Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

That's what I was thinking too. The 24 Pin power connector is very close to that area that caught fire. What make and model of PSU do you have in this build ?

I have a Corsair AX760

That is some scary shirt. Something went terribly wrong here. Unless it was an electrical grid event, the problem was lying in wait. I'd notify both Gigabyte and Corsair after taking plenty of photos during the postmortem. The scorch I'm seeing is right next to the MOBO power switch all the way down to the LED strip and that big screw (I'm not sure if that screw is connected to ground or not, but it looks like it is.

Was it on a UPS? If so did that safety device let a jolt just sail through? I can't see how a simple short off of the MOBO could take place unless you removed all of the standoffs and there was arcing from the case itself. A component igniting, especially during sleep mode is very troubling.

Famous last words, son still has it, but will relinquish it when I go back to my home this Friday and he stays down here at the beach. Maybe then I can get the document done ✅

Good stuff! Is Hotplug working out of the box with your monitor?

Finally been informed DHL have my Titan Ridge shipping from Amazon after 4 days being told it had shipped from Amazon! Can’t wait to see what strife I can get into with it! Suggest you poke DHL!

Yup hotplug is working.

I still have not started to take it apart just yet. I am probably going to start working on it this weekend. I did not have the machine on a UPS and It was just plugged into a nice surge protector under my desk. It does seem like a pretty freak occurrence as I have never had any computer catch fire in my 25 years of working on them.

I still have not started to take it apart just yet. I am probably going to start working on it this weekend. I did not have the machine on a UPS and It was just plugged into a nice surge protector under my desk. It does seem like a pretty freak occurrence as I have never had any computer catch fire in my 25 years of working on them.

What it could of happened, is the internal ground and power planes (it's a multi-layer PCB) might have had a short where the screw went in on the corner. There is a very dark patch (high carbon content) on the case near the screw.

If you have a multimeter handy and please excuse me if you already know how to do this, I'd remove both power connectors from the motherboard and all of the SSD/HD power connectors (so as not to do any further damage) and follow this guide about how to check for the correct voltage levels at the connectors. Short out pins 15 and 16 on the 24-pin ATX motherboard power connector with a piece of wire to let the power supply think it has been turned on.

I'd also before removing the PCB, check with the multimeter all of the voltage rails going into the ATX power connector for shorts to ground and also between the different voltage rails e.g +5V to GND, +5V to +12v. You might get an idea of what caused it. If you get stuck with what readings you should get on the resistance (ohms) scales I could measure my good board for you, so sing out if you want.

Hopefully all of the SSD's etc are still healthy and it was either a power supply fault or a competent or internal short. And yes I've only ever had a few of PCB's have this sort of damage since I started in electronics since 1974, mainly tantalum capacitors and/or electrolytic capacitors. I've never had a ATX power supply burn up the board, but have had them die.

Hope you get it all sorted soon, and next time have the marshmallows ready!;)

Jim

I found the extra M.2 covers for our board. It’s a kit for the second full length and a shorter black one for the lowest one... includes the standoffs and screws. Mine will arrive today :)

Gigabyte Aluminum Thermal Guard for PCIE NVME M.2 GIGABYTE GP-M.2 HS Cooling System (GP-M.2 HS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5RH3Q4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks for that @Gothic4684, I ordered the second last one after seeing your post. Another bit of 'bling' for my build! All gone now from Amazon, with a "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." message.

Just wish my Titan Ridge was here so I can include it in my write-up which I will be continuing on tomorrow as I'm back from my little break at the beach.

Well, I've been following this thread voraciously, as I've got a similar (core component) build. Blown away by how helpful @jb007 has been to so many! I've been silently trying to glean wisdom from his numerous posts.

I've got a largely stable machine, but have had problems with WindowServer freezes -- screen freezes except the mouse pointer continues to move, and if you ssh into the machine, stuff still runs for a bit, but eventually grinds to a halt. I've also been completely unable to get the iGPU to play alongside my RX580 (Sapphire Nitro+) -- if I enable the iGPU in BIOS, I get a near-immediate kernel panic (white "do not enter" slash immediately after apple logo appears). So far I've been completely unable to overcome this one (even with a reinstall of Mojave tonight). Any ideas??

