Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

OpenCore Configurator 2.65.0.0 is now available. Please set it to "0.8.7 Release Configuration".

Hi @CaseySJ,

I recently updated my PC to macOS Ventura, and I want to share my experience as a success story, but with some recent problems.

A bit background; I had problems with the Bluetooth (BCM94360CS2 with PCIe adapter) since updating to Monterey and practically Bluetooth was useless. I'm using Ethernet to connect to the Internet so Wi-Fi and Bluetooth was turned off most of the time, except when I needed. Bluetooth problems were basically that the Magic Keyboard couldn't wake the PC. Most of the time, after the wake, Bluetooth processes were going crazy until they were disabled, and enabled again. (I wrote about these in January and February.) Another "problem" was that I didn't really listened to the recommending against buying Samsung 870 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe, and the boot time increased with each OC + macOS update, from 40 seconds to well over 2 minutes. This was annoying to say the least.

Solutions: I came to my senses and bought WD SN850 M.2 NVMe SSD. Instead of using HackinDROM app to update the current OC config, I started from a good base, 0.8.6 EFI + Config, the one you shared in this thread. Unfortunately & fortunately this was an Intel WiFi config. So I had to research this thread, and some other forums on the Internet to understand which ones I definitely need, and which ones I should try if there is any problem. So I created a Broadcom version of that Config (just check/uncheck of kexts and drivers, basically). I did a complete fresh install on the new SSD. I didn't installed the Broadcom card before the installation process is done, and the machine works as expected after that I installed the Broadcom. The result is that Broadcom BCM94360CS2 works flawlessly with ALL continuity features working (including Contiunity Camera, Contiunity Markup/Sketch, AirPlay, AirDrop, Handoff, Universal Clipboard, SMS, Phone etc., the ones I could test. Unfortunately I don't have an iPad to test the Sidecar, nor i have an Apple Watch to test the Unlock feature, though I believe these will work as well.).

There is one "trick" or "flaw" to wake process though. When I press a key on Magic Keyboard, hardware immediately wakes but it takes 30 seconds for the display to be enabled. This also happens only after the monitor tries to go idle because there is no signal is coming. If I press a key at this point, in 1-2 seconds the display turns on. I can totally live with that. I think this is normal? (It wakes from the sleep without the need to connect the keyboard to USB. I'm totally fine with 30 seconds waiting.)

Now to problems... So i have the "new" setup since some days and especially today somehow problems started to arise:
1) I have a USB-C webcam (Logitech Streamcam) and even though FaceTime can show the camera everytime, Logitech G Hub doesn't and i need to hotplug the usb-c cable, and after that it works as expected. I'm not sure if this is related with Thunderbolt, although it's not a TB device, it's using the TB/USB-C ports.
2) EDIT: I just thought about doing a Cold Start (turning of the PSU, then disconnecting the power cable and reconnecting, turning on PSU, then boot) and it starts to function like expected. I hope this was a temporary hicup, but looks like the problem is solved by itself (Magic Keyboard + Trackpad works with BIOS, OC, Windows and macOS). Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad was working the last days from boot/BIOS, to Windows login, and to macOS login. This evening somehow it stopped working, i tried many times but no avail the devices are not recognized/usable in BIOS + boot. Also the bluetooth stopped working with Windows 10 but it works as expected in macOS after I login. To be able to login and boot into BIOS, I must use the USB cable with the magic keyboard. This is very annoying, I have no idea why it was working and now it doesn't? This is my biggest problem with the setup right now, and I'm dedicated to solve it. I don't think this is anyway related to OpenCore, kexts or anything macOS related as the BCM94360CS2 bluetooth stopped working in Windows 10 as well and magic keyboard was working over bluetooth before OpenCore even loaded (so even if I get any other keyboard or Magic Keyboard 2, i suppose that problem will continue. I think it's related with the BCM card + adapter somehow). Do you have any idea how to solve this? I will try CMOS reset tomorrow, i can only think of this as a solution, I looked all the BIOS settings but either I overlooked at something or there is nothing to see (BIOS is not in fast-boot).
When I started to write this message in the morning there were no USB-C or Bluetooth problems, and I was planning to write this message as a success story and I was planning to share the modified 0.8.6 config + EFI (for Broadcom + AMD GPU), and I will do this just as an example for other people but first I want to solve this Bluetooth on boot problem.

(I'm really sorry for the huge wall of text, I just wanted to be as clear as possible. It goes without saying that I'm in awe of your service to this community, replying thousands of messages almost daily for the last 4 years. Thank you, you are the reason many people jumped into this experiment, me including.)

Last edited:
as the BCM94360CS2 bluetooth stopped working in Windows 10
Check Windows device manager to see if Intel Bluetooth is enabled. Better yet, check your BIOS to see if onboard wifi is disabled. If already disabled, try removing Bluetooth driver and reinstall it.

as well and magic keyboard was working over bluetooth before OpenCore even loaded (so even if I get any other keyboard or Magic Keyboard 2, i suppose that problem will continue.
I have FV-T919 card. From time to time, I have to completely power off the system to get Magic Keyboard/Trackpad functionality back in BIOS. I figured that my FV-T919 stays powered on even after shutting down the computer and somehow Magic Keyboard/Trackpad won't work at boot after a while. Only solution was to unplug the power cord to power down FV-T919. To save myself a trouble, now I just keep ErP enabled in BIOS so the system completely powers off upon shutting down from OS.

