Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I am looking to add Windows 10/11 to my current Mackintosh system running on High Sierra with Clover (4722).

I haven't updated my system since I configured it. Runs super smooth. Only want to add Win so I can game.

What's the best/easiest way of doing this? Can easily add Win a different drive.
Do I need to change some settings in Clover? Should I upgrade to OC?

Any help is appreciated?

System: 8700k - Z370 Gaming 7 - 32GB Ram - GTX1080 - High Sierra - Clover
I recommend that you password lock your BIOS setup so that Windows can't change anything. BIOS<Security option<Setup. Use a separate SSD for Windows, for sure.

Hey guys!

So I’m planning to buy a Radeon 6600 during black friday for my hackintosh, along with a WD blue m2 ssd, and maybe some ram. I’d like to update my system to Monterey and I chose the 6600 because it’s supported in Monterey and the price is now reasonably low.

Only problem is my huge ass CPU Heatsink/fans

problem.jpg

As you can see the pcie 16x port is very near the CPU fan, and I doubt any 6600 will fit. I checked their dimension and I think all of them are too big to fit (being approximatively 4cm / 1.75 inches wide)

I figured I can always use the middle 8x port, but this wouldn't be optimal since I suppose with half the bandwidth, I will get half the performance or so (I’m not sure of this though, feel free to correct me on this).

Do you have any idea how I can use this port?

I wonder If I did something wrong here, because it seems weird to me that manufacturers wouldn’t take these parameters in consideration...

Btw, does anybody else have put their machine in a G5 case ? I think it's classy yet incredibly inconvenient :lol:

open.jpg

optimal cable management with custom made mess hiding panel

ssd.jpg

Airblock™ airflow SSD blocking system

hdd.jpg

State of the art HDD Heatsink (yes, I miscalculated and had to drill a second hole)

Last edited:
Hey guys!

So I’m planning to buy a Radeon 6600 during black friday for my hackintosh, along with a WD blue m2 ssd, and maybe some ram. I’d like to update my system to Monterey and I chose the 6600 because it’s supported in Monterey and the price is now reasonably low.

View attachment 574130

As you can see the pcie 16x port is very near the CPU fan, and I doubt any 6600 will fit. I checked their dimension and I think all of them are too big to fit (being approximatively 4cm / 1.75 inches wide)

I figured I can always use the middle 8x port, but this wouldn't be optimal since I suppose with half the bandwidth, I will get half the performance or so (I’m not sure of this though, feel free to correct me on this).

I wonder If I did something wrong here, because it seems weird to me that manufacturers wouldn’t take these parameters in consideration...

Btw, does anybody else have put their machine in a G5 case ? I think it's classy yet incredibly inconvenient :lol:

View attachment 574131

View attachment 574132

View attachment 574133
State of the art HDD Heatsink (yes, I miscalculated and had to drill a second hole)
Hi.

I guess the real problem is that normally the CPU fan would be mounted on the left side of the heatsink as we see it in your photo, blowing air through the heatsink and out of the case back.

I can understand you may have made certain choices because of the G5 case, but ... I think that's the crux of your problem.

:)

It won't make any difference putting it in the x8 slot. It's a x8 card to begin with. So if you don't want to re-orient the cooler so the fan faces the front of the case, you could certainly use that slot.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

If this is primarily an audio production rig it really would make no difference even with a x16 card. Audio production isn't graphically demanding, even the iGPU will work.

Hi.

I guess the real problem is that normally the CPU fan would be mounted on the left side of the heatsink as we see it in your photo, blowing air through the heatsink and out of the case back.

I can understand you may have made certain choices because of the G5 case, but ... I think that's the crux of your problem.

:)
To be honest I didn't know I had the option to orient it this way. But anyway, as you can see, I think it wasn't really an option due to the G5 rather inconvenient form factor.

It won't make any difference putting it in the x8 slot. It's a x8 card to begin with. So if you don't want to re-orient the cooler so the fan faces the front of the case, you could certainly use that slot.

I don't think I have sufficient space to re-orient it but I'll sure try since I'm gonna have to detach the Heatsink from the mobo to install the M2 drive anyway.
Thank you for this information @trs96 :)
As a matter of fact I use this build mainly for audio and some video editing too. The reason I was asking this is that I'll occasionally indulge in some gaming sessions. I though it would maybe be of importance for this use, but then again, if this is a x8 card it won't change anything.

Hey guys!

View attachment 574130

View attachment 574131

View attachment 574132

View attachment 574133

I would say spend a little more and get an AIO, ditch your front case fans and mount the radiator there. then you will have a huge wealth of space.

Hello,

So I’ve upgraded my system with a Radeon RX660 and did a Clean install with OpenCore. Overall I’m very glad I did, and it usually works very well. However, I am encountering two annoying issues.

1/ Ever since I performed the install following Dortania’s guide, I've been experiencing unexpected restarts just before the macOS login screen. Sometimes I get several reboots in a row before I reach MacOS login screen.

I compared the OpenCore logs from when macOS successfully boots to when it crashes and restarts, but I couldn't find any error explaining this issue.

Sometimes I get this error:

AAPL: #[EB.WL.PWLFRTC|NONE]AAPL: #[EB.WL.DT|!] Err(0xE) <- EB.WL.PWLFRTC

but it occurs regardless of whether macOS launches successfully or not.

Sometimes I have this instead :

AAPL: #[EB|WL:DT] 0xd28e7ffa

Again, it does not seem to be correlated with a successful boot or a failure to boot.

I initially thought the problem was related to the “slide=xx” boot argument, which is random by default, if I understand correctly. It seems to me that this argument is linked to memory management, and certain settings can cause kernel panics (which might explain my restarts). But I have two logs where the same 85 value was used, and one failed to boot while the other one succeeded.

Also, I read in the Dortania’s guide that updating the BIOS could resolve similar issues. Would updating the BIOS be a better solution? (It's currently version F10)

2/ I have a second problem: I updated Monterey to version 12.7.4. Since then, I've also been experiencing crashes and restarts upon waking from sleep. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Back