Contribute
Register

[Success] Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming HD 530 with 10.12.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Configuration
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Ultra Gaming @ BIOS F20
Intel Core i7 6700k
Skylake Intel HD 530 (built in graphics)
2 x 16GB Corsair Veneance LPX
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD
LG 27UD68-P
NZXT Kraken X61
Logitech MK620 Keyboard/Mouse

This was my first attempt and from the perspective of a first timer a lot of what I read meant nothing to me at first. I will post below some first timer information and tips. I'll edit this post as I learn more as well. Also, please correct and/or help explain anything you see in the below. It took me multiple installs to get everything right (at least what I have tested so far). I got audio working, but it was kind of weird and I plan to try it again....I like a clean first install. I appreciate all the help and effort! Some may wonder how I handled the NZXT Kraken since it is plugged into the USB. The first install I unplugged it, but I have since put it into the desired mode and color in windows and it seems to stay that way and run fine while macOS is running, my advice is to just leave it in. I have CPU warning enabled in the bios just in case...

Installation:
I started by following the Guide at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/, but it left me with no audio and a graphics glitch in upper left. You can definitely use it to create UniBeast and then copy MultiBeast onto it. I didn't check any boxes for UniBeast. The first thing I had to do different was in the bios settings as described below before booting with UniBeast.

For the BIOS settings, I first undid the CPU and Memory overclock I use for windows to get everything back to stock. I then selected Optimized Defaults and as stated in the guide I set VT-d to disable, I could not find CFG-Lock or Secure Boot. Other OS was already the default, I disabled the serial port and I set XHCI Handoff to enabled.

I had to increase the DVMT Pre-Allocated from 32M to at least 64M under chipset, or I would get a Kernal Panic on first boot after MultiBeast. Between my installs I updated the BIOS and 64M used to be the default, but in BIOS version F20 it is 32M. I keep getting Kernal Panics until I changed this to 64M. Actually, on my first try, I set it to max of 1024M and after that worked I tried 64M out of curiosity, and, after it worked at 64M, I left it at 64M.

I then followed the Guide to erase the drive and install macOS. As I worked through multiple installs, I learned I think the best way to use MultiBeast. When I followed the Guide, I had no audio and a graphics glitch in the top left of the window. Here is what I did on my last and most successful install.

After installed macOS on the drive and then booting to the USB again, I selected the new Sierra installation from the boot menu. After it loaded I started MultiBeast. The options I used were Quick Start - UEFI Boot Mode. For the drivers I chose optional 3 port (5.1) audio and 100 series audio for the audio drivers and for the network I chose IntelMausi 2.2. I then selected customize and picked Intel HD 530 and for system definition I picked 17.1 (I tried 14.2 as well, didn't seem to make a difference and 17.1 matches 6700 CPU).

After that I clicked build and saved the file to the USB drive with date. Then I clicked on installation and entered my password. Finally I restarted and now I had better looking screen and network, but still graphics problems in upper left and no audio. Since neither worked on the first install I did with MultiBeast and based on how I got it working later, I came up the below process.

For the video I opened the config file in text editor and pasted the below into it, skipping the part that was already added there by MultiBeast. You have to be careful in there, and I would have preferred to use Clover Configurator but I wasn't sure how. Opening the config file was one of those simple things that will become routine, and there are add on programs for it, but I like to minimize the programs I use....so here is how I do it:

1. Open a terminal window, choose launchpad, utilities, terminal
2. type diskutils list
3. from this you can see the drive list, you want the EFI partition, it is usually on disk 0 S1
4, type sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 desktop
5. enter password, now the EFI directory should be on the desktop.

Another annoyance I had early was looking at the /System/Library/Extensions/ as the hard drive is not as apparent in macOS as it is in windows. To solve that, simple open finder and under preferences you can check the box to show the hard drive on the Desktop. Then, you can make a shortcut to it in finder if you want. I was surprised that /System/Library/Extensions/ was not hidden. This is where MultiBeast put the Intel driver kext.

After mounting the EFI, you can simply go to Clover and open the config file with text editor.

Below is what the full code should look like, but MultiBeast already put some of it in there (the first 2 values).
Code:
<key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AddProperties</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Skylake glitch fix © Apple</string>
                <key>Device</key>
                <string>IntelGFX</string>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL,Gfx324</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL,GfxYTile</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL00,PanelPowerUp</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                MAAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL00,PanelPowerOn</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                GQEAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL00,PanelPowerOff</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                EQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL00,PanelPowerDown</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                PAAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL00,PanelCycleDelay</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                +gAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>device-colors</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                AAIAAKCdnQAAAAAAAAAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </array>
    </dict>

This is from this post:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...raphics-glitch-fix.206410/page-2#post-1363199

To solve the no audio, I did this based on this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.143757/#post886744 under Unsupported/Non-working Realtek ALC AppleHDA.

