Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Finally I completed a fully working installation of this powerful build. I wanted to share what I learned to help somebody with the same build.

Build:

CPU:Intel Core i7-4930K (6 core)
MotherBoard:GA-X79-UP4 BIOS F5
Graphics: GeForce GTX 780 (3GB)
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport LP (8gb to start)
CPU Cooler:Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer (Water)
HD: SSD 840 EVO 256gb
Power: Corsair HX 750 Watt Modular
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R
Apple wireless keyboard, Magic mouse, IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 usb micro, TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter.

1: BIOS SETTINGS *F5

( not much tweaking) Attached pictures of settings and overview
Bios1.JPGBios8.JPGBios7.JPGBios6.JPGBios5.JPGBios4.JPGBios3.JPGBios2.JPG

2: Boot: This Guide to step 4. http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

When you choose USB before hitting enter just start typing this boot flags:
-v npci=0x3000 cpus=1 -f

and wait... wait... suddenly grey screen... wait... it looks like is not working... wait... Then the OSX installer begins.

Follow step 5,6,7 and 8 of the tutorial: Utilities , Format your drive, 1 partition..etc... RESTART.

Upon RESTART, hit F12 chose your usb "choose USB-HDD"

At the Chimera Boot Screen (your boot drive and your new Mavericks disc you just installed), choose your new Mavericks installation AND type this boot flags:

-v -f npci=0x3000

( EDIT FOR 10.9.3 or .4)

if you use 10.9.3 or 10.9.4

type "-v npci=0x3000 cpus=1 -f" instead of just "-v -f npci=0x3000" after OS X installation

Wait.... wait...

Finally you get into the desktop.

Run MultiBeast:

credit for this:theandrewlucas http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...l-3930k-dual-gtx-770-samsung-ssd-256gb-2.html

Choose
Quickstart:
DSDT Free

Drivers:
Audio: Without DSDT ALC892
Disk: 3rd Party SATA, Trim Enabler 10.9.0 TRIM Patch
Misc: EvOreboot, FakeSMC v5.3.820, NullCPUPowerManagement, VoodooTSCSync 6 Core
Network: Intel - nhank’s AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d
System: AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset (automatically selected)

Bootloaders: Chimera v2.2.1

Customize:
Boot Options:
Generate CPU States
Hibernate Mode - Desktop
PCI Root ID Fix
Use Kernel Cache
1080p Display Mode (you can edit this to whatever your monitor and GPU can support if higher than 1080p)
System Definitions: Mac Pro 5,1 ( maybe you can use new 6,1 havent tried it)

Build/Install/ And restart your computer.

About my mac.png
EVERYTHING SEEMS PERFECT BUT... you don't have fluid audio nor video and Preview, quicktime and some others crash whe you try to open a image so:

TO GET THE AUDIO/VIDEO WORKING:

Download Chameleon http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/59-chameleon-22-svn/
Open/ open the Installer / continue/ continue/ continue /Standard Install.

TO STOP THE PREVIEW and others from crashing DOWNLOAD Fix GTX 780:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/73628/
Nvidia drivers, install, update if you want and
from the menu bar or system preferences
select "NVIDIA web driver" DONT select "OS X Default Graphics Driver"

Cinebench.png

*BAD NEWS for everyone on a mac or hackintosh until today (May 8,2014) there are no CUDA drivers for the GTX 780 yet... we will have to wait (hope not to long) to enable CUDA... but anyway without them this card is blazing fast!!!... don't worry.

RESTART / DONE.

Double check:
in your Extra folder in the boot hard drive ssd the "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" open it with text edit and check if matches this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 nvda_drv=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Review in your Extra folder in the boot hard drive ssd the "smbios.plist" open it with text edit and check if matches this:

Simbios

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacPro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro5,1</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F221BEC8</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>G8243JXAGWR</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I over clocked my CPU with the mother board bios to 4.2 ( just changed the multiplier to 42)

And got this scores:
Benchmarks 64bit.png

AND I AM HAPPY!!!:lolno::D:headbang::!::!:

I have the exact same build. I have done exactly as you have done, but after i type in my boot flags in -v mode, I see a lot of code fly by and then the screen just goes black.

