Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yeah, I think I'll have to bite the bullet and do that. Unfortunately, it's not so inexpensive where I live.
Since you don't have a PCIe 4.0 capable motherboard, the WD Black SN770 will be fine. Cost is significantly less than the SN850X.

The Samsung drives will work fine with HFS+ but not with APFS. Especially since Monterey was released. What many people do is clone their Samsung drive to a WD Black NVMe and then boot from that. Prices have come way down the last few months so it's very inexpensive to do this.
Can I convert my Ventura drive to HFS+ ?

No, since Catalina, you need two APFS volumes for the OS. One is locked and the other is exposed to the user. It was possible until Mojave but with the drawback that MacOS updates weren't possible...

I've done it in Catalina before using the guide from here via using ditto. Not sure about Ventura, but I did come across someone who claimed to have success in Monterey from here. But I don't think it's worth doing it. A lot of trouble may come with it even if was successful.

I've done it in Catalina before using the guide from here via using ditto. Not sure about Ventura, but I did come across someone who claimed to have success in Monterey from here. But I don't think it's worth doing it. A lot of trouble may come with it even if was successful.
I didn't even thought it was possible. Thanks for the correction.

I'll try that over the weekend on an external HDD I have. It's gonna be super slow, though.

@CaseySJ Hi Casey, Thanks for your amazing work. I am in the process of trying out this build and my Monterey usb boot drive is freezing on the Apple Logo. Any ideas what could be the cause? thanks in advance.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Hi Casey, Thanks for your amazing work. I am in the process of trying out this build and my Monterey usb boot drive is freezing on the Apple Logo. Any ideas what could be the cause? thanks in advance.
At the OpenCore boot picker, simply press and release CMD-V to enable verbose logs, then select the option to install macOS. We can then capture a photo of the screen when boot log stops.

Would be good to double-check all BIOS parameters, including CFG-Lock (which needs to be disabled).

Recently I'm getting random crashes at boot time, error report and EFI folder (serials removed) attached.
Maybe someone can have a look at it and point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Someone can help please? Every about 2nd time I boot it crashes, it first happened after update to Ventura 13.2

Back