I then restarted the computer and after it booted up again I ran toleda's
https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/audio_cloverALC-120.command.zip
I followed the command prompts and picked 2. After this, I went to system preferences and then sound and picked integrated speaker.

First Timer Definitions and Tips:

Last edited:
OttoNP, thank you so much for your build info and all the instructions! Based on your post I built my very first CustoMac about a week ago and I have to say that it works perfectly fine using macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

After adding the Skylake fixes that you mentioned in your post and after an additional "shutdown fix" to the ACPI configuration everything seems to work: graphics, sound, network, etc. including all features of the connected Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (camera, audio, USB hub).

Everything feels exactly like my MacBook Pro (6,2) - except that my new CustoMac is much more quiet (completely silent) and it does NOT kernel panic :thumbup:. Yes, the reason for me to build a CustoMac was that my good old MacBook Pro mid-2010 started giving me more and more kernel panics - obviously due to a faulty nVidia GPU.

So thanks to you and the entire community I can finally USE macOS again without risking sudden kernel panics and reboots! :clap: Thank you, thank you, thank you!

OttoNP could you perhaps upload your clover folder. It would be a big help to figuring out what I'm going wrong here. We has all the same components.

thanks......

Help!

I have a simular build with the same mother board and cannot get past the OS X installation...

Gets stuck at 11%

Error Log shows "CoreServices" Folder not found...

Hello, please can you tell me how the Kraken X61 works under OSX? Do you need any control software to run higher speed or is it done automatically? Thank you

My Configuration
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Ultra Gaming @ BIOS F20
Intel Core i7 6700k
Skylake Intel HD 530 (built in graphics)
2 x 16GB Corsair Veneance LPX
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD
LG 27UD68-P
NZXT Kraken X61
Logitech MK620 Keyboard/Mouse

This was my first attempt and from the perspective of a first timer a lot of what I read meant nothing to me at first. I will post below some first timer information and tips. I'll edit this post as I learn more as well. Also, please correct and/or help explain anything you see in the below. It took me multiple installs to get everything right (at least what I have tested so far). I got audio working, but it was kind of weird and I plan to try it again....I like a clean first install. I appreciate all the help and effort! Some may wonder how I handled the NZXT Kraken since it is plugged into the USB. The first install I unplugged it, but I have since put it into the desired mode and color in windows and it seems to stay that way and run fine while macOS is running, my advice is to just leave it in. I have CPU warning enabled in the bios just in case...

Installation:
I started by following the Guide at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/, but it left me with no audio and a graphics glitch in upper left. You can definitely use it to create UniBeast and then copy MultiBeast onto it. I didn't check any boxes for UniBeast. The first thing I had to do different was in the bios settings as described below before booting with UniBeast.

For the BIOS settings, I first undid the CPU and Memory overclock I use for windows to get everything back to stock. I then selected Optimized Defaults and as stated in the guide I set VT-d to disable, I could not find CFG-Lock or Secure Boot. Other OS was already the default, I disabled the serial port and I set XHCI Handoff to enabled.

I had to increase the DVMT Pre-Allocated from 32M to at least 64M under chipset, or I would get a Kernal Panic on first boot after MultiBeast. Between my installs I updated the BIOS and 64M used to be the default, but in BIOS version F20 it is 32M. I keep getting Kernal Panics until I changed this to 64M. Actually, on my first try, I set it to max of 1024M and after that worked I tried 64M out of curiosity, and, after it worked at 64M, I left it at 64M.

I then followed the Guide to erase the drive and install macOS. As I worked through multiple installs, I learned I think the best way to use MultiBeast. When I followed the Guide, I had no audio and a graphics glitch in the top left of the window. Here is what I did on my last and most successful install.

After installed macOS on the drive and then booting to the USB again, I selected the new Sierra installation from the boot menu. After it loaded I started MultiBeast. The options I used were Quick Start - UEFI Boot Mode. For the drivers I chose optional 3 port (5.1) audio and 100 series audio for the audio drivers and for the network I chose IntelMausi 2.2. I then selected customize and picked Intel HD 530 and for system definition I picked 17.1 (I tried 14.2 as well, didn't seem to make a difference and 17.1 matches 6700 CPU).

