Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hi, the HS is the current version in the app store, 10.13.6. I'm reviewing the BIOS settings and found that for some reason the settings selections (taken directly from this Golden Build) didn't seem to hold between boots. I'm trying again before trying your trouble shooting recommendations.
PS I redid Bios settings, double confirmed, and had same error on UniBeast install attempt. I am also downloading the "combo update" of 10.13.5 to see if that may solve the issue.

Thank you for your help!

Right now my build is running great (with the EFI provided by @jb007). I just need to understand why HS security update makes my igfx firmware problem reappears. But since I plan on buying a RX580 soon, I won't need iGFX enabled... So I'm not sure I will bother debbuging this.

However, I'm planning on buying an Alpine Ridge card to get Thunderbolt ports for a new audio interface (probably Focusrite's Clarett). I'm aware the Titan Ridge is now available, but I read in this thread that the Alpine Ridge is best suited for HS.

What I was wondering is what would be the best TH3 to TH2 adapter? @jiffyslot What is the one you're using? The one from Apple, or the one from Startech? I found a lot of information about thunderbolt adapters on this forum, but what would be very valuable to me would be to know which one works and which one fails to connect a thunderbolt audio interface to our build. Apparently some users report difficulties to get their thunderbolt peripherals working with the cheaper Apple adapter, but some others have no problems with it...

Ps. : Happy new Year to everyone, may 2019 bring you health and joy, but more importantly the hackintosh you deserve!

Thanks. I'm using the Alpine Ridge card.

Ehh... If I were buying a new interface, it wouldn't be Thunderbolt unless I were using a genuine Mac or a Windows machine. Wait until NAMM is over and see if anyone (Focusrite included) puts out a new USB 3.1 or Ethernet-connected box. I'm only doing this thing because I blasted a load on an overkill UAD Apollo 8 Quad, so I'm locked into Thunderbolt. I use only Apple Thunderbolt cables and dongles. -And they work perfectly in Windows 10, too: Both TB ports work in Windows 10 along with hot-swap.

Important note: Unless someone here has cracked the diabolical Thunderbolt mystery with a patch, you'll only be able to use your Thunderbolt device if you power up the device before powering-up your computer: If you switch-off your Thunderbolt interface, you will not get it back unless you turn off the computer, turn on your device, and restart your computer.

For some, this is a deal-breaker, also because you can only use 1 Thunderbolt port and daisy-chaining doesn't work. Use an interface via the Intel Ethernet, USB 3, or USB C that is native/onboard the MOBO. You'll thank me later. LMK what you end up doing.

Thanks. I'm using the Alpine Ridge card.

Ehh... If I were buying a new interface, it wouldn't be Thunderbolt unless I were using a genuine Mac or a Windows machine. Wait until NAMM is over and see if anyone (Focusrite included) puts out a new USB 3.1 or Ethernet-connected box. I'm only doing this thing because I blasted a load on a an overkill UAD Apollo 8 Quad, so I'm locked into Thunderbolt. I use only Apple Thunderbolt cables and dongles. -And they work perfectly in Windows 10, too: Both TB ports work in Windows 10 along with hot-swap.

Important note: Unless someone here has cracked the diabolical Thunderbolt mystery with a patch, you'll only be able to use your Thunderbolt device if you power up the device before powering-up your computer: If you switch-off your Thunderbolt interface, you will not get it back unless you turn off the computer, turn on your device, and restart your computer.

For some, this is a deal-breaker, also because you can only use 1 Thunderbolt port and daisy-chaining doesn't work. Use an interface via the Intel Ethernet, USB 3, or USB C that is native/onboard the MOBO. You'll thank me later. LMK what you end up doing.

I received my OCW TB3 to 10G Ethernet adapter today and spent many hours playing with it!

I have it hot-plugging and connecting (can only use one port ATM). Sleep is an issue, it wakes it up immediately from sleep.

Works fine in Windows 10 Pro 1809 and I also have a USB-C hub with SD card reader working.

I'm not sure as to whether I will keep on fighting to get it to work on macOS, and it's not as important to me whether I run macOS or Windows, as my use-case is a lot different, and if anything it is biased towards Linux and Windows.

But as it stands ATM, it is working fine as long as I don't want to sleep or use the second TB3 port.

Tommorow I plan to see if it works under Linux, I have previously had the TB3 card working, but no TB3 device to test!

Jim

OK, then we're talking about the same key :)

I tried a Logitec Elite Keyboard (wired / USB version, from ± 2002) and a 'full size' Apple keyboard from 2008 (came with the Mac Pro early 2008).

The screen responds to keystrokes (with another copy of the same text) so the computer is 'seeing' the USB keyboard.

I did done some googling and read that it's possible that the board is set to skip the BIOS by the previous owner. 'Fast Startup Mode' or something. So I reset the board via removing the battery. Didn't help. Tried the jumper-methode. Also didn't help.

