Graphics
Nvidia GTS-250
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Since I got it working so well I thought I'd document it here. The hardest thing to get right was definitely the graphics card.

My method:
I initially got a tri boot working with Snow Leopard, Winblows 7 and Debian. They are all separate partitions on a 1.5 TB hard drive, with a 1 TB partitioned as hfs+ for storage. After I got everything working as intended and stable in SL I started work on updating to Lion.

(Of note: I am using server edition so the update to Lion required a few extra
undocumented steps. In order to get the xmove created installer to upgrade a server
edition install it needed to have the serveressentials.mpkg in
/lionInstaller/System/Installation/Packages/, which xmove doesn't copy from the Install
data on the root of the SL drive.)

Once Lion server was up and running I downloaded and used Multibeast 4.0.2 to install:
UserDSDT Install (The DSDT for my board was available in the DSDT Database.)
Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81XX Ethernet
64-bit Apple Boot Screen
Instant Menu (For the tri boot choice.)
PCI Configuration Fix
and Kext Utility.
I did not install the AppleHDA rollback as it wasn't working

After rebooting I installed the 10.7.1 update and rebooted again. On the next boot I deleted
AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and used Kext Utility to install a patched
for Lion AppleHDA.kext I got from here.
Rebooting after that yielded functioning sound.

The last thing that wasn't working correctly was my GeForce GT 430. This was a very
involved task that required the use of DOS. I will detail it as best I can. The steps are as
follows:
1. Acquire my cards NVCAP using DOS, nvflash, and NVCAP maker 1.4
2. Use OSX86Tools to make the EFI string for my graphics card.
3. Edit the org.chamelion.Boot.plist to include the EFI string

1. Acquire my cards NVCAP using DOS, nvflash, and NVCAP maker 1.4.
Im not going to detail getting or using DOS, nvflash or NVCAP maker, Google it. Once you
have a bootable DOS disk you will need to copy nvflash onto it. You should have to files for
nvflash, the exe and a dll. With those on your DOS disk boot to it and run
Code:
nvflash -b backup.rom
Reboot into mac and open NVCAP maker. Navigate to and open the backup.rom off your
DOS disk. It will output the NVCAP from your card. (the 32 char line) Copy that for step 2.

2. Use OSX86Tools to make the EFI string for my graphics card.
Acquire and open OSX86Tools, and click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag". This will open the
boot editor. Click GFX Strings at the top to open the GFX String Creator. In the Graphics
Card drop down choose custom. The first question will ask you for a Model name. I just
copied what was in the system report. Chose your VRAM size next and when it asks for
your output configuration click Custom. Now copy the NVCAP you got from step 1 into this
last box. At this point I chose to save this as XML but its not necessary. Click Import String
to Boot Editor. In Boot editor click Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist. exit OSX86Tools.

3. Edit the org.chameleon.Boot.plist to include the EFI string
Open both /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist in TextEdit or PlistEditpro.
Remove
Code:
<key>Graphics Enabler</key>
	<string>yes</string>
from org.chameleon.Boot.plist and copy
Code:
<key>device-properties</key>
	<string>(Big string of numbers)</string>
from your com.apple.Boot.plist into org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Your end result should look like this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Instant Menu</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 serverperfmode=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>device-properties</key>
	<string>(Big string of Numbers)</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Thats it. Backup your old org.chameleon.Boot.plist and save your newly edited one in
/Extra. Upon reboot I had both displays working correctly.

I hope this post can help someone else get their system working this well.

Xirxes, GREAT instructions and documentation. Question for you:

GA-P55A-UD3 Rev 1 +i7-860
GA-9800 Silent Cell graphics card
Intel X25M 80GB SSD

How much of what you went through will I need to go through to get Lion my system?
Or should I drop $250 for Sandy Bridge MoBo and CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back