Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I have just finished a 10.13.6 install with a Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 build(i7-8700k, RX-560, 16gb Vengeance RAM, Samsung 1Tb NVMe, F7 bios, Clover 4458), and it was not an easy build, despite the clarity and detail that HackaShaq provided. I have fixed all of the problems so far, the ones relating to audio, the Atheros LAN port and others, but one problem still remains unsolved with the USB 3.1 ports, a problem that jiffyslot referred to in post #374.

USB SSDs won’t mount on the desktop. Same holds true for my Vantec external hard drive case that comes with a USB 3.0 connection and contains a conventional 1 Tb 3.5” hard drive. Other older Vantek hard drive enclosures with USB 2 connections mount and work fine. All drives and USB hardware work fine when connected to the USB 2.0 port headers on the motherboard. But none of these external drives mount and work in any of the yellow or the blue USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, but they do mount when connected to the single red USB 3.1 port, the one that is described by Gigabyte as a Gen 2, Type A port. In addition, curiously enough, when I remove the SSD from the buss powered USB 3 external enclosure and substitute a conventional 2.5” hard drive, that hard drive does mount correctly. And if I leave both enclosures(3.5” and 2.5”) connected while restarting the computer, they do turn up in the Clover boot panel that comes up after the Z370 Aorus posts. So at least at this point these drives are being recognized by Clover. But they still do not appear on the desktop.

I have tried different versions of the USBInjectAll.kext(0.6.3-0.6.6) and the latest versions of FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux kexts in Library/Extensions, all to no avail. I also compared jb007’s config.plist(post #399) with mine and added a couple of ACPI patches that seemed relevant that my config did not contain, but this didn’t help either. I have not tried any SSDTs that treat USB configurations, for I don’t have any to try. I figured that if HackaShaq didn’t need one to create his ‘perfect build,’ then I didn’t need to go down that road either. But if anyone has such a SSDT that would fix or possibly treat this problem, it would be great if it could be posted here in this thread.

Any ideas on what is going on here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by me and I bet jiffyslot too - thanks!

Last edited:
I have just finished a 10.13.6 install with a Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 build(i7-8700k, RX-560, 16gb Vengeance RAM, Samsung 1Tb NVMe, F7 bios, Clover 4458), and it was not an easy build, despite the clarity and detail that HackaShaq provided. I have fixed all of the problems so far, the ones relating to audio, the Atheros LAN port and others, but one problem still remains unsolved with the USB 3.1 ports, a problem that jiffyslot referred to in post #374.

USB SSDs won’t mount on the desktop. Same holds true for my Vantec external hard drive case that comes with a USB 3.0 connection and contains a conventional 1 Tb 3.5” hard drive. Other older Vantek hard drive enclosures with USB 2 connections mount and work fine. All drives and USB hardware work fine when connected to the USB 2.0 port headers on the motherboard. But none of these external drives mount and work in any of the yellow or the blue USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, but they do mount when connected to the single red USB 3.1 port, the one that is described by Gigabyte as a Gen 2, Type A port. In addition, curiously enough, when I remove the SSD from the buss powered USB 3 external enclosure and substitute a conventional 2.5” hard drive, that hard drive does mount correctly. And if I leave both enclosures(3.5” and 2.5”) connected while restarting the computer, they do turn up in the Clover boot panel that comes up after the Z370 Aorus posts. So at least at this point these drives are being recognized by Clover. But they still do not appear on the desktop.

I have tried different versions of the USBInjectAll.kext(0.6.3-0.6.6) and the latest versions of FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux kexts in Library/Extensions, all to no avail. I also compared jb007’s config.plist(post #399) with mine and added a couple of ACPI patches that seemed relevant that my config did not contain, but this didn’t help either. I have not tried any SSDTs that treat USB configurations, for I don’t have any to try. I figured that if HackaShaq didn’t need one to create his ‘perfect build,’ then I didn’t need to go down that road either. But if anyone has such a SSDT that would fix or possibly treat this problem, it would be great if it could be posted here in this thread.

Any ideas on what is going on here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by me and I bet jiffyslot too - thanks!

Hi @borbo120, I have created a SSDT for my USB ports which you are welcome to try. I'm using all my external USB ports and all my internal ports (using them for my multiple Corsair devices... ).

All of the USB ports on this Mobo are USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Mbit/sec) which are backwards compatible to USB 2. The exception to this is the USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports (see below) which are 10Mbit/sec and controlled by the two ASMedia Technology controller chipsets.

Your USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports work because they are not being controlled by the Intel USB controllers, but by the 2 x ASMedia controllers. The second USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Mbit/sec) controller needs a extra cable that is not included with the Mobo, to bring this port out to the back of the case... I have purchased this cable, so I have two of these ports.

I cannot test for your issue on my system ATM, as I have my only three SATA SSD'd connected to my PC along with my two NVMe drives.

I've included my SSDT-UIAC.aml, which you can use or modify it create your own SSDT-UIAC.dsl by saving the aml file as a "ACPI Machine Language Binary" File Format file (dsl), using the MaciASL application. I've commented all of my ports in the aml file as to what I have connected to them. Also I've attached my config.plist minus my serial numbers etc.

Have a read of Rehabman document

How I installed:
  • Place the SSDT-UIAC.dsl file in your /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • In your Kernel and Kext Patches - KextsToPatch section in config.plist, disable all USB port patches except for the 'USB Raise Port Limit' Patch by PMheart is needed to enable all 26 ports. See my post #462
  • Place USBInjectAll.kext in your /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other ( I have version 0.6.5)
  • Place XHCI-200-series-injector.kext in /Library/Extensions (Our Mobo uses the Intel 8086:A2AF 200-series chipset XHC controller, not the 300 series)
  • From a terminal run:
    Code:
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
    and fix any error eg permission problems otherwise you will have problems!
I only have these kexts in my Other folder:
Code:
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
├── AppleALC.kext (v1.2.7)
├── FakeSMC.kext (v6.26-344-g1cf53906.1787)
├── Lilu.kext (v1.2.5)
└── USBInjectAll.kext (v0.6.5)

I only have these kexts in my /Library/Extensions folder:
Code:
/Library/Extensions/
├── ACS6x.kext
├── ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
├── ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext
├── ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
├── ArcMSR.kext
├── AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
├── CalDigitHDProDrv.kext
├── EnergyDriver.kext
├── FakeSMC.kext
├── FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
├── FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
├── FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
├── FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
├── HighPointIOP.kext
├── HighPointRR.kext
├── IntelMausiEthernet.kext
├── PromiseSTEX.kext
├── SoftRAID.kext
├── XHCI-200-series-injector.kext
└── org.pqrs.driver.Karabiner.VirtualHIDDevice.v060800.kext

Note: I don't have FakePCIID and/or FakePCIID_XHCIMux installed on my system.

I'm not an expert on the USB side of things, but this is working for me. Let us know how you go.

Edit:
1. Updated to include the 'USB Raise Port Limit Patch' by PMheart. It's needed to enable all 26 USB ports. See my post #462
2. FakePCIID_XHCIMux is only needed on series 7,8 & 9 Intel chipsets, so it won't do anything on this Mobo.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC.aml
    738 bytes · Views: 183
  • SSDT-UIAC.dsl
    3.7 KB · Views: 171
  • config.plist
    7.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Hi HackaShaq, did you use/build your final bootup disk using UEFI Boot Mode with Native NVRAM or Emulated NVRAM?

Hi @jiffyslot, while waiting for @HackaShaq to reply, my take is that you have to use Emulated NVRAM as this Mobo does not have NVRAM.

To test the emulated NVRAM:
Code:
In a terminal, set a persistent variable entry in memory:
nvram TEST_VAR=DELETE_ME
Restart system.
In a terminal look for the persistent variable entry previously set in memory:
nvram -p | grep TEST_VAR
Delete the persistent variable entry from memory using the terminal:
nvram -d TEST_VAR

If you don't use Emulated NVRAM, you will not see the variable (TEST_VAR) after rebooting, as there is no non-volatile RAM to store the variable.

If you are using Emulated NVRAM, you should see a the variable and also have a nvram.plist file in the /EFI folder.

Jim

@borbo120

Did you use the latest "USB 10.13.6+ by PMHeart" patch for 10.13.6.?

@jb007

Thank you for sharing your SSDT. I will try it out as well once I am back from vacation.

@borbo120

Did you use the latest "USB 10.13.6+ by PMHeart" patch for 10.13.6.?

@jb007

Thank you for sharing your SSDT. I will try it out as well once I am back from vacation.

No, I ultimately did not use any patches, when you get back, have a look at my config.plist and also my bullet point 2 "disable all USB port patches". I might have it all wrong, but it is working fine for me. ;):rolleyes:

I'll try and see if I can emulate the problem with a SSD attached via a USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Old USB 3!) @borbo120.

Enjoy your vacation!

No, I ultimately did not use any patches, when you get back, have a look at my config.plist and also my bullet point 2 "disable all USB port patches". I might have it all wrong, but it is working fine for me. ;):rolleyes:

I'll try and see if I can emulate the problem with a SSD attached via a USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Old USB 3!) @borbo120.

Enjoy your vacation!

Yes from what I read, you don't need the patch once you have your custom SSDT. The question was more directed to @borbo120

For the moment I am using the USBInjectall.kext with the 10.13.6 patch by PMHeart. This works fine for me and the USB3 ports recognise my external drives. The only issue I have, is that once the system gets back up from "Sleep", it ejects the external drives not properly.
I hope to solve this issue with the SSDT.

Yes from what I read, you don't need the patch once you have your custom SSDT. The question was more directed to @borbo120

For the moment I am using the USBInjectall.kext with the 10.13.6 patch by PMHeart. This works fine for me and the USB3 ports recognise my external drives. The only issue I have, is that once the system gets back up from "Sleep", it ejects the external drives not properly.
I hope to solve this issue with the SSDT.

It's true that you don't need the patch if you have a custom ssdt for the usb ports.

At 99% you will resolve the issue with your hard drive if you use the ssdt file.

Also the custom ssdt file it helps to shutdown, reboot, sleep problems.

Hello,

This is my first post here, and I very much hope I'm not crossing boundaries asking this.
I'm planning on doing the HackaShaq Build for pro audio use. It seems the easiest, latest and one of the best documented recent builds I could find.

After reading the whole thread, I couldn't figure out wether people managed to get Thunderbolt working properly. I absolutely need the Thunderbolt ports to work with my UAD Apollo 8P (Blackface).

Back