Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, i7 3770K, 32GB, 480GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GTX 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Dawsman,

Yeah I set my BIOS to PCIE, so im not using HD4000 graphics, with my DVI cable plugged into the 1st slot of my GTX670 it all displays and works perfectly!! I have the latest nVidia drivers, as well as CUDA too!!

On my previous go at a stable hackintosh I had Trim enabler on, I set this with the multibeast installer! for 10.8.1+

I never knew that the ssd over time can degrade! Thanks for the heads up!! Should I follow your link to enable TRIM? or should i use multibeast?

Overclocking is something I have never done! and would love to know how! I dont know if you wouldn't mind sharing your steps as our builds are so alike!! No stress tho if its too much to explain, ill research online!!

EDIT: I read the link you posted, made way more sense to follow those steps than multibeast!! Rebooted, TRIM support is now YES!!

If it wasn't for you dude, my machine would not be running as it is right now!!
Again, Thanks so much!!

Dawsman,

Why did you use that string in /Extra/org...Boot.plst file "to get HD4000 working"? I used the MultiBeast config as outlined in my build description, and HD4000 worked great. It's my understanding that you only need the "string" to make HD4000 working if you use Chemelon instead of Chimera which you didn't do.

Hey Dawsman,

In reading your reply to Stork! All your ports are working, I went through my system profiler, I noticed under Thunderbolt on my build it says : No hardware was found.

Had you added any extra kext files to get this to work?

Thanks

Do you have any thunderbolt devices plugged in? Only then you *may* see something appear under Thunderbolt in system properties.

I say *may* because thunderbolt devices may not be detected as thunderbolt devices when using the Gigabyte motherboard. See this link: http://www.tonymacx86.com/73-gigaby...-work-thunderbolt-devices-os-x/comments2.html

My thunderbolt ports work as mini displayports (I have 2 cinema displays connected), however I don't have any thunderbolt devices to test.

Oddly enough, I can't find the online source of the EFI string I used, and it's different to other strings I've found - most appear to start with "7f" e.g. see bottom post here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61216-10-8-how-enable-hd4000-17.html. I wonder now if something else I did got the HD4000 working and if the device-properties string is actually required? I will test this when I get home from work by removing the device properties string from the plist file. I can always fix it from the boot prompt if I get a kernel panic.Cheers

When I deleted the device-properties string I booted into two white screens (so no kernel panic).

Then I tried changing the graphics memory from 32MB to 64MB and 96MB (I've read that helps in some cases) - kernel panics in both cases.

So I've re-instated the device-properties string and all is well again.

I say *may* because thunderbolt devices may not be detected as thunderbolt devices when using the Gigabyte motherboard. See this link: http://www.tonymacx86.com/73-gigaby...-work-thunderbolt-devices-os-x/comments2.html

My thunderbolt ports work as mini displayports (I have 2 cinema displays connected), however I don't have any thunderbolt devices to test.

Ok Great!! I will do some testing now! Extra notes I have my Wacom Intuos 5 installed, Full functionality! Systems is solid!

Many Thanks!!

Dawsman,
I have a build relatively close to yours, a 3570k and a 660ti are my major hardware differences and I can't get my wake from sleep working right. I didn't see where you mentioned in in the first post, but the problem I am having is when I go to wake it up the video does not work. I am setup 2 displays on the 660Ti via the DVI ports. The sound works when it wakes up so I am sure it is waking up just no video. Does yours work fine? If it does any ideas on where I should look for troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Stork

Firstly, thanks for editing my build post and making in look 100% better than it did!
You're welcome. It's my job here. :lol:

dawsman said:
I couldn't get the HD4000 working without the Device Properties in the org.chameleon.boot.plist file. I kept getting kernel panics. I've read that this may have something to do with multiple screens (I have 2) but that can't be right because Vapour360 had the same issue with only 1 screen.
For HD4000 to work with multiple monitors, all you need to do is to change your System Definition to MacMini5,1. MacPro3,1 works fine with HD4000 Ivy Bridge. (See Post #29.)

dawsman said:
I notice that your build uses the i5-3570K, where as Vapour360 and I use the i7-3770K. Even though both use HD4000 graphics, perhaps there's some difference with the i7-3770K that requires manual EFI-string injection?
It doesn't matter what processor you use so long as it supports HD4000.

dawsman said:
Oddly enough, I can't find the online source of the EFI string I used, and it's different to other strings I've found - most appear to start with "7f" e.g. see bottom post here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61216-10-8-how-enable-hd4000-17.html. I wonder now if something else I did got the HD4000 working and if the device-properties string is actually required? I will test this when I get home from work by removing the device properties string from the plist file. I can always fix it from the boot prompt if I get a kernel panic.
Try the System Definition above w/o the string in /Extra/org...Boot.plst file. But, you have to be using Chimera which is the default for the MultiBeast "UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation".

dawsman said:
Question - do all the onboard video out ports (i.e. VGA, HDMI, DVI, mini-displayport/thunderbolt) work on your build? All the ports work on mine. The reason I ask is that I've read that those who have done manual EFI-string injection sometimes don't have all the ports working (e.g. see thread referenced above).
I never tested VGA because Apple's OS X hasn't supported native VGA in...well, a long time. The rest of the onboard video outputs work.

For HD4000 to work with multiple monitors, all you need to do is to change your System Definition to MacMini5,1. (See post #29.)

Try the System Definition above w/o the string in /Extra/org...Boot.plst file. But, you have to be using Chimera which is the default for the MultiBeast "UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation".

Thanks for the suggestions Stork.

I tried the MacMini5,1 system definition without the device properties, but no dice. Booted into two white screens again. I'm definitely using Chimera. So, I've gone back to the configuration described in my build post. Interestingly, I don't have to tick NullCPUPowerManagement in MultiBeast in order for my over clocked processor speed to be reported in About this Mac / System Report. So it must only require disabling of speedstepping in the BIOS? Or would the NullCPUPowerManagement have remained from the previous MultiBeast installation? I assume not because I would think it overwrites everything. If someone can confirm then I will edit the MultiBeast configuration in my build post if necessary.

Edit: Okay so I found the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext was still present in /system/library/extensions, so I deleted it and rebooted. My overclocked processor speed is still reported in About this Mac / System Report. So it appears that disabling speedstepping in the BIOS is all that is required to report the true processor speed. I'll do some more testing then edit my build post.

Of course removing NullCPUPowerManagement means sleep and wake now work too (Edit: only manual sleep, auto sleep doesn't work). Except my USB keyboard doesn't work on wake but unplugging and replugging it fixes that (I realise it's a know problem). The mouse was jumpy too until I replugged the keyboard.

Dawsman,
I have a build relatively close to yours, a 3570k and a 660ti are my major hardware differences and I can't get my wake from sleep working right. I didn't see where you mentioned in in the first post, but the problem I am having is when I go to wake it up the video does not work. I am setup 2 displays on the 660Ti via the DVI ports. The sound works when it wakes up so I am sure it is waking up just no video. Does yours work fine? If it does any ideas on where I should look for troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Delete the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext file from /system/library/extensions then reboot. See my post below for more details. I'll edit my build post when I'm certain all is okay to reflect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back