I have also tried GraphicsEnabler=No and several other combos of flags that have worked on my other machines but I cannot get it to load the installer.

I have another hackintosh working well with the same specs EXCEPT it has an Intel 3930k CPU.

Any ideas?

PeterParkerBrodhead:

Use the:

-v npci=0x3000 cpus=1 -f

They have to work if you have the same build. Wait until all the code lines go away... wait... black screen... wait.... wait.. grey screen... wait... and like 10minutes after the last line of text code is gone... you will get the installer window... believe me this is it. :crazy:Although is the fastest computer I have build is the slowest to get to the installer:problem:.

The first time I got to the installer, I was watching a movie in other computer during the verbose "-v" process, luckily I didn't realize that the code lines flying had ended long time ago... The computer was quiet and with a black screen. I was about to reset the computer thinking I did something wrong, but suddenly the screen turned grey and the installer window appeared.

PD:

Did you use the latest Mavericks app 10.9.2? I had a usb with unibeast made with Mavericks 10.9.1 app that I tried to use at the beginning but it didn't work... I think because the 4930k is recently compatible with 10.9.2

First of all thanks afuera!

My install kept hanging' and couldn't even get to the 10.9 install page on my 6-core i7 until I found your post and the magic formula of -v npci=0x3000 cpus=1 -f

It worked! and got me where I needed... along with a lot of patience, like 30-40 minutes just to begin Mavericks install.

However, during the install and after I've done all the post install work, the system is crawling at a snail's pace. Did you run into that problem? Someone suggested I set the voodooTSCsync kext to 6-core, which I did following your lead. I have even repeated the install process several times in case I missed something. Maybe you know a workaround?

What do you mean there are no CUDA drivers for the GTX780? I have that card on my Hackintosh and CUDA is working fine. Can you please post where you got that info, maybe I just don't realize its not working right.

Vmcney:

That dind't happen to me, I can think about 2 things you can do. First of all check if your chameleon.boot.plist looks like mine, specially this part:
<key>Kernel Flags</key><string>npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 nvda_drv=1</string>

The second thing you can do is install chameleon, also to fix the audio issue.

Tell me if works, thanks and good luck!

I copied your chameleon.boot.plist verbatim (actually I just copied and pasted it). It helped somewhat. Instead of a popup window taking 5 seconds to open, it only takes 3 seconds now. I'm wondering if I have a hardware problem, although the CPU and RAM all check out in BIOS. The "About This Mac" shows 4.3 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, which is odd as it's an i7 running at 3.4 GHz. However, when I drill down to get more info, the processor speed shows 22.1 GHz! So not sure what that's all about. My graphics card is GTX680 instead of your GTX780, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

It's a mystery, and one I'm getting a tad annoyed with.
  • :banghead:
When I saw your post I really had hoped, since you had a similar build, that I too would soon experience the full potential of this machine. But not so. I've got Mavericks running... but like it's on a 486 PC.

Did you ever get hung on "MAC Framework successfully initialized using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers?" I'm setting up a new rig with the GA-X79-UP4 (f7 BIOS), GTX 480 (as I tried to use my 780ti, but with it's compatibility issues I couldn't be sure if that was what was causing my install issues), and a Xeon E5 2680 v2 (10-core). Also, I have a modified mach_kernel file from this build guide (http://www.reduser.net/forum/showth...ide-Dual-Xeon-with-E5-2680v2-and-ASUS-Z9PE-D8) which is supposed to add support for the 10-core processor. I realize we have a lot of differences in our setups, but I'm trying to troubleshoot where this hang is coming from.

vmcneyFirst of all have patience my friend, you are trying to hack a PC to build a Mac, save money and be able to update/change all the hardware you want whenever you want... so be patient ITS WORTH IT, research and try... If you have compatible working hardware... its not that hard.I don't think you can just copy and paste those values on the .plist Maybe try running multibeast again andDownload Chameleon http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/fil...meleon-22-svn/If you get a kernel or whatever, let me know. Good luck again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back