Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I wonder if @HackaShaq or another follower of this thread could post a working Clover EFI folder for Catalina? I just completed the Mojave update, but am running into the black screen issue as I attempt to update to Catalina. I thought I had followed Hack's instructions for a fix (WhateverGreen, Inject ATI and agdpmod=pikera). Thanks.

Last edited:
To add to my previous post, I'm still not able to get past the black screen on Catalina install. I first tried to download Catalina from app store directly onto the computer, with conventional installation. When that didn't work, I tried to install from flash drive with Unibeast, but ran into the same black screen problem. I've noticed the Hackintool thread, but I'm still hoping to get a good EFI folder.

I know that @HackaShaq is currently running Catalina on his build so he should be able to help you sort things out once he signs in again.

I was a very grateful beneficiary of your High Sierra build and have tried to follow in your footsteps with Mojave and Catalina. My Mojave was working OK at first but seems to be degrading -- I haven't been able to use Preview, and I've had some odd shutdown problems. My attempt to upgrade to Catalina ran into a problem with a black screen on install. If you could possibly post your Catalina EFI, I would really appreciate it. I'm also thinking about trying OpenCore as a way to get to a more stable and fully functional system.

Hi!
I've been using this build with integrated graphics for a while now. With the cryptocurrencies crash and the subsequent price drop on graphic cards, I'm now considering buying dedicated graphic card.
I'm not looking to run very recent video games, I just want to be able to edit videos more smoothly.
I'm running this build on Mojave / Win10, but I will consider upgrading to Catalina if needed.

Of course I'm only looking for a card that would be natively supported on Mojave and / or Catalina
Would an AMD Vega 64 be a good option?
Would it be risky to buy it used?
What other (cheaper) options should I consider?

Thank you in advance :)

Hi!
I've been using this build with integrated graphics for a while now. With the cryptocurrencies crash and the subsequent price drop on graphic cards, I'm now considering buying dedicated graphic card.
I'm not looking to run very recent video games, I just want to be able to edit videos more smoothly.
I'm running this build on Mojave / Win10, but I will consider upgrading to Catalina if needed.

Of course I'm only looking for a card that would be natively supported on Mojave and / or Catalina

As always, correct me if I'm wrong...
In my experience, Mojave was too early to support the VEGA properly. I believe the best you can do is an RX580 or HD7950 for native metal support. I still have the RX580 in my build with this motherboard. I started with Mojave and eventually moved it up to Catalina. I am stuck at Catalina for various reasons.

I believe you can also opt for a GTX680 for native support. The Vega 56 and Vega 64 are listed as 'might support'. But, I don't know exactly why since I basically skipped the Vega in my hackintosh builds due to early complications.

That being said, IIRC, @jb007 got a Vega 56 working well enough on his GA-Z370 Gaming7 build. So, there must be a solid way to do it.

On the other issue, I would not buy a used GPU for any amount right now. I might not even take one if it was given to me. There is just no way to know how many G-cores have been burned out while 'mining' crypto until you actually plug it in and test it. And, no one is going to be upfront about how many hours of burn the card suffered before it was removed from the mining rig. They will all say it was 'never used for mining', which is usually a barefaced lie.

Last edited:
On the other issue, I would not buy a used GPU for any amount right now. I might not even take one if it was given to me. There is just no way to know how many G-cores have been burned out while 'mining' crypto until you actually plug it in and test it. And, no one is going to be upfront about how many hours of burn the card suffered before it was removed from the mining rig. They will all say it was 'never used for mining', which is usually a barefaced lie.
Yeah I know that sucks, but at the same time it's either that or no graphic card at all, since all the models that would be natively supported on this build seem to be discontinued on every shop I know. :banghead:
I didn't know the vega 56 and 64 weren't fully supported, thanks for the update. I also thought that GTX cards would never be natively supported, so I guess I need to read the 205 pages of this thread again :crazy:

Hi!

@AudioGuy-87

This Z370 Gaming 7 was one of the first among other hackintosh builds for me. I built it with an RX 580, currently $350 on Amazon, which has worked well for me over the years. This build is currently running the Ventura public beta, but has run the earlier macOS builds as well.

I've used the RX 580 in all my builds through my current Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4. Never a compatibility issue with any board or macOS which is why I kept buying it.

I don't do much video editing. It doesn't have the latest and greatest specs, but has never been a speed or compatibility problem for me.

Hi!

I'm currently using a Gigabyte RX 6600 XT Eagle 8GB Graphics Card, currently selling at $330 USA.

Works like a champ for me. This card replaced my RX 580.

Update: I missed that you wanted to stay on Mojave or Catalina. Get a used RX 500 card, 580 or 590, to work withMojave or Catalina.

A newer AMD card like the 6600 XT would require at least Monterey 12.1 for it to work.
So for an AMD card that works with Mojave, Polaris based (RX 570/80) is the best way to go.
Prices in the used market have come way down.

Back