Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Motherboard
GA-Z370 AORUS Gaming 7-F13
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Classic, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
See in the screen shot that both thunderbolt ports are fully working. One is my audio interface the other 2 devices showing are my Sonnet Breakaway eGPU box with GTX 1080ti for video and the audio from the 1080ti. I can unplug and they go away... plug in again and they pop right back up! :D

Just add theses from the "Patched" zip to your ACPI/Patched folder and add your model of Radeon card (from the Radeon SSDT folder) to that same ACPI/Patched folder. Reboot and hit F11 to clear NVRAM and you are golden!

Set Thunderbolt setting in BIOS to the picture provided. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OUTLINED IN THE RED BOX AS IT COULD DAMAGE YOUR T/B CARD!!!!! That is why Gigabyte has removed those settings in all newer updates.
Are you still using this or did you move on to Titan Ridge?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
@jiffyslot @Gothic4684 told me that his TB fix broke when he updated macOS. He bought the new mac mini with 4 TB3 slots and "never looked back"
If you like, I still have my working efi folder I was using on 10.14.3. I had both tb3 ports working with Alpine Ridge and bios f7. I will just remove my serial number and you can use yours. Model was iMac pro. I uploaded it here

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 BIOS F7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
If you like, I still have my working efi folder I was using on 10.14.3. I had both tb3 ports working with Alpine Ridge and bios f7. I will just remove my serial number and you can use yours. Model was iMac pro. I uploaded it here
@Gothic4684 Cool! Thanks! Do I just need to copy this into my EFI? can you walk me through any adapting of the files that I would need to do? How do I find out my serial number and how do I add it to this?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
@Gothic4684 Cool! Thanks! Do I just need to copy this into my EFI? can you walk me through any adapting of the files that I would need to do? How do I find out my serial number and how do I add it to this?
look on this site for the “how to” for how to get iMessages working. It’s all there

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Classic, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Getting prohib screens on reboot. I'll keep tapping away at F12 and see if I can get it to eventually boot. Quick question, looking at the config file and applying new SNN/MLB, etc. Are you spoofing the CPU, or is it the 8700k? I'm assuming your system definition that you put in there is important for the patch to work?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Getting prohib screens on reboot. I'll keep tapping away at F12 and see if I can get it to eventually boot. Quick question, looking at the config file and applying new SNN/MLB, etc. Are you spoofing the CPU, or is it the 8700k? I'm assuming your system definition that you put in there is important for the patch to work?
Not spoofing anything. Mine is the non K model. Any prohibit issue I had was ALL related to the igpu. If you have it enabled try and turn it off. If it works then you know that’s the issue to fix. I had to jump through hoops to get it working with the igpu enabled and that config is indeed with it ON running in headless mode.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Classic, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Yeah, that's my setup too, except that the igpu field is "blank" -WEG has done that. I'm using FCPX and Compressor does your setup allow handoff without igpu? Or should I just use the Thunderbolt patches and keep my 18,3 definition? It's wierd we have the same system except I'm using the Sapphire RX-580 8GB. OS 10.14.5, of course.

Something else occurs to me: Default RAM speed for the 19,1 configuration. Wondering if I need to jack up my RAM from 2400 to 2600. So, I'm going to give it another try.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 BIOS F7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
It's wierd we have the same system except I'm using the Sapphire RX-580 8GB. OS 10.14.5, of course.
Does OS 10.14.5 have distinct advantages over earlier Mojave versions? I'm on 10.14.1. it might be the update that is causing issues.

Yeah, that's my setup too, except that the igpu field is "blank" -WEG has done that. I'm using FCPX and Compressor does your setup allow handoff without igpu?
What is -WEG? I'm using FCPX but not compressor. I have the IGPU disabled in BIOS. When I tried to turn it on, my video renders freaked out so I turned it of as per the hackashaq build guide.

Like I said, I just copied my EFI folder to my friend's identical build and he doesn't have hot swap. Maybe the clean install had something to do with it. Also, I noticed that I do have hot swap on both TB3 ports when using a native TB3 device, but when I adapt a TB2 device using the apple TB2-TB3 adapter, it only works on port 1. It's so weird

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Classic, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Yeah, if you're using FCPX and/or Compressor leave the iGPU on as a helper-monkey to your RX-580.

WEG= the Whatever Green kext. You need that and Lilu in your computer's L/E folder. You may already have this, but check if in doubt. Follow the build guide and poke around here: