it's a dual-boot setup, there's never audio going for Mac and Windows at the same time, so there should be no level change or audio issues. If you had an audio "hum" I would suggest a ground-loop isolator, but what you're describing isn't noise, it's low level audio. This is a straightforward cable so I would triple check the connection and Mac settings.

I am curious about your headphone jack listing...

I have a sort of similar setup, [os 10.13.5] GAZ370XP SLI with i5-8400 cpu, using iMac 18,2 specifier. This uses the very same ALC1220 codec and I have it set up the same as you do, audio ID=11 with Lilu and AppleALC kexts sitting in the Kexts/Other folder. (I do have Toleda's AMD file for audio over the DP and HDMI ports though).

What has me curious is when I do not plug anything into the case front audio (headphone) jack, the sound preferences lists the output as you have it, i.e.:
Before.jpg

but after I plug in actual headphones the following is displayed:
After.jpg .

You mention wishing that headphones was actually displayed, you may be close to getting that. Note: the headphones are nothing special, just some budget Sony set.

I am curious about your headphone jack listing...

I have a sort of similar setup, [os 10.13.5] GAZ370XP SLI with i5-8400 cpu, using iMac 18,2 specifier. This uses the very same ALC1220 codec and I have it set up the same as you do, audio ID=11 with Lilu and AppleALC kexts sitting in the Kexts/Other folder. (I do have Toleda's AMD file for audio over the DP and HDMI ports though).

What has me curious is when I do not plug anything into the case front audio (headphone) jack, the sound preferences lists the output as you have it, i.e.:
View attachment 336116

but after I plug in actual headphones the following is displayed:
View attachment 336117 .

You mention wishing that headphones was actually displayed, you may be close to getting that. Note: the headphones are nothing special, just some budget Sony set.
I have some interesting info to share, but I didn't want to confuse people in my guide. Basically, my guide has the audio setup for an ideal Mac setup, or the best of both worlds for an alternate dual-boot Mac/Windows setup. I have the audio setup this way:

RED: Mac stereo audio line out.
GREEN: Mac headphone audio line out (via the back port)
BLUE: Windows stereo audio line out.

(Optional) Front headphone jack on the Mac can be used if I select "Internal Speakers".

It doesn't auto change to "Headphones" on the Mac audio selector like you're describing when I insert headphones into the front headphone jack.

BUT....

On my system, only when you plug something into the blue port in the back from the diagram above, that does change "Internal Speakers" to "Headphones", even though it's not going through the front headphone input.

Since I created a dual-boot setup, I permanently have that "Y" audio plug connected into the blue port above, so I never see the "Internal Speakers" option anymore. Thus, technically, that means I can also never use the front headphone jack while the "Y" adapter is connected. I personally don't mind since I actually prefer using the rear green port in the back for headphones.

Since this situation would only apply to people who have a dual boot system, and only for those who use the "Y" cable in the blue port, and only for those who want to use the front headphone jack only and the blue port above at the same time, I didn't list that because it was simply too confusing to list all that in the guide. I just simplified everything to provide the color-coded option for those who want a dual-boot system, and headphones. If someone doesn't have Windows installed, it's a moot point and they can just use the green port in the back for headphones, or the front for headphones, but they too will never see "Headphones" with that setup. They'll only see "Internal Speakers".

Whew. That was a mouthful. Hope that made sense! :)

I'm going to order a i7-8700, I can get one for $269, I already have a Z370 Tomahawk from MSI that I will use and a Gigabyte RX480 4GB Video Card. I'm going to use your guidance this weekend. I'm excited :)

I'm going to order a i7-8700, I can get one for $269, I already have a Z370 Tomahawk from MSI that I will use and a Gigabyte RX480 4GB Video Card. I'm going to use your guidance this weekend. I'm excited :)
Check back in when you have your build working and let us all know if things worked for you. Cheers.

Heya just followed your build basically to a T.
I was wondering do you also have the issue that only the Intel Ethernet Port (the lower one) works and the Killer Ethernet Port doesnt?

Back