Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 5 + Intel Core i7-8700K + Lenovo L24q QHD 2K @ 60Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Coffee Lake i7 8700K
Shmob7's "Silver Hackintosh" Build:
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 - i7-8700K

OW00Z03.jpg

Components

Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard (Amazon)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) Memory (Amazon)

Intel Core i7-8700K Processor (Amazon)

Cooler Master Hyper RR-212E CPU Cooler with PWM Fan (Amazon)

Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND M.2 SSD - macOS Boot Drive (Amazon)

EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 750W Power Supply (Amazon)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv PH-ES515E_GS Computer Case (Amazon)

Lenovo L24q 24-inch 2K QHD Monitor (Silver) (Amazon)

FV-T919 Desktop 802.11AC Wifi Bluetooth 4.0 (eBay)

Logitech HD Laptop Webcam C615 1080p (Amazon)

Arctic Silver 5 AS5-3.5G Thermal Paste (Amazon)

Silver Apple Decals (eBay)

Optional adapters (explained further below):

Edimax AC1750 Dual-Band WiFi USB 3.0 Adapter (Amazon)

GMYLE Bluetooth Adapter Dongle (Amazon)

UsTNJgR.png

Comments

So, yeah, I have no GPU. I decided to skip it for now, and get it later on. For now I wanted to share my build and experience, and I plan to update this post with more images and more details when I am able to. I hope this helps some people out there who have these specs, or who want these specs.

I loved what I read at this post, so I pretty much replicated it, and I really want to thank HackaShaq for the help within his post, as well as his responses to me on a ****** post. Most of the details that you probably need are there, though I will aim to provide details of my specific experience. Additionally, I do think you should avoid UniBeast, or any "Beast" software, and follow the Vanilla Guide to install macOS. It is much cleaner that way, and will leave you with less issues down the road.

Notes on Components above:
  1. WiFi: As of this writing, I currently use the Edimax USB3 WiFi Adapter for internet access, which works flawlessly. You just need to install the driver from their website. What it doesn't do, however, is support Handoff and Continuity. For this reason, I will be using the Fenvi T919 PCIe Card, which supposedly supports macOS out of the box, therefore enabling Handoff and Continuity capabilities. I will be updating this post with my experience.
  2. Bluetooth: As of this writing, I currently am not using Bluetooth. Both my Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad are connected via Lightning, which is slightly annoying, but does the job for now. From what I hear, the GMYLE Adapter works out of the box.
  3. Logitech Webcam: This works out of the box. All you need to do is plug it into a USB port, and it just works. I don't think it's as good as the iSight camera, even though technically it should be, given that it's 1080p where the iSight camera is 720p. But, it's pretty solid.

Here is where you should pay attention, so you do not make the same mistake I did. The Gaming 5 has an on-board WiFi/Bluetooth card that is NOT SUPPORTED on macOS, as it is an Intel card. I thought for some reason it would work, and did not research this specifically. And it gets tricky: WiFi does not even show up as an option with this built-in card. OK, so use a supported PCIe card like the Fenvi, great. But when it comes to Bluetooth, macOS thinks that Bluetooth works, but it really doesn't. So, when I tried to use my GMYLE Adapter, macOS still tried to use the Gaming 5's WiFi/Bluetooth card for Bluetooth. Hence, not allowing me to use Bluetooth at all. So, as you may or may not guess, I now have to remove the on-board WiFi card, which is the only way I will be able to use my PCIe card successfully. I can only assume this voids the warranty, so I do not recommend it, but I personally will be trying it.

Basically, you might want a motherboard that does not have any WiFi or Bluetooth card, so you can just use one that is supported without conflicts. Though, the Gaming 5 really works for every other aspect.

Final Thoughts

As a quick background, I've been working with a 15" MacBook Pro Retina from Mid-2014, and I just sold it in order to buy the parts for this build. It was top of the line at the time, with a 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and the Haswell i7 Processor (I believe). I spent maybe $200 extra for these parts, and saved at least $2K by not buying a Mac with these specs from Apple.

