Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Does anybody else with this hardware combo have a mouse pointer often frozen upon boot? My USB configuration is borrowed from @jb007 via this post. It has occurred with all other USB configurations I've tried, with all USB ports I've tried (mainly in the back panel).

The mouse is a Corsair M65 Pro. Unplugging and re-plugging to the same port unfreezes the pointer.

Edit for grammar

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i7-8700K OC 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 + eGPU: 2 x RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
I occasionally have the same problem with both my Corsair K95 Platinium keyboard and the Glaive mouse. Even though both light up, they are not recognized.

At this stage, I have no solution. but what I do is make Clover wait (there is a setting in config.plist to halt indefinitely at the menu), and I power cycle the powered USB hub I have, and all is well in my world. I believe it has to do with the very high interrupt rate of these 'gaming' devices. I have the same problem upon boot from the boot phase in Windows and Linux, so I don't believe it's a macOS thing.

If it's freezing at the Clover menu, then it's not a macOS thing.

Motherboard
GA-Z370 AORUS Gaming 7-F13
CPU
i7-8700K OC 4.6 GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Classic, iBook, Performa, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
You just get from here jiffy. https://www.win-raid.com/t3217f44-OFFER-Gigabyte-GA-Z-Aorus-Gaming-BIOS-mod.html
Get the modded F11 update 5 to have no issues. Even the modded F12 and f13 won't work without fixing the APCI errors with a custom DSDT.

Remember, after flash redo settings, you can also do terminal command to confirm microcode was updated from 150 to 174. Also, yes, the reboot issues are fixed as well. It's the latest feb microcode not the late december one that fixed security issues but contained random reboots bug. I have had no issues with the 174 microcode version.

Hi,

Have you been able to determine if Mojave is "applying" that BIOS update? -Not just in reporting the microcode version, but in actual performance. Has your performance improved?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi,
No problem here, I have similar config from @jb007. Keyboard is USB from HP and standard mouse usb from hp too.

By the way, 10.14.4 update no problem. I have the kexts whatevergreen, Lilu and USBInjectAll updated before. Clover 4910 version.

I occasionally have the same problem with both my Corsair K95 Platinium keyboard and the Glaive mouse. Even though both light up, they are not recognized.

At this stage, I have no solution. but what I do is make Clover wait (there is a setting in config.plist to halt indefinitely at the menu), and I power cycle the powered USB hub I have, and all is well in my world. I believe it has to do with the very high interrupt rate of these 'gaming' devices. I have the same problem upon boot from the boot phase in Windows and Linux, so I don't believe it's a macOS thing.

If it's freezing at the Clover menu, then it's not a macOS thing.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
One little quirk of this machine is that when I startup the computer from a cold startup (not a wake from sleep) the dual monitor setup defaults to 1920x1080 resolution when booted up into the Finder.
Is there any chance that setting your desired 1440p resolution as Clover's "Gui" "screen resolution" will carry over into the Mac OS boot? Worth a try.

Motherboard
DX58sO
CPU
990x
Graphics
GTS 250 dual graphics cards
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
have this motherboard....

Want to do a clean Mojave install...

Is there a an EFI folder that someone has that works for this?

I have the board working in High Sierra, but suspect that Mojave changed things.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
To update to the last bios, use this ACPI patch:
I put it before updating the BIOS. It works great.

Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i7-8700K OC 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
I can confirm that it is working with Mojave 10.14.4. Thanks @vincerutabaga for the link.

I just wonder what the ACPI patch is doing in a technical sense? Any clues guys/gals?

Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i7-8700K OC 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
I can confirm that it is working with Mojave 10.14.4. Thanks @vincerutabaga for the link.

I just wonder what the ACPI patch is doing in a technical sense? Any clues guys/gals?
To answer my own question, I believe the ACPI patch fixes the RTC (Real Time Clock) as mentioned in this post here.

Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 - F11
CPU
i7-8700K OC @ 5.1Ghz
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Performa
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes, also on F13 (modded) with that patch. That's exactly what I was waiting for. I know some were using F12 and F13 using custom DSDT patches, but I prefer to automate patching with Clover so they persist through bios updates and the likes (you're supposed to redo a DSDT every bios update). I knew someone smart would eventually make a hotpatch to deal with the newer BIOS issues. :D