Well, I've been following this thread voraciously, as I've got a similar (core component) build. Blown away by how helpful @jb007 has been to so many! I've been silently trying to glean wisdom from his numerous posts.

I've got a largely stable machine, but have had problems with WindowServer freezes -- screen freezes except the mouse pointer continues to move, and if you ssh into the machine, stuff still runs for a bit, but eventually grinds to a halt. I've also been completely unable to get the iGPU to play alongside my RX580 (Sapphire Nitro+) -- if I enable the iGPU in BIOS, I get a near-immediate kernel panic (white "do not enter" slash immediately after apple logo appears). So far I've been completely unable to overcome this one (even with a reinstall of Mojave tonight). Any ideas??

Hi @seattle_hackintosh, I'll try and see if we can get your mac going. I'm not at my hack ATM, so this is from my hazy memory! I should have a Mojave guide up in the next few days... so I don't want t
Some things I need to know, or for you to check:

BIOS:
  1. Make sure you have all of your BIOS settings as per this guide. I have CSM turned off in my BIOS, but this should not cause your problems.
  2. If you have any overclocking settings, turn them off ATM
  3. Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots if you are using only two modules.
  4. Make sure you have Profile 1 selected for your RAM.
  5. If you have any extra add-in cards eg TB3 card, PCIe network card, fire wire card, remove them ATM
  6. Make sure you have set your default graphics to PCIe and the two iGPU card settings for running in headless mode, i.e. for QuickSync, jpg preview etc, to 64MB and 256MB.
EFI/Config.plist:
Assumption... that you are using your RX 580 as primary, and your iGPU as a headless 'helper'. If you want to use your iGPU as a display driver, I have had it working with the macmini8,1 BIOS.
  1. Find the last config.plist I posted, this should get you going in the right direction
  2. What SMBIOS are you using in your config.plist? You should be using iMac18,3. Make sure you have the correct BIOS settings selected. Use the up/down arrows in the SMBIOS page and select the 18,3 model. Don't worry about your serial numbers etc until your graphics is fixed.
  3. Make sure you have not enabled any setting for graphics in your config.plist, ie no ATI, Intel or frame buffer settings.
  4. Remove all kexts from your other directory, except for fakeSMS.
  5. Remove all ACPI patches from patches ATM
/Library/Extensions
  1. Have the latest WhateverGreen & Lilu kext's in your /Library/Extensions directory.
  2. Make sure you have run in a terminal the following code and don't have any errors after running them:
    Code:
    sudo touch /Library/Extensions
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo kextcache -i /
NVRAM
  1. Make sure you have selected UEFI boot with native NVRAM in multibeast.
Booting with iGPU enabled and circle of death!
  1. Clear your NVRAM at the Clover Menu by pressing F11, mac should reboot...
  2. Press the spacebar at Clover Menu and select the don't halt on kernel panic and verbose options, then boot with the selected options. If it kernel panics, take a picture and post for me to look at.
  3. Also try and turn on 'Enable above 64GB' in BIOS and see if this helps.
  4. Make sure your versions of fakeSMC.kext are the same versions both in your EFI other and /L/E folders.
If all is still 'pear shaped' upload your EFI folder zipped up minus the themes folder f& a print out of your /L/E folder with the version info...this build should just work.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi,

I got my setup up and running yesterday. Today I noticed that sometimes the computer slows down for some reason, and, every time I restart, I have to give permission to some apps to open on login and also check the box for showing version of some apps in folder. I also tried to get the USB working with hackintool but no luck there, I don't get if I need the XHCI-300 or the unsupported version or neither.

