Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi, @CaseySJ!

Sorry for posting repeatedly in the recent weeks. :)

Currently, I don't have any problem with my Ventura/OC 0.8.6/0.8.7 setup. (OC picker shows 0.8.7, although I used OC Configurator 0.8.6 version and 0.8.6 EFI you supplied.), But before that setup I had the problem with my config.plist populated with unnecessary stuff. I think from HackinDROM macOS App (stuff like Aquantia drivers and configs, which I never installed manually). So I'm a bit hesitant to use HackinDROM App to update my drivers and config file as it's not so transparent about what is updated/replaced and what is not. I'm not saying that it has any malicious stuff. But I just have the feeling that it may corrupt a working OC config if something goes wrong and the only way to check if it did is to manually compare with a previous version from OC Configurator.

So I would like to do manual updates to my OC. What method would you recommend? If it won't be too much work for you, I really loved your update posts which summarized what is changed and what is not related to this specific setup (Z390 Designare). If an update post is too much work, I'd also be very happy to see a barebones OC config as you supply from time to time; this OC/EFI zip file doesn't have to be supplied immediately after a new version comes, I'm okay if it comes 1-2 months later as I don't need to update that often, personally. And if none of this would work for you, what resources would you recommend me to check for updating my OC/EFI? Most of the time I check Acidanthera GitHub repo releases pages for updated OpenCore or drivers/kexts, same for WEG, Lilu etc., so it's no problem to trying to find a new version of these stuff. I'm mostly confused when I read the changelog of new OC releases and try to relate Z390 Designare related updates/additions/removals.

You already did so much for the community so I don't really want to take more of your time by preparing detailed update posts, but in general I would appreciate any guidance on how I should approach updating OC/EFI manually. I can of course continue using HackinDROM but i feel like doing manual updates may help me understand what changes break/fix things.

Hi Casey, I've found after updating that Bluetooth stops working after wake up from sleep, any known recipe for this behavior?

Thanks a lot!
Are you using a Broadcom WiFi/BT module or built-in Intel WiFi/BT?

If you’re using Broadcom module, try disabling SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext.

This will require 2 key presses to wake from sleep, but let’s first see whether it helps with Bluetooth.

@echosat1

I do have a brief guide on manually updating OpenCore:

Each release of OpenCore contains a document called Changes.pdf. And there is also a sample.plist file that shows the latest config.plist schema (schema refers to all the parameters inside config.plist).

@echosat1

I do have a brief guide on manually updating OpenCore:

Each release of OpenCore contains a document called Changes.pdf. And there is also a sample.plist file that shows the latest config.plist schema (schema refers to all the parameters inside config.plist).

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you again :)

If you’re using Broadcom module, try disabling SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext.

This will require 2 key presses to wake from sleep, but let’s first see whether it helps with Bluetooth.

I'm using a Fenvi card, tried disabling both, but still same issue

I'm using a Fenvi card, tried disabling both, but still same issue
We can also disable BlueToolFixup, BrcmPatchRAM3, and BrcmFirmwareData from Kernel section of config.plist.

Is the system booting from the correct disk? When there are two or more bootable disks, we must press F12 at the Gigabyte splash screen (during boot) to open the BIOS boot menu (not OpenCore boot picker). Then we select the disk containing the correct EFI folder (USB flash disk in your case).

When OpenCore boot picker appears we can check its version number in the bottom right of the window.

At the OpenCore boot picker we can also press and release CMD-V to enable verbose logs, then select a boot disk.
- Yes, I'm pressing F12 to choose my boot disk (see screenshot, where my mouse is pointing).
- OpenCore version at the bottom right is: REL-087-2022-12-06
- Verbose logs are in the video attached (zip file)

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm so sad it's not working as it should be!
Especially since my first Hackintosh with clover and your guide worked so well (I did it in just a couple of hours!!) and now I'm spending much more time trying to do a simple clean install, it's frustrating :(

Attachments

• 20221230_001714.jpg
    20221230_001714.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20221230_002001.mp4.zip
    22.8 MB · Views: 16
- Yes, I'm pressing F12 to choose my boot disk (see screenshot, where my mouse is pointing).
- OpenCore version at the bottom right is: REL-087-2022-12-06
- Verbose logs are in the video attached (zip file)

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm so sad it's not working as it should be!
Especially since my first Hackintosh with clover and your guide worked so well (I did it in just a couple of hours!!) and now I'm spending much more time trying to do a simple clean install, it's frustrating :(
Please try disabling NVMeFix.kext in Kernel section of config.plist. This may or may not help — the last log entry in the video states that NVMeFix was started, and then no further logs are displayed.

Let’s also change SetApfsTrimTimeout to 0.

We can also disable BlueToolFixup, BrcmPatchRAM3, and BrcmFirmwareData from Kernel section of config.plist.

Also tried disabling those, same result

Also tried disabling those, same result
After waking from sleep, we can manually disable and re-enable Bluetooth from the menu bar. That’s not ideal, but it’s better than rebooting.

By the way, my Fenvi wakes up properly from sleep (Bluetooth and WiFi).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem (Bluetooth does not wake from sleep)? If so, which version of macOS are you running?

Back