Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Ok, I have now:
  1. Fixed my Aquantia Aqtion 10GBe (ASUS XG-C100C) not working problem in Mojave. I found the solution on another website, but not sure if I'm allowed to link to it, so here is the fix to have in your KextsToPatch in Config.plist:
    KextsToPatch.png
  2. Also found that I don't need to have the com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI (PMHeart USB Patch) patch (still have to completely confirm, but USB seems to be working Okay ATM.
  3. Also found that I also don't need the com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (Unsupported_Audio_Device_ID_Kaby_Lake) audio patches. Audio is working fine.
  4. I have cloned my Mojave SSD back to my HFS+ Nvme SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner and it is now running fine (famous last words). So I'm not using APFS. APFS seemed a little faster than on High Sierra, but it was like that initially with my virgin install of HS, then it gradually slowed down in booting. Mojave using HFS+ takes around 11 seconds to boot. I also have Paragon HFS+ on my Windows partition so it's nice to be able to read/write to macOS if something goes wrong.
Jim

Hi @jiffyslot. I thought I'd upset you, since I had not heard back from you. Hope all's well?:)

OK, I'm using Clover Configurator version 5.2.0.1 available from here, with my High Sierra 10.13.6 and now my Mojave 10.14 (18A391) installation which I'm trialing ATM on a seperate SSD.

If I iron out the problem I'm having getting my 10GB ethernet going, I'll overwrite my High Sierra installation using Carbon Copy. CC does not change the file system on the destination disk, so It will keep the HFS+ format.

Earlier today I updated my Clover Configurator version from r4630 to r4674 using Clover Configurator in High Sierra. As per my previous posts, HS would then boot into a black screen. I found the answer to this problem in this post by @Tom012 here. I had to add the missing files that he mentions into the drivers64UEFI folder. See my file directory pic. Then all was well and HS booted fine. Then I CC it to a spare SSD, ran the Mojave install file that I had downloaded in HS earlier, and after 3 boots and roughly 25 minutes, the spare disk is now running Mojave!

Edit: Nearly forgot! The version of Clover that's on my High Sierra Install USB Disk is r4428 if that is of interest to you. Hit the 'a' key at the Clover boot menu to get the revision number of Clover.

View attachment 352518

View attachment 352521

Hope this helps.

Ha ha! No, no not upset, just living in a city that nearly the antipode to where you are. I'm CCC-ing another system SSD for migration. I think I'll have to use a larger spinner because I'll need close to 500GB. Hopefully, the install on a spare Fusion drive will reject APFS and allow a successful HFS+ format. Do we need to be concerned over the different versions of Clover between the r4428 Unibeast install tool and the r4630 baked into Multibeast 10.4 and whatever version of Clover Configurator? I'd gladly drag matching revisions into the packages, but I think it would have to be recompiled or the installer will throw a rod. :think: -But if it works, it works. All I want is a machine that is functionally on-par with my white whales (2012 6,2 i7 2.6GHz Mini) but with the kick in the pants from that 8700K and the RX-580, and 64GB RAM. I'm really glad that people are getting some help here, definitely grateful to the kext-builders and to the people developing these great tools. I'll try to build it out tomorrow night because I need to B♯.

Ha ha! No, no not upset, just living in a city that nearly the antipode to where you are. I'm CCC-ing another system SSD for migration. I think I'll have to use a larger spinner because I'll need close to 500GB. Hopefully, the install on a spare Fusion drive will reject APFS and allow a successful HFS+ format. Do we need to be concerned over the different versions of Clover between the r4428 Unibeast install tool and the r4630 baked into Multibeast 10.4 and whatever version of Clover Configurator? I'd gladly drag matching revisions into the packages, but I think it would have to be recompiled or the installer will throw a rod. :think: -But if it works, it works. All I want is a machine that is functionally on-par with my white whales (2012 6,2 i7 2.6GHz Mini) but with the kick in the pants from that 8700K and the RX-580, and 64GB RAM. I'm really glad that people are getting some help here, definitely grateful to the kext-builders and to the people developing these great tools. I'll try to build it out tomorrow night because I need to B♯.

You must be an early riser... I calc that it's around 3:45am in your location! Yes Melbourne is a lot different to where I think you are. I've only been to the West coast of USA once in 1986 on my return leg back from Connecticut.

