Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, i7 3770K, 32GB, 480GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GTX 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Milesree

That is strange. A couple of questions:

1. Are you booting with GraphisEnabler=Yes or =No? Whichever one you are using, try the other. You can just try it first by typing in the command at the Chimera boot loader screen instead of modifying your org.chameleon.boot.plist file. Although my build description says to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes (which worked fine for me), I've found that GraphicsEnabler=No now also works (i.e. nothing changes). However I only tried this after installing the nVidia drivers and the latest version of Chimera, so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it. I'm almost certain that before installing the nVidia drivers and/or the new Chimera that I could only boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Note that I still need to have the device properties in the org.chameleon.boot.plist file in both cases.

2. When you changed back to "init display = Auto", did you still have a monitor plugged into the mobo DVI? If so, disconnect it and then boot and see if it fixes the problem. If not try "Init display = PEG" which will only initialise your discrete GPU.

With your setup I'd only be initializing your discrete GPU (Init display = PEG) and have both screens plugged into it. The only reason I have the HD4000 enabled is because the only configuration I can get my 2 x 24" cinema displays to work properly is to have one plugged into the single displayport on the GTX 670 (via a MDP --> DP adaptor) and the other plugged into the MDP/thunderbolt port on the HD4000. With the monitor plugged into the GTX 670 set as the primary display, graphics acceleration to both monitors is via the GTX 670.

I hope this helps.

Hi Dawsman,

Thanks for getting back to me

1) Before coming across your guide, I used GraphicsEnabler=No on my bootlist, but didn't have the device-properties key/string. I've retained the device-properties string but trying GE=Yes/No both don't really seem to make a different to the problems I'm having

2) After doing some port shuffling, here's what I found:
  • HDMI monitor -> GPU + DVI monitor -> Mobo + Init display = Auto/PEG gives a boot screen to the HDMI monitor, system profiler shows only the GTX670 and there is no signal to my dvi monitor
  • HDMI monitor -> GPU + DVI monitor -> Mobo + Init display = IGPX gives boot screen to the DVI monitor, system profiler shows both HD 4000 and gtx 670, however it shows I am primarily using my HD 4000. I also get a problem when I try test my GTX670 graphics on OpenGL Extensions Viewer getting a near instant kernel freeze when I run any test. I am getting the feeling that the true source of my problem is FakeSMC/HW Monitor did you get a similar debug message with your own troubles? I've attached two debug messages that I recently suffered in this set up FakeSMCHWmonitordebug.jpgKernel Panic Debug Message.jpg
  • I've now gone back to my default single monitor set up, HDMI monitor -> GPU + Init display = Auto, which gives boot screen, no HD 4000 in the profiler and the same kernel freezes from graphics acceleration as the above set up.

I'm mostly concerned that these kernel freezes are possibly being caused by fakesmc/hwmonitor, did you get any under similar circumstances? If so how did you manage to solve them?

Cheers

Regarding hwmonitor/fakeSMC, yes I had major issues with it. See this post earlier in the thread. I'm not sure why I had these issues, but possibly related to GTX6XX GPUs, however I tried all the "fixes" to no avail. The only way I could solve it was to start from scratch (reinstall / Timemachine restore).

Have you also considered the possibility that you have a faulty GPU? I tested everything under Windows for a couple of weeks prior to Hackintoshing, just in case there were faulty hardware or hardware installation issues.

Hi nishant98

I didn't need to install the nVidia drivers, the card just worked out of the box. However, I did install them later to see if it fixed an issue I am having with one of my cinema displays not going to sleep (it didn't). Unfortunately I didn't test OpenGL/CL when the driver wasn't installed, but I have tested it since installing the driver and it works. I believe it works out of the box with 10.8.2 but happy to be corrected if that's not the case.

I'm only using the Intel SATA ports at this stage. The 3rd party "Marvell 88SE9172" controller is for an e-SATA port on the rear panel and the GSATA on the motherboard, and I haven't tested them.

I have my Sandisk Extreme 480GB SSD partitioned for OSX (280GB) and Windows 7 (200GB), a second Crucial M4 256GB SSD running Windows 8, a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm drive partitioned for Ubuntu 12.04 (1TB) and storage (1TB), and a 2TB Western Digital Green 5400rpm drive for even more storage, and everything works and boots perfectly via the Chimera bootloader. So I don't think you will have any problems. Regarding your 1TB HDD, why not just format the whole drive as ex-FAT which is readable/writable from OSX and Windows? That's how I have my storage drive/partition formatted and it works great, and you don't have the 4GB limit associated with the standard FAT file system.

Good luck!

Oh okay! Thanks for all the advice! And I looked up ex-FAT, and I think I'll go with it! Thanks again! :thumbup:

Hey there,
I know you did this build a little while ago, I used your instructions pretty closely and the one thing that is currently not working is Messages. Do you have messages working on your build? I think that the reason it is not working is because the z77x-up5-th does not require a DSDT and I am guessing the the multibeast update updates something in the DSDT.

I'm having a minor but annoying problem with my Hackintosh. I finally received my minidisplayport to displayport adapter and have connected one of my 24" cinema displays to the GTX 670 (the secondary display is connected to the HD4000 via MDP). When the monitors go to sleep, the one connected to the GTX 670 re-wakes after about one second and stays awake. I've done a Google search and found one other case of this, and they put it down to the nVidia drivers in Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Any one else have this issue and possibly a solution? I leave my Hackintosh on 24/7 so I'd like to resolve it.

Cheers

The OSX 10.8.3 update (with new nVidia drivers) fixed this problem. Thanks Apple!!

I had no issues with the update, just had to reinstall audio drivers and re-enable TRIM.

hi dawsman. have you both internal graphic (hd4000) and gtx 670 set to on in bios? because if i enable hd4000 (set to enabled in bios) i can't turn on my hack (with 10.8.3)
i have an error: unknown cpu

if otherwise i put hd4000 to off in bios, i can start my hackintosh without any problem

Hi Xelanaiznac

Yes, I have both the internal graphics and GTX 670 enabled, i.e. "Init display = IGFX" in the BIOS. I do not get the unknown CPU error. I have the i7 3770K, what CPU do you have?

Edit: Just saw your signature and noticed that you also have the i7 3770K. I'm not sure why you are getting the unknown CPU error.

thank you for the answer.
what about your config? have you multiple monitors?
i enabled the hd4000 to have the audio through the hd4000 hdmi and the video trough the 670's dvi.
to do this i put igfx to enabled and i put "peg" to init display first
then i set igfx ram to 32 and i add string injunction to org.chameleon.boot.plist
this setting worked on 10.8.2. they didn't with 10.8.3 and i don't undestand why. something changed between the os releases.

please help me

i have some news

first i add string injunction to org.chameleon.boot.plist
i put this setting on bios:
-init display first: igfx (this is the key)
-internal graphic: enabled (or even auto is ok)
-igfx ram: 32mb

system definitions: imac 13,1 (or even imac 12,2)

doing this i can have both graphic cards working (with airplay mirroring working) but the issue is that i lost boot screen (i see nothing until mac osx is loaded)
this because i have only one screen connected through gtx 670 hdmi

my question is: how can i have back my boot screen keeping both graphics cards enabled(so i can have airplay mirroring)?
i can see boot screen only if i disable the internal graphic.
if i put igfx to enabled and init display first to peg, i have boot error ("...AppleIntelController.cpp:12351 Assertion"? unknown cpu model etc).
this didn't happen with 10.8.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back