If someone could look if they spot the problem from these.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 19.13.57.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 19.13.57.png
    228.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 19.12.24.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 19.12.24.png
    215.3 KB · Views: 64
  • EFI.zip
    20.2 MB · Views: 73
Hi @seattle_hackintosh, I'll try and see if we can get your mac going. I'm not at my hack ATM, so this is from my hazy memory! I should have a Mojave guide up in the next few days... so I don't want t
Some things I need to know, or for you to check:

BIOS:
  1. Make sure you have all of your BIOS settings as per this guide. I have CSM turned off in my BIOS, but this should not cause your problems.
  2. If you have any overclocking settings, turn them off ATM
  3. Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots if you are using only two modules.
  4. Make sure you have Profile 1 selected for your RAM.
  5. If you have any extra add-in cards eg TB3 card, PCIe network card, fire wire card, remove them ATM
  6. Make sure you have set your default graphics to PCIe and the two iGPU card settings for running in headless mode, i.e. for QuickSync, jpg preview etc, to 64MB and 256MB.
EFI/Config.plist:
Assumption... that you are using your RX 580 as primary, and your iGPU as a headless 'helper'. If you want to use your iGPU as a display driver, I have had it working with the macmini8,1 BIOS.
  1. Find the last config.plist I posted, this should get you going in the right direction
  2. What SMBIOS are you using in your config.plist? You should be using iMac18,3. Make sure you have the correct BIOS settings selected. Use the up/down arrows in the SMBIOS page and select the 18,3 model. Don't worry about your serial numbers etc until your graphics is fixed.
  3. Make sure you have not enabled any setting for graphics in your config.plist, ie no ATI, Intel or frame buffer settings.
  4. Remove all kexts from your other directory, except for fakeSMS.
  5. Remove all ACPI patches from patches ATM
/Library/Extensions
  1. Have the latest WhateverGreen & Lilu kext's in your /Library/Extensions directory.
  2. Make sure you have run in a terminal the following code and don't have any errors after running them:
    Code:
    sudo touch /Library/Extensions
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
NVRAM
  1. Make sure you have selected UEFI boot with native NVRAM in multibeast.
Booting with iGPU enabled and circle of death!
  1. Clear your NVRAM at the Clover Menu by pressing F11, mac should reboot...
  2. Press the spacebar at Clover Menu and select the don't halt on kernel panic and verbose options, then boot with the selected options. If it kernel panics, take a picture and post for me to look at.
  3. Also try and turn on 'Enable above 64GB' in BIOS and see if this helps.
  4. Make sure your versions of fakeSMC.kext are the same versions both in your EFI other and /L/E folders.
If all is still 'pear shaped' upload your EFI folder zipped up minus the themes folder f& a print out of your /L/E folder with the version info...this build should just work.

Jim

Holy cow!! I can't believe you're doing all that from memory, Jim. Anyway, I won't get on an overly tedious step-by-step checking off of all your suggestions, but I'll just say that I followed them. Your assumption on how I want to configure is correct -- RX580 feeding a LG 4K display via DP, and iGPU as headless helper. I've been using iMac18,3 all along and it seems to be the best fit.

Soooo...in following your steps, I originally got the kernel panic in the attached screenshot, consistently and repeatedly.

Then I realized I did indeed forget one of your steps, and that was pulling my Alpine Ridge TB card. I had unplugged my TB drive, but forgot to go back and pull the card. Once I did that, things progressed beyond the original KP!

Then it got into this loop of "Begin Gfx firmware load process" steps as reflected in the second screenshot below. It must've cycled through this 50 or more times. I lost track and actually walked away to get a drink, and when I came back my login screen was up! So I've logged in and am successfully playing around.

Scrolling through 1080p x264 videos in quick view feels snappier, and I have yet to run into the Window Server freezes that have plagued me in that scenario.

So it seems like maybe the Alpine Ridge controller is my main culprit on that kernel panic. In googling that KP message, it seems like it maybe related to the AptioMemoryFix driver versions...

Before I try to muck with reintroducing Alpine Ridge, do I need to replace any of the ACPI patches, etc.?

Jim, you are the man. I'd mucked with this for hours and hours without getting to this point. I should've probably known to pull an extra component like the TB card, but sometimes you just need someone to remind you of the right steps!

EDIT: Now with 100% more screenshots!

Attachments

• KP.JPG
    KP.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
  • loop.JPG
    loop.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back