Hi @CaseySJ,

I recently updated my PC to macOS Ventura, and I want to share my experience as a success story, but with some recent problems.

A bit background; I had problems with the Bluetooth (BCM94360CS2 with PCIe adapter) since updating to Monterey and practically Bluetooth was useless. I'm using Ethernet to connect to the Internet so Wi-Fi and Bluetooth was turned off most of the time, except when I needed. Bluetooth problems were basically that the Magic Keyboard couldn't wake the PC. Most of the time, after the wake, Bluetooth processes were going crazy until they were disabled, and enabled again. (I wrote about these in January and February.) Another "problem" was that I didn't really listened to the recommending against buying Samsung 870 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe, and the boot time increased with each OC + macOS update, from 40 seconds to well over 2 minutes. This was annoying to say the least.

Solutions: I came to my senses and bought WD SN850 M.2 NVMe SSD. Instead of using HackinDROM app to update the current OC config, I started from a good base, 0.8.6 EFI + Config, the one you shared in this thread. Unfortunately & fortunately this was an Intel WiFi config. So I had to research this thread, and some other forums on the Internet to understand which ones I definitely need, and which ones I should try if there is any problem. So I created a Broadcom version of that Config (just check/uncheck of kexts and drivers, basically). I did a complete fresh install on the new SSD. I didn't installed the Broadcom card before the installation process is done, and the machine works as expected after that I installed the Broadcom. The result is that Broadcom BCM94360CS2 works flawlessly with ALL continuity features working (including Contiunity Camera, Contiunity Markup/Sketch, AirPlay, AirDrop, Handoff, Universal Clipboard, SMS, Phone etc., the ones I could test. Unfortunately I don't have an iPad to test the Sidecar, nor i have an Apple Watch to test the Unlock feature, though I believe these will work as well.).

There is one "trick" or "flaw" to wake process though. When I press a key on Magic Keyboard, hardware immediately wakes but it takes 30 seconds for the display to be enabled. This also happens only after the monitor tries to go idle because there is no signal is coming. If I press a key at this point, in 1-2 seconds the display turns on. I can totally live with that. I think this is normal? (It wakes from the sleep without the need to connect the keyboard to USB. I'm totally fine with 30 seconds waiting.)

Now to problems... So i have the "new" setup since some days and especially today somehow problems started to arise:
1) I have a USB-C webcam (Logitech Streamcam) and even though FaceTime can show the camera everytime, Logitech G Hub doesn't and i need to hotplug the usb-c cable, and after that it works as expected. I'm not sure if this is related with Thunderbolt, although it's not a TB device, it's using the TB/USB-C ports.
2) EDIT: I just thought about doing a Cold Start (turning of the PSU, then disconnecting the power cable and reconnecting, turning on PSU, then boot) and it starts to function like expected. I hope this was a temporary hicup, but looks like the problem is solved by itself (Magic Keyboard + Trackpad works with BIOS, OC, Windows and macOS). Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad was working the last days from boot/BIOS, to Windows login, and to macOS login. This evening somehow it stopped working, i tried many times but no avail the devices are not recognized/usable in BIOS + boot. Also the bluetooth stopped working with Windows 10 but it works as expected in macOS after I login. To be able to login and boot into BIOS, I must use the USB cable with the magic keyboard. This is very annoying, I have no idea why it was working and now it doesn't? This is my biggest problem with the setup right now, and I'm dedicated to solve it. I don't think this is anyway related to OpenCore, kexts or anything macOS related as the BCM94360CS2 bluetooth stopped working in Windows 10 as well and magic keyboard was working over bluetooth before OpenCore even loaded (so even if I get any other keyboard or Magic Keyboard 2, i suppose that problem will continue. I think it's related with the BCM card + adapter somehow). Do you have any idea how to solve this? I will try CMOS reset tomorrow, i can only think of this as a solution, I looked all the BIOS settings but either I overlooked at something or there is nothing to see (BIOS is not in fast-boot).
When I started to write this message in the morning there were no USB-C or Bluetooth problems, and I was planning to write this message as a success story and I was planning to share the modified 0.8.6 config + EFI (for Broadcom + AMD GPU), and I will do this just as an example for other people but first I want to solve this Bluetooth on boot problem.

(I'm really sorry for the huge wall of text, I just wanted to be as clear as possible. It goes without saying that I'm in awe of your service to this community, replying thousands of messages almost daily for the last 4 years. Thank you, you are the reason many people jumped into this experiment, me including.)

USB-C over TB does not work due to the 15 port limit in OS X.
If using the Z390 Designaire board, then use the new .aml file Casey posted a few pages ago for me. It will enable the above and disable the 2 yellow USB/dac ports.

You should then be able to use a single TB cable to monitor, and use any downstream USB 2/3 ports on your monitor, as well.

