Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Wow! Thank you so much for the fast response. I'm running that right now. I guess now every backup it's like a FULL backup? Cuz it's taking a while to run...
Ah, we only need to follow those steps in my previous post one time. Subsequent runs of the same backup task in CCC will be incremental rather than full (so much quicker). But incremental updates will not update the System volume. This means when the next version of macOS is installed, it won't be backed up (i.e. the System folder will not be backed up), but your data will always be backed up.

To make a full backup in the future, it will be necessary to erase the backup disk then follow the two steps in my previous post. That will cause the APFS Replicator to kick in once again.

Ah, we only need to follow those steps in my previous post one time. Subsequent runs of the same backup task in CCC will be incremental rather than full (so much quicker). But incremental updates will not update the System volume. This means when the next version of macOS is installed, it won't be backed up (i.e. the System folder will not be backed up), but your data will always be backed up.

To make a full backup in the future, it will be necessary to erase the backup disk then follow the two steps in my previous post. That will cause the APFS Replicator to kick in once again.
Ok! Thank you so much for the clarification!

Ok! Thank you so much for the clarification!
Yes, it’s a bit more tricky now with CCC. Fortunately, in my case, I’m still doing it on an USB 3 external dock but I wouldn’t erase each time if it was an SSD. Not good for wear and tear!

The backup just completed, now it shows in OC boot loader, but both (system disk and backup) show as "Monterey". Is there a way to distinguish them?
Also, both EFI partitions are showing, can I hide those?
We should actually take the backup disk out and perhaps install it in an external USB enclosure. The backup disk really needs to be offline and kept safe.

If the backup disk is installed all the time, accidental writes and deletes can happen.

We should actually take the backup disk out and perhaps install it in an external USB enclosure. The backup disk really needs to be offline and kept safe.

If the backup disk is installed all the time, accidental writes and deletes can happen.
That makes sense. What about the EFI partitions?

Another weird observation: Booting from the backup (SATA) is MUCH faster than booting from the system drive (NVMe). Should I be worried?
Should be the reverse, weird!

Maybe the boot caches and kextcache is cleaner on the clone? NVMe is a Samsung drive perhaps? Some Samsungs NVMe are known for their broken TRIM implementation.

Should be the reverse, weird!

Maybe the boot caches and kextcache is cleaner on the clone? NVMe is a Samsung problematic drive perhaps?
NVMe is Samsung 970 Pro. Never heard of issues with it.
During the boot the HDD led on the case flashes like crazy, so something is definitely happening.

Back