Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Yes, I reset the BIOS by removing the battery and reconfiguring it again.
I also tried to do a clean installation of Clover, but the random kernel panics continue.
I think the problem is related to the efi drivers, because it has already happened a year ago, but I don't remember what the cause was.
I enclose a debug file, maybe you know something I haven't seen...

Hey Lele, I'm not sure what OS you're using; I'm guessing it's not Mojave because your build sig shows a GTX 970.

I know you have way more experience than I in these matters, but I thought I'd at least offer something that I find very useful. I did skim through a few of the logs. I'm no expert, but I was seeing a lot of wake ups (like 40k) in one of the system logs. -I had that issue for awhile but I don't know why. I've started calling it BIOS rot and sometimes OS X just starts doing wierd things with permissions, and while the Terminal Command like:

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

can be useful, sometimes you have to find anotheer strong-arm method of restoring permissions to folders and even disks that randomly change permissions to user or system folders. It's strange stuff that I don't experience on my real Macs.

What I'm proposing is a little radical and it assumes that your config file is tuned as you want it. Are you kexts in L/E or in the EFI? Do you have a boot EFI stick handy?

FWIW, I run all kexts from the EFI on my system's SSD. Sometimes, when my system goes completely upside-down, I (F12) cold boot from an EFI stick, F11 to clear the NVRAM when Clover appears, (F12) reboot from an EFI stick again, then Clover-boot into the system disk (that's temporarily dependent on the boot EFI stick) I launch Clover Configurator, mount the "offending" EFI, drag its contents to the trash, empty the trash. I then mount the EFI of a "known good" EFI -such as the boot stick, then drag it into the empty EFI partition of my system drive, unmount (not eject) the EFI partitions using CC.

I also manually update the kexts in my EFI. When I installed Clover to 5300, I had the package open, Quit CC, but left the EFI's mounted, then did the Clover install.

When I reboot the sickly machine, I use the Delete key to get to the BIOS setup, and under the BIOS tab, I set the 1st boot option to my system drive (UEFI_XXXXXXX) and the 2nd boot option to (UEFI_EFI Boot Stick). I then go in and delete any other boot options by hand.

If you don't have a BIOS setup file safety, can you do a "Optimized Defaults" then change all those liitle values from post #1? Because for some reason the values displayed may look right on the BIOS setup screen, but they can be "wrong" despite showing the values. -So I consider it degraded and I reset everything using "Optimized Defaults" and all the little things I've now memorized. And then I Save it in Slot 1, I make a Safety version in Slot 2, and another "Safety" version on an external USB stick. After this, I reload the newly saved setup from Slot 1, and then I click on the Save and Exit Setup. I then hammer away on F12 and boot into the fresh UEFI/EFI partition on the system disk. Let it go to Clover, but hit F11 the moment you see the Clover icon: Once again, hammer away on F12 and boot into the fresh UEFI/EFI partition on the system disk, When Clover appears, youu should only see you system drive as the option for booting. Hit return and let it load the OS. Shut down the system, pull the EFI stick and reboot. Hammer at "Delete" to get to the BIOS, go to the BIOS tab and verify that your System's UEFI is in the top priority loading slot. Delete any entries that are not UEFI bootable EFI volumes. Go to the end, resave your changes, then hit Save And Exit Setup. You should be taken to Clover after reboot and then you should be good to go. YMMV...

Thoughts? LMK what happens.

I see there's a F14 BIOS version on the Gigabyte site.
I just updated to F13 last week and configured my open loop cooling in Smart Fan 5 which takes a long time so I'll stay on F13 for awhile.
Just thought I'd point it out for anyone going as far as Load Optimized Defualts in BIOS.

Re: Smart Fan 5. In PWM mode (I have 4 Noctua fans including the one on the D15s) I notice that any ℃/Fan speed % setup always gets knocked down by a point or two; 40% becomes 39%, 60% becomes 59%, etc. Is it just a Gigabyte thing?

I'm using a bunch of PWM Noctuas as well and notice the same behavior. I assumed there's some rounding during the conversion of a percentage to the nearest voltage increment. Probably rounds down as policy.
I really wish you could set RPM values instead of percent in PWM mode. At first I thought I'd overlooked some other bios setting to enable PWM control but no. Not really a fan controller so much as it is power controller.

Interesting, @jiffyslot. Where you able to figure this out. Mine has worked pretty well for a long time now (just upgraded to 10.14.6), but I want to update my USB stick soon in anticipation of 10.15 and am just curious if you figured out the 99% problem.

Sorry for the late reply. I was trying to build an X299 system and failed. Anyway, since I pulled the mobo, RAM, battery, and CPU, the board was in a box for a couple weeks. I'd created an 10.14.6 via a 2012 Mac Mini. When I put my Z370 machine back together, fresh thermal paste and all, the cold boot simply worked. No freezes, no prohib symbols, it just worked. I also have a TSC kext for my system. do you still need an EFI, or are you good?

Everything good here guys with our motherboard. Upgrade to Catalina like a real Mac.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 10.33.48 PM.jpg

Thanks for info!
Which Clover version do you have? Anything special besides up to date kexts?

Best regards

Everything good here guys with our motherboard. Upgrade to Catalina like a real Mac.

Back