I'm not a gamer, and I do not do any hard-core video editing or Photoshopping. I video edit and do some photo editing as a hobby, and this machine is perfect for my individual needs. I'm a software developer, so I am never in any real need for graphics processing. This is the reason I chose to go with a great processor, and no GPU. I'm totally good with a 13" MBP that just has a crazy beast processor, which is pretty much what my build is, specs wise.

I use a Windows 10 VM in Parallels, as well as an Ubuntu VM in Virtualbox, and both work flawlessly (for regular usage of course). My 2K (1440p) monitor works great, and I really just have zero issue with graphics, for the work that I do. I'm thinking of eventually adding a GPU, but I honestly won't ever actually need one. I built this hack so I have unlimited options in the future, in regards to swapping out parts, adding SSDs or HDDs, as this tower is super big. And I just wanted a really great modern computer with macOS.
------​

I will be updating this post with my WiFi/Bluetooth results. I hope I will be able to have real Handoff/Continuity support, as well as Bluetooth for my Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad. Stay tuned.​
UPDATE:

I did it! It was a bit nerve-racking at first glance of the motherboard and all its screwdrivers and all, but I figured it out. It's basically 3 screws (red circles) on the back that I needed to unscrew in order to remove the AORUS plastic cover, which is over the WiFi card, along with the rest of the ports. Once I managed that, the cover sorta hung off by the LED wires, but it wasn't really a big deal. In the end I got it all back together as it came. Sorry I didn't take more pictures, I completely forgot, as I was just so worried about doing all this correctly.

TGpXwHp.jpg

So, after that, I needed to remove the two screws (blue circles) that held down the WiFi card "box" into the MoBo, which I just removed completely, as I do not need it, as I am using the Fenvi. Then I just installed the Fenvi PCIe card, and everything works! My Magic Keyboard 2 and Magic Trackpad 2 work flawlessly via Bluetooth, and WiFi works (I'm getting 480mbps - I am paying for 400). Handoff took a while to actually start working, but all of a sudden it began working like 2 days later. I am not sure if it had to do with some signing in and out of iCloud that I did.

Bottom line, go with the Fenvi. It is affordable, and it does it all.

6uvrYLG.png

Last edited:
Good build and well done :thumbup:

By the way, for me a lot of the Amazon build component links don't work. Maybe my end, not sure. Still I just searched each item myself etc.

You've done all the hard work so now you can relax and enjoy doing stuff! :thumbup:

Yes, the onboard wireless/BT always seems to be Intel and although some clever people are working on it, so far it's no-go. I can't tell from the motherboard photos, but guess the card is hidden in a metal shroud next to the back panel and under the heatsink? A pity because in a more 'open' position, like on some ITX boards, you can use an adapter in the slot with a genuine Mac wifi/BT card.

The Fenvi card should give you everything a Mac would. I used one for a while and they are fine - continuity, handoff, Airdrop etc. Doesn't need any drivers, unlike the Edimax. I used a TP-Link of similar type along with their beta drivers. But in your aim to be 'Vanilla' it means extra drivers you don't need with the Fenvi etc.

Also, the 'Vanilla" mantra can easily be achieved using UniBeast and MultBeast. The Library/Extensions folder is used for third-party kexts by Apple anyway. System/Library/Extensions gets populated with Nvidia drivers if you ever decide to get a Nvidia GPU in future. Also Audio modifies a kext here.

Anything that gets put in L/E you should able to move to EFI. FakeSMC.kext can be moved safely here too. Just move manually and then rebuild caches with Terminal and reboot.

My very first hackintosh, way back in the day when Dinosaurs still ruled the Earth, was created manually, before I discovered Tonymacx86. I have to say the options and built-in safety make using Tonymacx86 tools and utilities a much easier route. Their apps install correctly with a 'helper' and 'Receipt'. Very professional.

Would love to see a photo or two of that case - like HackaShaq's.

Keep us posted on developments.

:)

Last edited:
Good build and well done :thumbup:

By the way, for me a lot of the Amazon build component links don't work. Maybe my end, not sure. Still I just searched each item myself etc.

