Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Have to agree with that. For everyone subscribed to the @HackaShaq Golden Build, if you didn't know already, there will be a new Mojave guide posted in Mojave Desktop Guides that pulls together all the mini-guides in this thread by jb007. This will make it much easier for those clean installing Mojave to follow a step by step install guide that includes an SSDT for USB port funtion and a section on enabling Thunderbolt 3 via a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt AIC. So be on the lookout for that. If jb007 ever gets that computer back from his son and DHL delivers the goods, you have a lot of great info coming your way about installing and configuring macOS Mojave on your Gigabyte Gaming 7 system.

No pressure jb ;) but it sounds like your followers are expecting you to hit a home run with this new guide.
OUT STANDING!!! :headbang:

Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I just ordered basically the same components used in this build and will be starting it this weekend. Excited to see the new thread on installing Mojave with these components as well. I'm not blessed with all this computer knowledge everyone else has here so thank you guys for the quality info! Will be trying a dual boot system if I can get it figured out.

Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
So my hackintosh has been running great until last night.... Around 2am last night the motherboard caught on fire while the machine was asleep!
IMG_20190116_173352.jpg

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
I5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
So my hackintosh has been running great until last night.... Around 2am last night the motherboard caught on fire while the machine was asleep!
Gigabyte has a very good RMA service. Document everything you can. They may be able to learn something from this. What do you think caused the fire ? This incident shows the importance of buying a case made out of steel or AL rather than wood or plastic ! Or even worse yet, a cardboard box, which some people put a motherboard in to avoid having to buy a case.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z370 AORUS GAMING 7 - F11
CPU
i7-8700K OC 4.9GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 + eGPU: RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
View attachment 379817
Jeez I’m sorry for you. I guess if this was to happen it happened whilst you were home and the Mobo is under warranty!

Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Gigabyte has a very good RMA service. Document everything you can. They may be able to learn something from this. What do you think caused the fire ? This incident shows the importance of buying a case made out of steel or AL rather than wood or plastic ! Or even worse yet, a cardboard box, which some people put a motherboard in to avoid having to buy a case.
I am still not really sure what caused the fire.... I am going to have to take some photos and begin removing parts. To me it looks like it may have been a defect in the board because of where the fire was. But I guess it could have been an issue with my power supply maybe?

Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Jeez I’m sorry for you. I guess if this was to happen it happened whilst you were home and the Mobo is under warranty!
I am very lucky that I was home! Usually I leave the machine on and sleeping while at work and this is exactly the state it was in when it caught on fire.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
I5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I am still not really sure what caused the fire.... I am going to have to take some photos and begin removing parts. To me it looks like it may have been a defect in the board because of where the fire was. But I guess it could have been an issue with my power supply maybe?
That's what I was thinking too. The 24 Pin power connector is very close to that area that caught fire. What make and model of PSU do you have in this build ?

Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
That's what I was thinking too. The 24 Pin power connector is very close to that area that caught fire. What make and model of PSU do you have in this build ?
I have a Corsair AX760

Motherboard
GA-Z370 AORUS Gaming 7-F11
CPU
i7-8700K OC 4.4 GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
That is some scary shirt. Something went terribly wrong here. Unless it was an electrical grid event, the problem was lying in wait. I'd notify both Gigabyte and Corsair after taking plenty of photos during the postmortem. The scorch I'm seeing is right next to the MOBO power switch all the way down to the LED strip and that big screw (I'm not sure if that screw is connected to ground or not, but it looks like it is.

Was it on a UPS? If so did that safety device let a jolt just sail through? I can't see how a simple short off of the MOBO could take place unless you removed all of the standoffs and there was arcing from the case itself. A component igniting, especially during sleep mode is very troubling.