Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 - i7-8700K - Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB -

Status
Not open for further replies.
RawShark's beast
- Video Editing Work Station -

This is my first hackintosh build and it's my first time using water cooling in a build.

Components
  • GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8700K
  • Corsair Hydro Series H75 (CPU Watercooling)
  • Ballistix DIMM 64 GB DDR4-2666 Quad-Kit
  • 2 x Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB
  • Samsung SSD 840 500 GB
  • BlueRay Writer ASUS BW-16D1HT/G
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Water Cooling (8GB, High End)
  • TP-Link Archer T9E
  • Corsair HX850
  • Cooler master Cosmos SE
Waiting For
  • Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE 2.0 Card (Thunderbolt)
  • Syba SD-PEX30009 (Firewire 2x800, 400)
Not Working
  • Intel Optane SSD 32GB
  • StarTech PEX1394B3LP (Firewire)
    I used this Thread here, and didn't read it to the end, my bad ...
    It is actually very high ranked in the search results for being that old and outdated, maybe it should be closed ...

Geekbench

CPU: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10342831
GPU: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/3058174

Even running the Geekbench Tests, doesn't get the Fans running on high rpm ...
The CPU stays between 37°C and 54°C, which is only there for short peaks, which are going down very fast when the pump kicks in. Fans are running only moderate.

Installation High Sierra

Caveats
Let some insights into the iterations it took me.

I spend some rounds until I got the Clover, and then the Installer Booting.
Here is my recap of what went wrong, in the order of things happening ;)
  1. Do not ever forget to plug in the cooling pump power cable
    1. but I was lucky ... only having Temperatures around 85°C with no harm done
    2. It's a general good idea to first check the fans and temperatures in your bios
  2. To get clover to boot, for the default HW configuration, i had to use nvme=-1
    1. Bad thing, no discs, because I had planned to use only the Samsung 970 EVO M.2
    2. Installed a Samsung 840, which was also challenging
      1. Because SATA and the M.2 are on Shared Buses, its either or for certain of the SATA Ports, when M.2 is installed. The Manual for the Mainboard is not correct about which SATA Ports are available, and which not.
        For me working are 2,3 (Installed M.2 SSD on M2M_32G and M2A_32G), 1 and 4 are not working and using 0 caused the System to slow down extremely ... still have to check Port 5
    3. The overall Problem here was the Intel OPTANE 32GB SSD, which was preinstalled on the board. This caused a nvme Kernel Panic (timed-out). Removing it, and only using the Samung 960 EVO solved the problem
  3. Because I was already in the middle of installing on the 840 SSD, when I realized that the OPTANE was the problem, I decided to mirror the SATA SSD to the M.2 ...
    1. Mirror the Disk
      1. boot into the installer again
      2. Start Terminal and use dd for mirroring
        1. dd if=/dev/diskX of=/dev/diskY bs=512
          Be really sure to have a good look at your disks with the diskutil list command the of disk will be destroid
          The first disk (if) may be mounted, the second has to be unmounted (unmount any filesystem mounted of this disk)
          You have to use the whole disk (so dont address partitions like disk2s2 but use disk2)
    2. Resize Partition
      1. Because the Sata SSD is 500GB and the M.2 is 1 TB, I had to resize the Partitions, another challenge
        1. diskutil won't help here, because the disk has 3 Partitions (EFI, System Drive, Rescue) and the partition to resize is in the middle
        2. used gparted live on a CD, which was able to first move the rescue partition and the resize the System Partition
  4. All my attempts to get the StarTech FireWire Card running resulted in a hanging System, waiting for the Card
Pictures are coming soon ...

rawshark

Attachments

• nastybeastPro.mb
    6.3 KB · Views: 159
  • config.plist
    6.3 KB · Views: 240
Yes Intel optane doesn’t seem to work with macOS.

Regarding your Nvme M.2 and Sata Ports. The manual is a bit confusing in the beginning but what you have to do in your case is to:
remove the Intel Optane Module (as it doesn’t work anyway)

install the 2 NVME M.2 SSDs in the middle (M2A_32G) and bottom (M2P_32G)m.2 slot.
When you use a NVME SSD in the M2A_32G slot you will be able to use all SATA Ports.
When you use the M2P_32G slot only the PCIEX4 slot will share some Bandwith with the m.2 slot and will only operate at 2x Speeds.