My Intel wifi is disabled in the BIOS, and I am using a Fenvi card like you with no issues at all.

I am on Monterey with OpenCore 0.8.3 and everything is working far better than Mojave on Clover.

Check Windows device manager to see if Intel Bluetooth is enabled. Better yet, check your BIOS to see if onboard wifi is disabled. If already disabled, try removing Bluetooth driver and reinstall it.

I have FV-T919 card. From time to time, I have to completely power off the system to get Magic Keyboard/Trackpad functionality back in BIOS. I figured that my FV-T919 stays powered on even after shutting down the computer and somehow Magic Keyboard/Trackpad won't work at boot after a while. Only solution was to unplug the power cord to power down FV-T919. To save myself a trouble, now I just keep ErP enabled in BIOS so the system completely powers off upon shutting down from OS.
Yes, I keep the Intel card disabled. Also thinking about physically removing it as well as long as Broadcom card is working.

Thanks for the affirmation that it happens and a cold start, or ErP enabling BIOS solves the problem. I will try this as well.

Hi @CaseySJ... How are you? Long time we don't speak! Really hope everything is fine with you!

I have a 'small problem' regarding my previous Hackintosh built (Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme) that has been running quite fine glad to your help in the past. This machine now belongs to my kid, that really loves to have a computer with dual boot Mac and Windows.

The thing is that this has been runnig MacOS Monterey, and yesterday I decided to upgrade to MacOS Ventura.

I updated first Opencore to 0.8.7 using HackinDROM, and after that did the normal software update trough Mac System Preferences.

The thing is that during the install after the opencore boot on 'MacOS Install' the installation process is now stuck in the progress bar with Apple logo.

Luckily if I force restart I sill can boot using 'old' Monterery disk.

Do you have any idea why it does not boot? Is it me or I remember that we should change something on the BIOS settings before the upgrade to MacOS Ventura?

Thanks in advance for your help!

USB-C over TB does not work due to the 15 port limit in OS X.
If using the Z390 Designaire board, then use the new .aml file Casey posted a few pages ago for me. It will enable the above and disable the 2 yellow USB/dac ports.

You should then be able to use a single TB cable to monitor, and use any downstream USB 2/3 ports on your monitor, as well.

My Intel wifi is disabled in the BIOS, and I am using a Fenvi card like you with no issues at all.

I am on Monterey with OpenCore 0.8.3 and everything is working far better than Mojave on Clover.
I'm using the EFI provided by @CaseySJ (#36906), although I modified it to use Broadcom card, as that EFI config setup for the Intel card. I didn't tried all the USB ports at once, but i'm actually able to use all USB hubs/ports somehow (HS09, HS03, HS04, HS07) and also USB-C ports are working. Logitech Streamcam working with the FaceTime without unplug-plug cycle but the Logitech G Hub needs the plug cycle, I was just wondering if there is any problem with the TB/USB-C ports. Thank you for the information, I will test out if they are indeed working. Unfortunately I don't have a dedicated TB device, so can't really test the Thunderbolt.

Hi @CaseySJ... How are you? Long time we don't speak! Really hope everything is fine with you!

I have a 'small problem' regarding my previous Hackintosh built (Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme) that has been running quite fine glad to your help in the past. This machine now belongs to my kid, that really loves to have a computer with dual boot Mac and Windows.

The thing is that this has been runnig MacOS Monterey, and yesterday I decided to upgrade to MacOS Ventura.

I updated first Opencore to 0.8.7 using HackinDROM, and after that did the normal software update trough Mac System Preferences.

The thing is that during the install after the opencore boot on 'MacOS Install' the installation process is now stuck in the progress bar with Apple logo.

Luckily if I force restart I sill can boot using 'old' Monterery disk.

Do you have any idea why it does not boot? Is it me or I remember that we should change something on the BIOS settings before the upgrade to MacOS Ventura?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Use this EFI (0.8.6) posted by @CaseySJ , and do a fresh install (change the kexts and drivers, if you are using Broadcom instead of Intel Bluetooth card). I was using HackinDROM to update the EFI but i feel like my config was filled with stuff I didn't need (like Aquantia drivers etc.). I can also post my config, modified for Broadcom if you'd like.

I'm using the EFI provided by @CaseySJ (#36906), although I modified it to use Broadcom card, as that EFI config setup for the Intel card. I didn't tried all the USB ports at once, but i'm actually able to use all USB hubs/ports somehow (HS09, HS03, HS04, HS07) and also USB-C ports are working. Logitech Streamcam working with the FaceTime without unplug-plug cycle but the Logitech G Hub needs the plug cycle, I was just wondering if there is any problem with the TB/USB-C ports. Thank you for the information, I will test out if they are indeed working. Unfortunately I don't have a dedicated TB device, so can't really test the Thunderbolt.

I just realized that the Logitech G Hub wasn't working because i disabled the "background item" basically the daemon. That explains why FaceTime was working but the Logi G Hub wasn't. The same happened with VPN clients as well. Writing down here so if anybody search a similar problem they can see this.

Back