Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

@jimmakos01

I'm still waiting for the hardware parts of my first build to arrive, but I intended to OC in the BIOS myself, having the same mobo (gigabyte aorus gaming 7), preferably the automated one GB offers, and without delidding just in order to see what the temps will be. Any reason why not to as you seem to suggest ?

Only for test reasons, don't change anything in your settings bios, only the multiplier of the RAM as I said yesterday to 32 or 30.

I believe you will achieve better numbers and the system will be stable as a rock.
I think you need to change your screen name to TheRAMGuru :)

Wow, OK, thank you for the push in following up with this. I changed the setting to have my RAM overclocked to 3200, and it worked like a charm.

As per your advice, here is the setting I manually entered "32" in the BIOS under System Memory Multiplier:

bios_mem.gif

And here is my latest Geekbench score:

geekbench 7-13-18.png

:eek::headbang:

Wow! I was able to enter "32" in and the system booted up just fine as normal. I'm actually going to start editing a bunch of photos with Photoshop and Lightroom, so this will be a great test to see if my system explodes. :)

I didn't try "34" but I guess I could? Should I? Dare I??

These numbers are pretty incredible and they're getting so high that I'm likely just reaching slightly diminishing returns in terms of adding +500 to geekbench, but maybe sacrificing stability. But wow, I can't thank you enough for your assistance with this, and I'm going to add this info the guide now and credit you of course. Thanks again!!

I think you need to change your screen name to TheRAMGuru :)

Wow, ok, thanks you for the push in following up with this. I changed the setting to have my RAM overclocked to 3200, and it worked like a charm.

As per your advice, here is the setting I manually entered "32" in the BIOS under System Memory Multiplier:

View attachment 340818

And here is my latest Geekbench score:

View attachment 340815

:eek::headbang:

Wow! I was able to enter "32" in and the system booted up just fine as normal. I'm actually going to start editing a bunch of photos with Photoshop and Lightroom, so this will be a great test to see if my system explodes. :)

I didn't try "34" but I guess I could? Should I? Dare I??

These numbers are pretty incredible and they're getting so high that I'm likely just reaching slightly diminishing returns in terms of adding +500 to geekbench, but maybe sacrificing stability. But wow, I can't thank you enough for your assistance with this, and I'm going to add this info the guide now and credit you of course. Thanks again!!

My opinion is to remain at 32. Is stable for me.

Ofcourse you can try to get it higher, the only problem is that the pc or Mac os won't boot. Then you have just to revert it to 32 which is stable.

@jimmakos01

I'm still waiting for the hardware parts of my first build to arrive, but I intended to OC in the bios myself, having the same mobo (gigabyte aorus gaming 7), preferably the automated one GB offers, and without delidding just in order to see what the temps will be. Any reason why not to as you seem to suggest ?

Automatic profile is getting the volts to high...If you make same test at 5Ghz with automatic profile you will see VCORE is going at 1.45 or even higher.

A safe overclock for the cpu is with volts @ 1.35 maximum. Mine is @ 1.315

A few updates for my setup. I've delid my cpu, i use rockit tool 88 for the delid, and for thermal paste I use Coolaboratyry Liquid Ultra. https://www.coollaboratory.com/product/coollaboratory-liquid-ultra/

I've get 20-25 degrees down in all tests (Geekbench, Cinebench,Aida 64,Intel burn test) and also I've managed to achieve a 5.1Ghz stable overclock at 1.345volts with Extreme LLC.

Some screenshots with temperatures when running Cinebench and score of Geekbench at 5.1

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 20.19.30.png Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 20.19.01.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 20.23.53.png

Last edited:
Only for test reasons, don't change anything in your settings bios, only the multiplier of the RAM as I said yesterday to 32 or 30.

I believe you will achieve better numbers and the system will be stable as a rock.
Hey @JimmakoS just to give you a data point on this, I've been testing out my machine with the RAM set to "32" and there were no crashes or blatant issues at all. However, I did run into an non-crucial issue:

With the memory set to "32" (instead of "Auto") in the System Memory Multiplier setting, I did notice that it would take my machine quite some time to wake from sleep. I'm going to say a normal wake from sleep is maybe 5 seconds, and now my machine was taking 45 seconds to wake from sleep. It was odd, and resulted in the monitors not waking immediately, where I would have to tap a key multiple times to get it to wake faster.

Due to this oddity, I went back to simply setting the memory to "Auto" un System Memory Multiplier, and after a reboot it wakes immediately after sleep again. I still get 30,580 geekbench numbers so I'm more than happy. Since I use the sleep/wake quite often, it's better for me to go the route.

Just wanted to let you know in case you experience the same issue.

Hey @JimmakoS just to give you a data point on this, I've been testing out my machine with the RAM set to "32" and there were no crashes or blatant issues at all. However, I did run into an non-crucial issue:

With the memory set to "32" (instead of "Auto") in the System Memory Multiplier setting, I did notice that it would take my machine quite some time to wake from sleep. I'm going to say a normal wake from sleep is maybe 5 seconds, and now my machine was taking 45 seconds to wake from sleep. It was odd, and resulted in the monitors not waking immediately, where I would have to tap a key multiple times to get it to wake faster.

Due to this oddity, I went back to simply setting the memory to "Auto" un System Memory Multiplier, and after a reboot it wakes immediately after sleep again. I still get 30,580 geekbench numbers so I'm more than happy. Since I use the sleep/wake quite often, it's better for me to go the route.

Just wanted to let you know in case you experience the same issue.

Good morning from Greece :)

I haven't this "problem". When I put computer to sleep mode all leds is turned off about 27 seconds.

When wake from sleep it takes 2 seconds. I believe sleep is more related to USB and, because I have a custom SSDT for the USB, I don't have this problem. Everything working just like a real Mac.

In your case I can't understand why can be a memory issue :)

Not related. Of course I have the problem with LEDs when turn off computer. LEDs are stay on, and i\I can't find a solution for that.

That's why I use sleep instead of shutdown. In sleep mode all the LEDs stay off.

Hi @JimmakoS hope Greece is a lot warmer than here in Melbourne Australia... it's Winter. I'm having problems with my machine not staying in sleep it turns off, then re-starts after 2 seconds then goes to both screens black and then I have to click mouse/ or key for the screens to come on... just like @HackaShaq mentioned.

It is a USB problem as I have run 'wake reason' in Terminal, and it tells me its a USB error (from my memory).

Could I have a copy of your USB .aml file so I can compile it to a SSDT... to save me time? I'm using all the internal USB ports for my Corsair RGB fans and AIO cooling etc.

TIA Jim

Back