Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

10 GbE for NAS, 1 GbE for general networking, 1 GbE for my audio interface. Broadcom USB 2.5 GbE adapters work fine.
Not being in audio at all, the concept of Ethernet-based audio interfaces looks weird beyond belief… So, let's keep one interface for that. Why not put the NAS on "general" 10 GbE networking? There are relatively inexpensive 10 GbE switches such as the QNAP QWS-M408 series or Mikrotik CRS-305-1G-4S+IN / CRS-309-1G-8S+IN — and these are managed switches, so if the concern is to keep the NAS totally off the Internet for safety this can be done.

DAS is fine. This works? No problems with sleep?
Thunderbolt DAS is NOT fine. These are typically hidden NAS serving a single client through Thunderbolt networking; so would require Thunderbolt bus on the client side, and that's only going to be a bag of hurt (doesn't work on Maple Ridge, save for Asus boards using Big Sur; Gigabyte is currently busy removing BIOS support for Titan Ridge).

Plus GPU. So, 1 slot short for most mobo's.
The GPU accounts for itself. Assuming that WiFi is taken care of from a M.2 2230 module, my search for socket 1700 motherboards with at least two x4 slots and at least one x1 slot yields 14 results, mostly from Asus Prime range.
Most actually have PCIe 4.0 x4 (in x16 slot, 10 GbE NIC… may well be a card with two interfaces), PCIe 3.0 x4 (GC-TitanRidge AIC) and two PCIe 3.0 x1, which is one too many (or allows for a Fenvi WiFi/BT card).
That's not too bad for a very specific set of requirements. For boards which are just one slot short, converting a M.2 slot would do.

Didn't know about m2 to pcie adapters... Indeed, 3 x M2 will be enough.
Look into ADT-Link R41/R42/R43 series once you have settled on a board and case… Their flat ribbon cables do not bend easily (they are designed NOT to be bent sharply), so you need to think carefully about cable routing and get just the right length (certainly no less but much preferably not much more!) with the right geometry.

Another option would be Zen4, with the potentially insane amount of I/O from X670 chipsets (actually, even B650 may do). But this first requires validating that your audio software does work properly on a "Ryzentosh" now that AVX-512 is supported.

Hi everyone.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but what do you think about this news ?

Looks like Samsung fix is not a complete fix.

Hi everyone.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but what do you think about this news ?

Looks like Samsung fix is not a complete fix.
I stopped using Samsung SSDs for macOS a while back when the TRIM issues started happening. I still have a couple 980 Pros running Windows 10 or 11 without issue although to be fair I don't boot that OS very often. If I understand the news regarding the 990 Pros, they are still going to be issuing a firmware update this month to address the heath degradation issues. The 980 Pros firmware has already been updated.

what do you think about this news ?
It makes no sense to buy a 990 Pro for use with any OS. It costs $110 more (2TB version) than the SN850X. That WD Black NVMe has a large DRam cache, is just as fast and durable as the Samsung. It has no firmware issues. What reason would anyone have to choose the 990 Pro ?

Screen Shot 1.jpg
Screen Shot 3.jpg

I would even opt for the SN770 2TB before a Samsung NVMe. It's really the best value available today. It sells for a lower price because it has no DRam. As a boot drive it's fine, just use the SN850X as a scratch drive instead of a 770.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Last edited:
It makes no sense to buy a 990 Pro for use with any OS. It costs $110 more (2TB version) than the SN850X. That WD Black NVMe has a large DRam cache, is just as fast and durable as the Samsung. It has no firmware issues. What reason would anyone have to choose the 990 Pro ?

View attachment 563177View attachment 563178

I would even opt for the SN770 2TB before a Samsung NVMe. It's really the best value available today. It sells for a lower price because it has no DRam. As a boot drive it's fine, just use the SN850X as a scratch drive instead of a 770.

View attachment 563179

Want to laugh a little ?
Check the price of the 2tb sn850x from my local dealer.
9B579B25-5400-4B88-B6D4-618AF7EB342A.png

Hello sweet ppl from the interwebs!

I'm currently running this build with Monterey 12.4, OC 0.7.4

Can I update through system preferences to Ventura after a regular OC update? Or do I require any special updates?
Do I need to update BIOS to the newest modded F9i?

Hi @CaseySJ,
Hi All,
I recently installed macOS Monterey (Opencore + Intel BT/WiFi kexts) on my system based on Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard following Your various guides (Thanks!) but unfortunately I am experiencing a problem: sometimes (randomly it seems) during the shutdown the screen goes black but the machine stays on and I have to force shutdown by lpressing the power button so when I restart I have the usual macOS messagge.
I unchecked all power saving settings but to no avail.
Do You have any suggestions on how to try to fix the problem?
Thanks in advance for Your help

Hi @CaseySJ,
Hi All,
I recently installed macOS Monterey (Opencore + Intel BT/WiFi kexts) on my system based on Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard following Your various guides (Thanks!) but unfortunately I am experiencing a problem: sometimes (randomly it seems) during the shutdown the screen goes black but the machine stays on and I have to force shutdown by lpressing the power button so when I restart I have the usual macOS messagge.
I unchecked all power saving settings but to no avail.
Do You have any suggestions on how to try to fix the problem?
Thanks in advance for Your help
Some questions:
  • Does this problem occur when a Thunderbolt device is attached? Or even in the absence of Thunderbolt devices?
  • Does it happen when a particular USB device is attached?
  • Is Monterey a fresh installation or an in-place upgrade from Mojave or Catalina or Big Sur?
  • Do you remember selecting Load Optimized Defaults as the first step when configuring BIOS parameters?
  • Are you on either BIOS F9g or F9i?
  • Have you tried a CMOS Reset?

Back