Removed V-NAND SSD, VEGA GPU and RAM. -> No screen.
Put back the RAM -> screen with BIOS!!!

Put back the V-NAND SSD -> straight back to the “Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key” and can't get into BIOS.

LOGITECH-ELITE-KEYBOARD.jpg

OK, then we're talking about the same key :)

I tried a Logitec Elite Keyboard (wired / USB version, from ± 2002) and a 'full size' Apple keyboard from 2008 (came with the Mac Pro early 2008).

The screen responds to keystrokes (with another copy of the same text) so the computer is 'seeing' the USB keyboard.

I did done some googling and read that it's possible that the board is set to skip the BIOS by the previous owner. 'Fast Startup Mode' or something. So I reset the board via removing the battery. Didn't help. Tried the jumper-methode. Also didn't help.

Removed V-NAND SSD, VEGA GPU and RAM. -> No screen.
Put back the RAM -> screen with BIOS!!!

Put back the V-NAND SSD -> straight back to the “Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key” and can't get into BIOS.

LOGITECH-ELITE-KEYBOARD.jpg

Are you seeing the Aorus startup screen? Removing the battery / using the jumpers should have reset the BIOS (and deactivated fast BIOS if it was activated by previous owner). Maybe try to reset the CMOS using the reset CMOS button (it's located between the restart button and the OC button on the mobo, see Gigabyte's manual p. 23, if you're using the gaming 7).

Happy New Year, guys!

I’m back from the holiday season and was working on macOS as well as playing on Win10 and occasionally experienced (rare but annoyingly noticable) freezes / kernel panics.

After running memtest86 I’m now pretty certain that these hickups are not related to the SDSD that @jb007 provided but rather with my faulty RAM :(

611D8047-73BC-46EC-B253-FC5E051B9B75.jpeg

I’ll report back after I got a replacement.

PS: Has anyone else experiences such problems with Corsair? Actually I’m pretty shocked that a premium component I paid $ 200 for is faulty on arrival.

I don't have Corsair RAM, I've got 32GB of G.Skill 3600MHz RAM. Blindingly fast. I do have Corsair RM850i power supply, ML Fans, K95P keyboard, Glaive mouse and H110i AIO cooling, so far no issues.

Are you O/C your RAM? If so is the memory test running on the O/C RAM or its default speed? Are these RAM modules on the Gigabyte RAM list found here?

I guess the best thing is that you have found your problem, and hopefully can return them for credit or another brand, maybe a speed increase?

I'm glad that it was not my SSDT!

Never had it with new memory, but I'm pretty sure the original two dimms in my 2008 Mac Pro are busted. The other (OWC) modules seem OK.

Hi @e-troc and others, sorry for the late reply, but work and Christmas has got in the way. Re: the missing USB port, this is I believe because macOS Mohave only supports a maximum of 15 ports. I have been able to replicate this and I think the solution is to remove one or two of the internal ports from the SSDT. My understanding is that every USB3 port (ones attached to the Intel chipsets) counts as two, and the USB2 ports as one.

I can confirm this. I've used your SSDT-UIAC-EC-18.3.aml as a reference and figured out how to create and compile another SSDT based on your port discovery (which is the much more daunting part of the process, creating the SSDT is actually pretty straight forward I reckon).
After removing one of the internal USB 2.0 headers I have now all ports working (the formerly missing rear panel USB 3.0 port appears to have a limited transfer rate).
I have attached SSDT-UIAC-NoHS09HS10.aml if anyone wants to try it. It is essentially identical to the SSDT by jb007 (see here) except for the removed internal USB 2.0 header (HS09/HS10) as shown in the following image:

Screenshot 2019-01-08 at 11.53.16.png
@Gothic4684: Does this fix the missing port on your system, too?
@jb007: I think the list of internal USB 2.0 headers in the Mini Guide should state "F_USB1" for HS07 and HS08.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-NoHS09HS10.aml
    621 bytes · Views: 80
I can confirm this. I've used your SSDT-UIAC-EC-18.3.aml as a reference and figured out how to create and compile another SSDT based on your port discovery (which is the much more daunting part of the process, creating the SSDT is actually pretty straight forward I reckon).
After removing one of the internal USB 2.0 headers I have now all ports working (the formerly missing rear panel USB 3.0 port appears to have a limited transfer rate).
I have attached SSDT-UIAC-NoHS09HS10.aml if anyone wants to try it. It is essentially identical to the SSDT by jb007 (see here) except for the removed internal USB 2.0 header (HS09/HS10) as shown in the following image:

View attachment 377574
@Gothic4684: Does this fix the missing port on your system, too?
@jb007: I think the list of internal USB 2.0 headers in the Mini Guide should state "F_USB1" for HS07 and HS08.
Thanks @e-troc, I've updated the mini guide... must have been asleep when I wrote it! Glad you now have your USB ports working.

Back