Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 - 4k RX 580 - 10.13.4 & 10.14.4 & 10.15.0 - SSDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi James, I'm running into a few issues with the exact same setup as you: Gaming 5, RX580, 8700k.

Things I'm running into:
- I've got 3 monitors. The outer ones don't work. When I revert to Mac 14.2, they work, but my drives seem to be really slow that way.
- How can I make all the USB Drives work? Should I just put your USBInjectAll.kext & XHCI-200-series-injector.kext in the kext/other folder and your SSDT-UIAC.aml (see attachment) to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched?
I already did the 'Increase Max Port Limit 200 series' via Multibeast

I only use a single monitor 4k on Display Port. I would not be able to tell as I do not own other monitors.

Yes, but remove the Inscrease Max Port Limit 200 series. If your USB Ports on your case are not working, then they are connected to the port I havn't tested (see pictures). Swap the connector to the right one or edit my SSDT.

For the bluetooth part, I did run in the same issue as you : Bluetooth detected, it looked in System Preference like it was searching for devices, however no devices were ever discovered. It took me a while to fix that.

1. The antenna MUST be connect. It really MUST no matter how close you are.
--> It worked for a day than it stopped. No bluetooth device were discovered once again.
2. I installed Windows 10, and noticed the same issue. It was detecting I have bluetooth, but no way to discover any device. Also, it showed in the tray (bottom right) like I had a USB Device connected and it was the Bluetooth from the motherboard. For some reason, it kept connecting/disconnecting repeatedly. I though my motherboard was broken. I turned off the computer, turned off the power switch from the Power Supply (or just unplug electricity cable) for about 30 seconds, booted back to Windows and bam, Bluetooth was working once again. Rebooted to Mac OS and bam, Bluetooth was also working.

So it might sounds weird, but just disconnect your PC power cord for 30 seconds, boot back to Mac OS and see

Wow!! I built a system a few days ago with the same motherboard and cpu, and I had the EXACT same experience with the built-in bluetooth!!! And I had the same reactions as you. I also thought that the motherboard might be broken until I read your post just now. Pretty crazy.

Wow!! I built a system a few days ago with the same motherboard and cpu, and I had the EXACT same experience with the built-in bluetooth!!! And I had the same reactions as you. I also thought that the motherboard might be broken until I read your post just now. Pretty crazy.

Glad I helped ! Do you mean you also had to turn off the power supply to get the Bluetooth back working ? :O

Glad I helped ! Do you mean you also had to turn off the power supply to get the Bluetooth back working ? :O

If I remember right, I turned off the power supply and went to sleep (feeling sad). Next morning it started working in Windows without changing anything, and then started working in Mac too! And it has worked perfectly every since!

I went through all the same issues. At first I spent some until I figured out the antenna had to be connected. :banghead: Then it worked perfectly for about 24 hours, but then it suddenly stopped working! Booted into Windows, and it was in a weird state, connecting/disconnecting in the "Manage Bluetooth Devices" screen. Re-installed windows drivers, ran troubleshooting, nothing could fix it. Next morning, it started working on both Window and Mac. :eek:

If I remember right, I turned off the power supply and went to sleep (feeling sad). Next morning it started working in Windows without changing anything, and then started working in Mac too! And it has worked perfectly every since!

I went through all the same issues. At first I spent some until I figured out the antenna had to be connected. :banghead: Then it worked perfectly for about 24 hours, but then it suddenly stopped working! Booted into Windows, and it was in a weird state, connecting/disconnecting in the "Manage Bluetooth Devices" screen. Re-installed windows drivers, ran troubleshooting, nothing could fix it. Next morning, it started working on both Window and Mac. :eek:

It only happened once to me, but I only have this build since like 3 weeks

@jamesst20 I see you used Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (I assume you boot from it). So far I've installed High Sierra to a 2.5'' Samsung 850 EVO, but I am thinking of getting a Samsung 960 EVO M.2. Do you know if this is natively supported with High Sierra? I've read about NVMe SSD compatibility and patching (e.g. here) but I'm still not sure if I need any patching for this. It's something about block size compatibility. Did you need to do anything to install and boot from this SSD? Also, is it as fast as it's supposed to be?

And another question, about the USB 3.1 red port on the back of the board. It's working for me without applying any patch or kext. It was actually the only usb 3 working out of the box. I saw you mention in your attached photo that RehabMan said it's probably a TB or non-intel controller. Do you know if it's safe to use? Is it working for you? I have actually used a usb hub and connected 4 external hard drives to it and haven't noticed any issues so far.

Btw, thank you for attaching the SSDT for the proper USB injections for this board.

@jamesst20 I see you used Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (I assume you boot from it). So far I've installed High Sierra to a 2.5'' Samsung 850 EVO, but I am thinking of getting a Samsung 960 EVO M.2. Do you know if this is natively supported with High Sierra? I've read about NVMe SSD compatibility and patching (e.g. here) but I'm still not sure if I need any patching for this. It's something about block size compatibility. Did you need to do anything to install and boot from this SSD? Also, is it as fast as it's supposed to be?

And another question, about the USB 3.1 red port on the back of the board. It's working for me without applying any patch or kext. It was actually the only usb 3 working out of the box. I saw you mention in your attached photo that RehabMan said it's probably a TB or non-intel controller. Do you know if it's safe to use? Is it working for you? I have actually used a usb hub and connected 4 external hard drives to it and haven't noticed any issues so far.

Btw, thank you for attaching the SSDT for the proper USB injections for this board.

Yes the USB 3.1 Hub with type-c is natively supported and not part of the Intel controller. These port should always be working even if the others are not because it is not affected by USBInjectAll and the SSDT.

I am glad my SSDT could help others :)

For the Samsung 960 EVO, they do work out of the box, I did not do anything special, it is just as if they were normal SATA SSD.

For the speed, it varies. I believe they should benchmark much more in some parts, and this might be because I am using APFS. Would you mind benchmarking your SSD with the same software and settings (1x 1GB) (see attachment) of my screenshot ?
evo 960 speed james.png

Attachments

• AmorphousDiskMark.zip
    458.4 KB · Views: 197
Would you mind benchmarking your SSD with the same software (see attachment) of my screenshot ?

Sure, here you go:

Screenshot 2018-04-21 02.42.33.png

I've used APFS too but I'm thinking of re-doing the installation with HFS, just to be on the safer side.

Sure, here you go:

View attachment 326892

I've used APFS too but I'm thinking of re-doing the installation with HFS, just to be on the safer side.

As you can see, you beat me at some scores, and I am pretty sure it is because of an incompatibility with APFS right now :)

As you can see, you beat me at some scores, and I am pretty sure it is because of an incompatibility with APFS right now

Yeah, I see. I will probably go for the Samsung 960 with HFS soon. Will get back to you when I have new benchmark results.

By the way, I see you're using 4K. Sorry if it's off topic but could you recommend a good 4K monitor, as close as possible to an iMac display? After being used to a Retina screen, my eyes are hurting with this old 1050 display. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back