After that I clicked build and saved the file to the USB drive with date. Then I clicked on installation and entered my password. Finally I restarted and now I had better looking screen and network, but still graphics problems in upper left and no audio. Since neither worked on the first install I did with MultiBeast and based on how I got it working later, I came up the below process.

For the video I opened the config file in text editor and pasted the below into it, skipping the part that was already added there by MultiBeast. You have to be careful in there, and I would have preferred to use Clover Configurator but I wasn't sure how. Opening the config file was one of those simple things that will become routine, and there are add on programs for it, but I like to minimize the programs I use....so here is how I do it:

1. Open a terminal window, choose launchpad, utilities, terminal
2. type diskutils list
3. from this you can see the drive list, you want the EFI partition, it is usually on disk 0 S1
4, type sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 desktop
5. enter password, now the EFI directory should be on the desktop.

Another annoyance I had early was looking at the /System/Library/Extensions/ as the hard drive is not as apparent in macOS as it is in windows. To solve that, simple open finder and under preferences you can check the box to show the hard drive on the Desktop. Then, you can make a shortcut to it in finder if you want. I was surprised that /System/Library/Extensions/ was not hidden. This is where MultiBeast put the Intel driver kext.

After mounting the EFI, you can simply go to Clover and open the config file with text editor.

Below is what the full code should look like, but MultiBeast already put some of it in there (the first 2 values).
Code:
<key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AddProperties</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL,Gfx324</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL,GfxYTile</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL00,PanelPowerUp</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                MAAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL00,PanelPowerOn</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                GQEAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL00,PanelPowerOff</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                EQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL00,PanelPowerDown</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                PAAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL00,PanelCycleDelay</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                +gAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Device</key>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>device-colors</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>
                AAIAAKCdnQAAAAAAAAAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </array>
    </dict>

This is from this post:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...raphics-glitch-fix.206410/page-2#post-1363199

To solve the no audio, I did this based on this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.143757/#post886744 under Unsupported/Non-working Realtek ALC AppleHDA.

I then restarted the computer and after it booted up again I ran toleda's
https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/audio_cloverALC-120.command.zip
I followed the command prompts and picked 2. After this, I went to system preferences and then sound and picked integrated speaker.

First Timer Definitions and Tips:
Hello, First of all thanks for comprehensive explanation which helped me build one similar to your system. I have everything working except 2 problems and maybe you had the same issues and could help me to get directed to the right direction.
1. Midi keyboards are not recognized. actually the computer recognizes the usb devise but can not find it when I try to add a midi devise. I also downloaded the drivers and no luck again. I suspect that the MIDI firmware is missing. The audio inputs and outputs work fine (microphone, aux, etc..). please let me know if you have any thoughts. I have been researching but it seams there is not much info on MIDI problems.
This is from; About This Mac>System Report> Hardware>USB . ..So it finds the devise
USB 3.0 Bus:
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBXHCISPT
PCI Device ID: 0xa12f
PCI Revision ID: 0x0031
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Yamaha MOX6/MOX8:
Product ID: 0x1503
Vendor ID: 0x0499 (Yamaha Corporation)
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Yamaha Corporation
Location ID: 0x14d00000 / 1
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

2. There is an annoying buzz in my speakers. it seams the CPU noise gets into the speakers some how. I plugged in the computer separate from the power source of the speaker (different power line (circuit breaker) ) and the noise been reduced half volume. the reason I think it is CPU related because I when I move the mouse of CPU gets worked up, the noise gets worse. I use Yamaha HS8 Speakers connected to the Apollo twin and Apollo connected to the computer with a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 with an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter. The Thunderbolt port works fine. I think there might be noise leakage from the motherboard to the USB-C port. that said when I use the Headphone to monitor there is no noise. when I unplug the speaker from Apollo while the speaker is powered on, it fixes the noise. It seams I can not find the correlation of the noise source.

2. There is an annoying buzz in my speakers. it seams the CPU noise gets into the speakers some how. I plugged in the computer separate from the power source of the speaker (different power line (circuit breaker) ) and the noise been reduced half volume.

This smells like a ground loop to me. Try routing the sound cable through an isolator.

Except the processor (I am on the i5) the mobo and graphics card are the same. I have 3 issues though that I am trying to figure out and I hope that you have solved them and point me to the right direction.
  1. USB 3 is not working.
  2. I am getting kernel panic when I try to wake screen that has gone to sleep
  3. When I use the displayport instead of the HDMI, I get a "no signal" black screen halfway through the apple logo screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back