You've done all the hard work so now you can relax and enjoy doing stuff! :thumbup:

Yes, the onboard wireless/BT always seems to be Intel and although some clever people are working on it, so far it's no-go. I can't tell from the motherboard photos, but guess the card is hidden in a metal shroud next to the back panel and under the heatsink? A pity because in a more 'open' position, like on some ITX boards, you can use an adapter in the slot with a genuine Mac wifi/BT card.

The Fenvi card should give you everything a Mac would. I used one for a while and they are fine - continuity, handoff, Airdrop etc. Doesn't need any drivers, unlike the Edimax. I used a TP-Link of similar type along with their beta drivers. But in your aim to be 'Vanilla' it means extra drivers you don't need with the Fenvi etc.

Also, the 'Vanilla" mantra can easily be achieved using UniBeast and MultBeast. The Library/Extensions folder is used for third-party kexts by Apple anyway. System/Library/Extensions gets populated with Nvidia drivers if you ever decide to get a Nvidia GPU in future. Also Audio modifies a kext here.

Anything that gets put in L/E you should able to move to EFI. FakeSMC.kext can be moved safely here too. Just move manually and then rebuild caches with Terminal and reboot.

My very first mackintosh, way back in the day when Dinosaurs still ruled the Earth, was created manually, before I discovered Tonymacx86. I have to say the options and built-in safety make using Tonymacx86 tools and utilities a much easier route. Their apps install correctly with a 'helper' and 'Receipt'. Very professional.

Would love to see a photo or two of that case - like HackaShaq's.

Keep us posted on developments.

:)
Thanks! I fixed the links, they should work now. :)

Just a note for anyone wanting the case pictured in post #1 of this thread. It is out of stock at both Newegg and Amazon.com. It may still be available in the EU or other countries. If you are in the USA the closest you can get is a silver version with TG panels on both the left and right sides. You can still get one at Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811854040

Due to the popularity of HackaShaq's Golden build and close out pricing, all the silver versions with one Aluminum side panel are long gone. Looks like there are still some of the black and gray versions with AL side panels. Best price appears to be at Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811854022

Just a note for anyone wanting the case pictured in post #1 of this thread. It is out of stock at both Newegg and Amazon.com. It may still be available in the EU or other countries. If you are in the USA the closest you can get is a silver version with TG panels on both the left and right sides. You can still get one at Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811854040

Due to the popularity of HackaShaq's Golden build and close out pricing, all the silver versions with one Aluminum side panel are long gone. Looks like there are still some of the black and gray versions with AL side panels.
I legit got the last one on Amazon LOL

Moved from User Builds to High Sierra Desktop Support as the OP didn't not conform to the User Builds Template's conditions.

Moved from User Builds to High Sierra Desktop Support as the OP didn't not conform to the User Builds Template's conditions.
Oh, alright.. I have been planning to update this as I complete the WiFi/BT situation, so I'll make it into the correct format when I do that

Nice build!

Did you update to Mojave yet?

I choose the same motherboard because of the successful builds on this site. I got everything working, although I have a few minor things I'm still trying to decide if they are 'normal' or not.

For example, the Vega 56 card often goes to a black screen for a few seconds, just after starting up in macOS. Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does this 5, 6, 7 times in the first 10 minutes.

Also, to get to the BIOS or other BIOS-like functions, I need to keep tapping the DELETE key. Just holding it doesn't get my in the BIOS. I think this is strange since the tapping is not mentioned in the manual.

1) Do you have to keep tapping it too?
2) What BIOS version do you use?

Yes, I am on the latest macOS Mojave version. Everything still works great! I do not know much about using a GPU, especially that one. I am using just the iGPU in my 8700K CPU. I never experienced the black screen when I was using just 1 monitor, but I recently added a second monitor, and any time I wake the screen up, it turns on, then goes black for about 5 seconds, then turns back on. After that, it does not happen (until the display is off again, then I do this again). Doesn't bother me too much.

I'm not sure what BIOS version I use, I assume I can just check that in the BIOS settings somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back