Only if you use the top m.2 (M2M_32G) slot you will loose SATA 4 & SATA 5.

RawShark's beast
- Video Editing Work Station -

This is my first hackintosh build and it's my first time using water cooling in a build.

Components
  • GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8700K
  • Corsair Hydro Series H75 (CPU Watercooling)
  • Ballistix DIMM 64 GB DDR4-2666 Quad-Kit
  • 2 x Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB
  • Samsung SSD 840 500 GB
  • BlueRay Writer ASUS BW-16D1HT/G
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Water Cooling (8GB, High End)
  • TP-Link Archer T9E
  • Corsair HX850
  • Cooler master Cosmos SE
Waiting For
  • Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE 2.0 Card (Thunderbolt)
  • Syba SD-PEX30009 (Firewire 2x800, 400)
Not Working
  • Intel Optane SSD 32GB
  • StarTech PEX1394B3LP (Firewire)
    I used this Thread here, and didn't read it to the end, my bad ...
    It is actually very high ranked in the search results for being that old and outdated, maybe it should be closed ...

Geekbench

CPU: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10342831
GPU: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/3058174

Even running the Geekbench Tests, doesn't get the Fans running on high rpm ...
The CPU stays between 37°C and 54°C, which is only there for short peaks, which are going down very fast when the pump kicks in. Fans are running only moderate.

Installation High Sierra

Caveats
Let some insights into the iterations it took me.

I spend some rounds until I got the Clover, and then the Installer Booting.
Here is my recap of what went wrong, in the order of things happening ;)
  1. Do not ever forget to plug in the cooling pump power cable
    1. but I was lucky ... only having Temperatures around 85°C with no harm done
    2. It's a general good idea to first check the fans and temperatures in your bios
  2. To get clover to boot, for the default HW configuration, i had to use nvme=-1
    1. Bad thing, no discs, because I had planned to use only the Samsung 970 EVO M.2
    2. Installed a Samsung 840, which was also challenging
      1. Because SATA and the M.2 are on Shared Buses, its either or for certain of the SATA Ports, when M.2 is installed. The Manual for the Mainboard is not correct about which SATA Ports are available, and which not.
        For me working are 2,3 (Installed M.2 SSD on M2M_32G and M2A_32G), 1 and 4 are not working and using 0 caused the System to slow down extremely ... still have to check Port 5
    3. The overall Problem here was the Intel OPTANE 32GB SSD, which was preinstalled on the board. This caused a nvme Kernel Panic (timed-out). Removing it, and only using the Samung 960 EVO solved the problem
  3. Because I was already in the middle of installing on the 840 SSD, when I realized that the OPTANE was the problem, I decided to mirror the SATA SSD to the M.2 ...
    1. Mirror the Disk
      1. boot into the installer again
      2. Start Terminal and use dd for mirroring
        1. dd if=/dev/diskX of=/dev/diskY bs=512
          Be really sure to have a good look at your disks with the diskutil list command the of disk will be destroid
          The first disk (if) may be mounted, the second has to be unmounted (unmount any filesystem mounted of this disk)
          You have to use the whole disk (so dont address partitions like disk2s2 but use disk2)
    2. Resize Partition
      1. Because the Sata SSD is 500GB and the M.2 is 1 TB, I had to resize the Partitions, another challenge
        1. diskutil won't help here, because the disk has 3 Partitions (EFI, System Drive, Rescue) and the partition to resize is in the middle
        2. used gparted live on a CD, which was able to first move the rescue partition and the resize the System Partition
  4. All my attempts to get the StarTech FireWire Card running resulted in a hanging System, waiting for the Card
Pictures are coming soon ...

rawshark

Hello RawShark,
Can you please confirm that your board is Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7-Op, which is the Optane version of the Gaming7. I have this board and when I try to load or boot from it, I get a screen which is black with text Reboot and select proper boot drive.

I was thinking that may be the mobo is not compatible with Hackintosh, somehow you seem to have got yours working if it is the same.

I have posted a question today on the forum , but your confirmation would be appreciated that I may yet get my fixed.

16jvl

I have the same setup. Did the Syba SD-PEX30009 fire wire card work? If so, where did you purchase it?

ALSO... what is your idle temperature for the 960 m.2. I have the 970 1TB and it idles at 44c, i use the the heatsink provided by the board.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back