Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you're running Ventura 13.3, does WiFi and Ethernet work with AppleVTD enabled?

Yes, it appears that my rig broke at some point during the 13.3 update process. After I used your EFI to boot my system, it restarted a couple of times, then I landed successfully in Ventura 13.3. I did replace my DeviceProperties and my serials etc. I didn't change these parameters in your EFI, so I believe AppleVTD is enabled. WiFi (Fenvi 919) and Ethernet (on board) are working.

Update:
  • Unchecking the Aquantia SSDT and “ForceAquantiaEthernet” quirk disabled the card, but WiFi and Ethernet continue to work normally with AppleVTD in Ventura 13.3
  • Physically removing the Aquantia 113C also has no effect — WiFi and other Ethernet ports continue to function properly
My Z490 Vision D, however, has the problem. Its WiFi does not work, but its Ethernet ports continue to work.

I will troubleshoot on the Z490 Vision D. I have already extracted all the kexts from 13.2 and 13.3. Next, I need to compare the right files.

@CaseySJ

I'm using BIOS F9i, i9-9900K, VT-d is enabled. I cleared CMOS and reset the BIOS based on Post 1 instructions to be sure I hadn't changed anything there. I did a full re-install of Ventura 13.3 since I had done the delta update.

I booted from a thumb drive using the CaseySJ EFI folder less the Aquantia-related SSDT and Kernel checkbox. Still no WiFi or Ethernet, which is illogical -- but that's hackintoshing!

I will just use the other workaround that works for me to get WiFi and Ethernet:

Kernel --> Quirks --> DisableIoMapper --> Check ON
ACPI --> Add --> SSDT-DMAR.aml --> Check OFF
ACPI --> Delete --> DMAR --> Check OFF
BIOS Setup --> VT-d --> this can be left ENABLED at all times

@CaseySJ

I'm using BIOS F9i, i9-9900K, VT-d is enabled. I cleared CMOS and reset the BIOS based on Post 1 instructions to be sure I hadn't changed anything there. I did a full re-install of Ventura 13.3 since I had done the delta update.

I booted from a thumb drive using the CaseySJ EFI folder less the Aquantia-related SSDT and Kernel checkbox. Still no WiFi or Ethernet, which is illogical -- but that's hackintoshing!

I will just use the other workaround that works for me to get WiFi and Ethernet:

Kernel --> Quirks --> DisableIoMapper --> Check ON
ACPI --> Add --> SSDT-DMAR.aml --> Check OFF
ACPI --> Delete --> DMAR --> Check OFF
BIOS Setup --> VT-d --> this can be left ENABLED at all times
I should mention that on my Z390 Designare I have two 8GB DIMMs at 3200MHz. Not sure if that matters, but it is another difference.

no success so far:
I tried with a new install of Ventura 13.3 with a macpro7,1 SMBIOS = still no Wifi, no lower ethernet port.
Booted with OC 090 that Casey provided = lower ethernet port does not work, wifi I could not check quickly (I use intel wifi) but I doubt it would work.
I do have my RAM overclocked to 3600 - will try lowering that. EDIT: No change with 2666mhz

Last edited:
If you have an 8-core or larger CPU, please change ProcessorType in PlatformInfo -> DataHub to 3841 (it is currently 1537 for my 6-core CPU).
Hey @CaseySJ;
I’m curious, this is not something I’ve ever changed (from 0), and yet my systems all report correctly for my i9-9900k. I did a dive into dortania’s explanation and I’m not sure I’m understanding if it’s necessary or not — perhaps only if using a processor that doesn’t conform to the Apple SMBIOS for the one you’re using? Which is strange, cuz I’m on iMacPro on all, which, of course is Xeon.
Thanks!
J

Hey @CaseySJ;
I’m curious, this is not something I’ve ever changed (from 0), and yet my systems all report correctly for my i9-9900k. I did a dive into dortania’s explanation and I’m not sure I’m understanding if it’s necessary or not — perhaps only if using a processor that doesn’t conform to the Apple SMBIOS for the one you’re using? Which is strange, cuz I’m on iMacPro on all, which, of course is Xeon.
Thanks!
J
You're right -- this is not a crucial parameter. For the most part we can ignore it, but if we use RestrictEvents.kext then it matters.

My Z490 Vision D, however, has the problem. Its WiFi does not work, but its Ethernet ports continue to work.

I will troubleshoot on the Z490 Vision D. I have already extracted all the kexts from 13.2 and 13.3. Next, I need to compare the right files.
Interim update:
  • Broadcom firmware files were updated between macOS 13.2 and 13.3
    • BCMWLANFirmware43xx_Hashstore.kext
  • The main Broadcom kext has undergone a fair amount of change between macOS 13.2 and 13.3
    • IO80211FamilyLegacy
However, because Intel WiFi and both 1GbE and 2.5GbE Ethernet ports are also affected on many Gigabyte Z390/Z490 systems, the problem might be in a common parent of these networking drivers.

** Update on WiFi and Ethernet Issues in macOS 13.3 **
Glimmer of Hope

Further investigation shows conclusively that a change made in IOPCIFamily.kext is responsible for the WiFi and Ethernet problems we're experiencing in macOS 13.3.

The change was introduced in one of the late beta builds. In other words, macOS 13.3 beta builds 1, 2 and 3 work properly. I haven't checked all of the subsequent beta builds.

We expect Apple to post the source code for IOPCIFamily to their open source website soon. Then it should be possible to isolate the problem and create a patch.

I have manually inserted IOPCIFamily from an early 13.3 beta build into a late 13.3 beta build, and everything is working normally again.

Here's my Z490 Vision D with WiFi restored in 13.3 late beta build:

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 3.45.39 PM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
Is there an updated dual boot manual? The old link I had bookmarked seems to not work? Trying to get windows onto this already hackintosh

@CaseySJ
Is there an updated dual boot manual? The old link I had bookmarked seems to not work? Trying to get windows onto this already hackintosh
This is actually quite easy to do:

Windows 10:
  • Boot macOS first and format the Windows SSD in Disk Utility:
    • Name: Anything
    • Format: ExFAT
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Shutdown the computer
  • Physically disconnect all macOS SSDs -- yes we have to do this
  • Create USB install disk for Windows 10 using Windows "Media Creation Tool"
  • Boot the USB install disk and follow the installation Wizard
Windows 11:
  • Boot macOS first and format the Windows SSD in Disk Utility:
    • Name: Anything
    • Format: ExFAT
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Create USB install disk for Windows 11 using Windows "Media Creation Tool"
  • Boot the USB install disk and follow the installation Wizard
    • When you reach the screen that asks which disk to install Windows onto, be sure to select the ExFAT disk
    • To be 100% safe, you can also shutdown the computer and physically disconnect all macOS disks (optional in Windows 11, but necessary in Windows 10)
When Windows is installed, reconnect macOS disks and go to BIOS Setup -> Boot section. Then change Boot Priority #1 to the OpenCore disk.

Back