Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Try verbose booting (-v) and then snap a pic of the screen where it hangs up.
I wills also try this tonight. Thank you.

Here is my attempt booting with verbose. Hope this helps. @trs96 can you take a look and tell me what you think? Thanks.

Attachments

• FAC188F7-7515-4368-BBC8-A407A084E62C.jpeg
    FAC188F7-7515-4368-BBC8-A407A084E62C.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Hey HackaShaq/all

I followed this build but for the motherboard - z370 ultra gaming. What a great resource! Thanks so much for your detailed plan! First time build and it went (relatively) smooth :)
Its all working except the audio. I believe the Ultra Gaming uses the same audio chipset as the gaming 7.

I've attached some screen shots.

Only thing I can think of is my method of installing the AppleALC & Lilu. kexts which was just to copy paste... Other than that, I'm stumped.
Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 00.12.23.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 00.12.23.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 00.12.33.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 00.12.33.png
    727 KB · Views: 244
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 00.12.49.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 00.12.49.png
    605.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 00.13.09.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 00.13.09.png
    146 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
PS:

Neither are even listed in the system report extensions. But both remain in the EFI partition..

Only thing I can think of is my method of installing the AppleALC & Lilu. kexts which was just to copy paste... Other than that, I'm stumped.
If they are installed to kexts/other folder on the EFI partition then you need to set CC > System Parameters > inject kexts to Yes instead of Detect. Otherwise they won't load properly.

Last edited:
Hey HackaShaq/all

I followed this build but for the motherboard - z370 ultra gaming. What a great resource! Thanks so much for your detailed plan! First time build and it went (relatively) smooth :)
Its all working except the audio. I believe the Ultra Gaming uses the same audio chipset as the gaming 7.

I've attached some screen shots.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Q: Why are you using "Inject USB" and "Fix Ownership" in the config? Just wondering.

Mine is about five months old now. Here's an update on my Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 running 10.14.5.

I always get kernel panics when cold booting after shut down. I have to boot into Windows, let it simmer, then restart and boot into Mac OS. I think my HP EX920 boot drive needs to be warmed up beyond a minimum temperature.

Mouse and keyboard no longer freeze, because I'm no longer using the yellow (DAC) USB ports.

Audio is frequently (usually) low volume from line out. But sometimes full volume. I have no idea why it comes and goes. I think it's related to Mac OS using or not using the ALC1220's built-in amp.

The presence of the Optane M.2 card causes a kernel panic.

The mobo's RGBs default to red in Mac OS and I would really like a way to turn them off or change them to low intensity white. Or find a non-windowed side panel for my case.

I've added and rearranged fans for better cooling. I've got Arctic F12 PWM PST fans linked together 2-for-1 front intake and 2-for-1 top exhaust, plus the stock rear exhaust fan. (Each pair appears as one fan on the fan controller.) I put the fifth F12 on my Hyper 212 CPU cooler, mainly because I didn't like seeing the red LEDs of the stock fan. The best thing I did for cooling was move my case out of its enclosed desk space to on top of the desk.

Below is an example of an enclosed desk with bad cooling. Even with the door open or off, this is not good for an 8700K with a Radeon.

079312.jpg

I've updated successfully. But something has changed in a newly-made 10.14.6 installer. They never load past 99%.
I'm going to make a new one, to give it a last go, but I'm keeping my 10.14.4 installer USB stick for now, and just using the combo update .dmg after the initial install. So, the update was fine, but creating a new, clean, standalone backup SSD was not possible. Yet. I'll post an update later...

(Sorry for that double post earlier. Something wasn't refreshing. Anyway, I made a new 10.14.6 installer with Unibeast on a newly-formatted SanDisk 16GB USB stick. It takes about 90 minutes to get to 99%. And it stays that way for another hour and never proceeds. Something's wrong somewhere. So if you're starting this build from the get go and you have an older 10.14.4 or earlier Mojave USBB stick and it's working, I recommend using that installer version, then downloading the "jumbo-size" Combo Update to get to 10.14.6. YMMV...

Last edited:
Back