Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hi Jim,

I always meant to ask you about this patch and it's relation to using the Fractal Define R6 case. I'd been getting a bit paranoid about "too many USB ports" so I started polling the case. I've mapped out what ports do what for my case and I’ve concluded that the HS01 and SS01 connections are attached to a hidden internal USB hub that's glued-in and jammed under the front hood and next to the power switch. Just in case this is of any use to anyone with the same setup: jb provided exactly 15 USB ports. Thanks @jb007 !

Front USB Ports reading from left to right from the front of the PC:

HS08 @14800000 Front USB port 1: 1st port from left: USB 2 port
HS07 @14700000 Front USB port 2: 2nd port from left: USB 2 port
HS01 @14120000 Front USB port 3: 3rd port from left: USB 2 port
HS01 @14110000 Front USB port 4: 4th port from left: USB 2 port
SS01 @14b10000 Front USB port 3: 4th port from left: USB 3.0 port
SS01 @14b20000 Front USB port 4: 3rd port from left: USB 3.0 port

Rear USB Ports reading from top to bottom looking at the back of vertical case:

HS02 @14200000 Blue rear bottom USB port: USB 2
SS02 @14c00000 Blue rear bottom USB port: USB 3
HS03 @14300000 Yellow rear top left USB port: USB 2
SS03 @14d00000 Yellow rear top left USB port: USB 3.0
HS04 @14400000 Yellow rear top right USB port: USB 2
SS04 @14e00000 Yellow rear top right USB port: USB 3.0
HS05 @14500000 Blue rear mid left USB port: USB 2
SS05 @14f00000 Blue rear mid left USB port: USB 3.0
HS06 @14600000 Blue rear mid right USB port: USB 2 only.

???? @00300000 Red rear bottom USB 3.1 port: USB 3 only? -Maybe not part of the patch’s intended setup?

All ports verified with a USB 2 iLok and a USB 3.0 CF Card reader.

Anyway, it was an interesting "discovery" -ha ha... FWIW, I mostly just run everything off of a huge Xcellon powered USB hub.
I'll have a look on my Fractal Define case and report back. Could explain a few doubts I had at the time regarding the USB ports. Good find!

@HackaShaq,
Thank you very much for the Idea with the case, always loved Apple's design and this one comes pretty close.

Doing some testing and review, the Intel exploit press release today, is patched by microcode version B4 (180) for 8700K. I did some checking of macOS microcode version and with 10.14.5 or 10.13.6 with security update installed,
sysctl -a | grep microcode does indeed return "180".

If you are interested in installing the MCU through BIOS update itself, per usual https://www.win-raid.com/t3217f44-OFFER-Gigabyte-GA-Z-Aorus-Gaming-BIOS-mod.html has it already. F13 Update 2 has latest microcode update versions that mitigate against https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00233.html . Although make sure you have RTC ACPI patch that enables versions above F11 to actually be bootable in macOS.

Also note, you don't need to do this, it just means macOS won't need to software patch it on boot cause it'll exist in hardware. My testing of macOS is that it only loads software microcode if it's newer than hardware one, if hardware one is newer it loads instead. In this particular instance, right now the modified BIOS and latest security updates are both version 180 (for Coffee Lake 8700K anyways, it'll be diff based on CPUID)

Last edited:
Hello all, I seem to be stuck on step 7 setting up the sound. I followed the steps as explained and don't seem to have success. Starting from the beginning I get stopped at the same spot.

Is it possible that the current AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext files need to be within a specific version range to work? 1.2.1 AppleALC and Lilu audio files were available when this post was first released, up to version 1.35 as of currently.

Any help would be appreciated as I haven't had to build a Hackintosh for so long! And holy crap Clover Configurator has come a long way.

Hello all, I seem to be stuck on step 7 setting up the sound. I followed the steps as explained and don't seem to have success. Starting from the beginning I get stopped at the same spot.

Is it possible that the current AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext files need to be within a specific version range to work? 1.2.1 AppleALC and Lilu audio files were available when this post was first released, up to version 1.35 as of currently.

Any help would be appreciated as I haven't had to build a Hackintosh for so long! And holy crap Clover Configurator has come a long way.

I have AppleALC v1.3.6 and Lilu v1.3.5 and sound is working great, running Clover v2.4k_r4920.

I finally took the courage and made my own USB SSDT with @RehabMan Guide. @jb007 already shared his SSDT here and I used it as a reference. I also had a bit too much time and created an overview of all the different ports on the Gaming 7 motherboard:View attachment 352058

Feel free to use it as a reference or to correct me if there are any mistakes.
The internal USB 3.1 Gen2 I tested with the new front case hub of my Fractal Design R6 that also includes a USB Type-C port.

@jb007 I have a question regarding HS01/SS01. I labelled this one as "Internal" (255), but I saw you labelled it as "USB 3" (3).
What's right and why?

Hi SebErr,

Is your USB SSDT still working? Mine is no longer working, and I'm not sure why. It showed during discovery yesterday when I prepped the config and kexts for discovery. Everything reports except the 3rd and 4th front USB ports on the front of the case (HS01 & SS01) and SS06 isn't reporting, only HS06. I didn't edit the SSDT made by @jb007 so I thought I'd ask you to please share yours since you and I have the same case. – A case no longer available.

Please and thank you. Mods: bump as needed, but everything else is stellar. That's why I haven't made my own build guide yet.

Thanks again.

I have AppleALC v1.3.6 and Lilu v1.3.5 and sound is working great, running Clover v2.4k_r4920.

Can confirm that it worked with just using your suggested versions while following the guide, thanks for the help!

New question for you wonderful people! Now that the first one worked with the sound issue fixed I repeated the process on the next 6 machines. As I took over this project I have found one of the M.2 drives had windows 10 installed. Disk Utility can't erase the drive "MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation", this error pushed me to the terminal as a solution. I can't seem to use the terminal to erase the drive as it refuses to recognize "sudo" and tells me "command not found".

Now I'm again at a stopping point that makes no sense to me, how in the world does bash3.2 not understand the command "sudo"? I can't log into a user and run as local host as there is no local host to do such a thing.

New question for you wonderful people! Now that the first one worked with the sound issue fixed I repeated the process on the next 6 machines. As I took over this project I have found one of the M.2 drives had windows 10 installed. Disk Utility can't erase the drive "MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation", this error pushed me to the terminal as a solution. I can't seem to use the terminal to erase the drive as it refuses to recognize "sudo" and tells me "command not found".

Now I'm again at a stopping point that makes no sense to me, how in the world does bash3.2 not understand the command "sudo"? I can't log into a user and run as local host as there is no local host to do such a thing.

We can't see your build. Please update your profile so that we can help you: https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/build-signature

Back