Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I just wanted to thank you for the awesome guide. My build ended up being pretty similar to yours, but with a GeForce 1060 card and the AlpineRidge thunderbolt instead of firewire. So far so good. I couldn't have done it without the courage your guide gave me.
Much appreciated, and so glad to hear your build went well. It's great isn't it?
Any feedback you can provide for the AlpineRidge thunderbolt card is appreciated. Was it just plug and play?

Congrats again in your build! :)

I haven't actually gotten anything plugged in to the thunderbolt yet, reading some posts makes me think it might not be working yet, but I need to borrow a tb drive from work or something to test with...
Gotcha. Please keep us posted if/when you get it working.
Would love to hear what exact steps are needed for Thunderbolt with this build.

I don't think my audio is working (it's possible my speakers are broken) - I followed your steps in the 'fix audio' section, but I don't see the expected line outs (I see 7:1 and hdmi) and nothing comes out my speakers when I plug into the port you suggested.

(I got the audio working! :) I needed to install the voodoo drivers)

Last edited:
No luck with the Alpine Ridge so far. I don't have access to Windows, which might be a problem in getting it set up. It is definitely not just 'plug and play'
Good to know, thanks for your feedback.

The card is cheap enough that I could test it out, but darn, I don't have any Thunderbolt devices to use for the test. Bummer.

Holy cow! I booted from that windows installer link you mentioned, didn't install Windows, restarted in High Sierra and lo and behold, thunderbolt appears to be working. At least with my USB-C disk docking station, I don't have any 'real' thunderbolt devices to test with, but the port is definitely live. So, in my experience at least, the Alpine Ridge device is not quite plug-and-play, but pretty close, as long as you make a bootable windows drive.

Back