Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
For build specs go here -->> http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/75458-first-build-ga-h61n-usb3-i3-2105-mini-budget-build.html

Well, after being a little reluctant to try the update i decided to brave it and to my surprise everything worked flawlessly.

Downloaded the Mavericks installer app, created my USB, put Multibeast 6.0.1 in there too. Booted to the USB, ran the installer, restarted, went back in through the usb into the Hard Drive, no flags necessary, ran my driver and kext updates, initially only audio was not working after the update, did all that and vioala! Rebooted perfectly and actually noticed an increase in both shut down and startup speeds.

I am very glad all this went without a hitch. Oh! And i am happy to report that with the 10.8.2 ML i had always had to persistent issues that was a delay/pop with the audio, and sleep was not working right, with 10.9.1 this seems to have been resolved!

I still have to test dual monitor support, through DVI and HDMI but all in all i am very happy! Thanks to all the community for providing this great alternative to apple's great OS!

Will report back soon on how she's doing in the long term.

EDIT: 15-Feb-2014 - Forgot to mention this was an "update" style install, i had made a full image of my HD before starting, just in case anything funny happened, and was prepared to do a full clean install in that event, but like i said everything went smoothly and correctly as an update, not a fresh install.

16-Feb-2014 - Have left the machine on for a few hours, it goes to sleep normally, press a key and boom, right back to the log on screen. HDMI and DVI are working together, i want to test the DVI out to a VGA monitor with a DVI to VGA adapter, i need that functionality since i plan to run a projector as a secondary monitor for presentations and i want that working correctly, it was not before with 10.8.2, and most of the projectors i come across are VGA, some might be HDMI and im sure that will work properly, but just in case.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 00.46.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 00.46.53 AM.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 269
  • Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 2.57.02.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 2.57.02.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 285
Also, future expansion for this particular build would be i5 processor, and possibly a GT6xx board, it needs to be a small low profile board as there is no space for a big heatsink or large fan on my case.

Any tips on how to perform the upgrade? Just run Multibeast again, run the necessarty drivers for processor upgrade and video card and that should be it?

Thanks.

Quick questions to the big boys here. Is there an actual functional necessity to change the computer description? I left mine to the Multibeast default of Mac Pro 2008, would that affect anything performance wise?

Thanks.

UPDATE OCT 17 2015

So, after using this setup for almost 2 years, i cannot say it has not been without its notable ups and downs. The main thing i can say about this particular build is that my first wrong choice was the board, it has very little expandability to it, then i also battled a lot of issues during updates, mainly audio and video.

Recently i tried going to 10.9.5 from 10.9.2 and again like when i updated from 10.8.2 to 10.8.5 i lost audio. No matter what i tried, no matter what version of Multibeast i could not get 10.9.5 to turn the audio back on.

Granted, i will admit, i am clueless and lost when it comes to the troubleshooting steps the admins usually go over on this forum, i seem to be unable to edit kext or tweak any of the files necessary to make thing work for my particular application, but in contrast, going back to 10.9.2 solves my audio and video problems without editing anything which is one of my other reasons for considering this a non practical alternative to owning a MAC.

The flip side of all this is that i have had this machine for almost 2 years and even though i have been able to use it extensively daily with internet browsing, office documents, and do a lot of Keynote work on presentations i do regularly, i have lost all my data twice, once due to mistakenly overwriting my backup, and the 2nd time recently where my Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB drive up and just died which was a big blow as i lost a lot of data and files.

In the end, i have been reluctant to build another hackintosh. But, if i can ask anybody reading this to please offer comments on what combination of system, hardware and software is the least prone to needing extensive troubleshooting or that just works straight forward by just installing drivers accordingly and updating to what ever version of OSX and that will work right out of the box.

Thanks for reading. Thanks to the Admins and Tonymac for providing this community, all this would not be possible if it wasnt for your prowess and dedication to these interesting bits of technology we use on a daily basis.

Keep up the great work!

hackintuner,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I have a H67N-USB3 & i3-2125 using the HD3000 graphics. This system was the basis of my Hack Cube (G4) mod. It's still using the old OCZ Vertex 3 SSD which is still working fine.

So, here's some words of encouragement. Our hackintoshes are prone to the same type of problems that all desktop computers have. We can only backup and choose critical components carefully to ensure that we protect our data.

I know this advice after the horse has escaped from the barn, but I backup whenever I have created or changed an important file, such as documents and presentations or... I use Time Machine hourly (default) to my NAS (Synology 112j with a 3TB Western Digital Red HDD) and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the current OS X image once a week to a HDD in my system for expressly for backups. The good news is that I've never had to restore a file or the image since I started this procedure.

Given the above, I recommend that your next system's SSD is one of the ones recommended in the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide. Currently, I'm using Samsung EVO SSDs. I have a few of the Kingston's V300 which I bought at $40+ to test installations, but not use as production system because of the bad reviews.

When I went to build a 9-series system, I realized that I don't overclock so I bought Hectors components with getting work done with maybe a game or to played for relaxation. I recommend your next system built around a good H motherboard and i3/i5 processor with memory supported by the motherboard manufacturer's memory support list, a good SSD (like the Samsung EVO series) and HDD recommended in the Buyer's Guide. (I like the i5 since it has the horsepower to drive on-board graphics and large screen monitors.) While I can understand a person's desire to keep the cost of a system to a minimum, going with the least expensive component can increase your risks of component failure.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Update suggestions.

I need to revive this thread a little bit, i was wondering, i need to actually update this hackintosh because i have some applications that need updating, i have an ipad mini i need to update, as i had not used the machine (or the ipad) for the last 2 years.

Given my build:
APEX MI-800 Black Mini Case (need to replace it)
Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3
Intel i3-2105 3.10ghz HD3000 dual core (i chose this as i am hoping to get good with this "budget build")
Corsair 8gig (2x4gig) 1333Mhz DDR3 XMS3

What would be the ideal update path for the OS with this particular setup. I am not looking to expand its hardware capabilities, i just need a more recent version of the OS so i can update my ipad, update some apps and use it for other things.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back