Re the Clover versions... if you are just getting up High Sierra, then r4630 should be good to go, after all it's what most people used (I think?). Don't forget to check to see if you have the files I showed a couple of posts ago in your SSD if you go for the later Clover revision file (r4674).

I also found out today, even though it's been a feature of Clover Configurator for a while (I'm slow sometimes to pickup on these things), is that Clover Configurator has the ability to Download & Install the EFI drivers in the /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI directory. All you need to do after using the Install/Update Clover to the latest release is then to go to the item below it called 'Install Drivers' and you will see all of the options. Just open up /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI in Finder and confirm you have the files as previously mentioned in my post.

Hopefully you will be up and running soon.

Jim

Anyone update directly from High Sierra to Mojave?
Yes I did. I cloned HS updated it to Mojave’s and CC it back in my HFS+ SSD. See posts a few back.

Yes I did. I cloned HS updated it to Mojave’s and CC it back in my HFS+ SSD. See posts a few back.
Jim, i'll try the Weekend to update from the App Store like a real Mac and i'll post the results.

I've succesfully updated from mac app store without changing a thing. I do have the latest clover tho but didn't update any kexts or anything from this build. I just have no sound anymore from my external speakers.

EDIT : updated lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext .. sound is working now.

Last edited:
I have been experimenting (playing) since updating to Mojave from High Sierra and have noted the following:

Sleep & Hibernation
  • Sleep as always works as I created my USB SSDT, but also I can hibernate the computer. In fact all three Apple modes of sleep work i.e 0, 3 & 25. See this article and this article for all the various details. If you wan't to do the two hibernation modes as outlined in the article, then you will need to use the HibernationFixup kext as outlined by @jaymonkey in this post, put it in your /Library/Extensions directory and then update your kext cache. Downside to this is macOS only provides the 'Sleep' menu function, as the 3 different modes have to be set in the terminal or via a script, app etc. But if you set the system to one of the hibernation modes beforehand, then selecting 'Sleep' will honour this setting. If anyone knows of an app that can allow you to select these modes, let us know...
    I have not tested 'Power Nap' (found in the 'Energy Saver' settings in System Preferences) and I'm not sure if it will work... maybe later time permitting.
    I have tested all three modes overnight with no problems!
    Of course we have a desktop, not a Laptop so as to the usefulness of these two hibernation modes are maybe of no use to us desktop users, but I will put my power meter on the computer and measure the difference between all three modes to see if there is any difference.
    I like the hibernation mode 3, as it restores the RAM contents back from your SSD, allowing apps to continue on from where it left off. Downside to the two hibernation modes is they create a 'sleepimage' file (17GB in my case) in the following directory /var/vm. You can delete this file with no harm as hibernation will re-create it if needed.
  • Related to sleep and the system not turning off the Gigabyte RGB Mobo LED's, is I have found that I now longer have to use 'Darkwake=8' in my config.plist, I've reset it back to 'Darkwake=0' and removed the 'ERP' enabled setting in the BIOS. I'm not 100% sure if this is a fix in Mojave or as a result of me using the Drop 'DMAR' setting in config.plist which manages my power setting better... would be good if anyone could test. I'll attach my config.plist for perusal.
USB
  • To get your USB 3 ports working the patch is now different as per this post. See my config.plist where I have both the 10.13.x & 10.14.x patches in place. I've also attached my SSDT-UIAC.dsl that you will have to compile and save it to a AML file using the MaciASL utility. I have updated the included readme for these patches in the comments section of this file. You will/may have to modify this for your needs. I have marked a few ports as in-built (255) as I have a few devices like my Bluetooth and all of my Corsair devices that are permanently installed. Not marking them as in-built makes my computer not sleep.
Audio
  • I have found for some reason, I no longer need the com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI patch. Audio is working fine without it. I have left it in my config.plist, but since it's matching on the 10.13.x it is not being applied. I have verified this by looking at my boot.log generated by hitting F2 from the Clover Menu on startup. Can anyone elaborate, or verify this on their system?
This system is just fantastic, the smoothest most painless build I've had so far since 2011, thanks to @Hackalot and all of the others on this forum (and some others forums).

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.1 KB · Views: 189
  • SSDT-UIAC.dsl
    10.9 KB · Views: 105
Back